• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2012 11:24 am
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2004
263 posts
67 upvotes

[Royal Bank] FREE online tax returns from H&R Block for RBC clients

Tax season coming up in a few months! I received this in my RBC message centre. You’ll need to log in to RBC and go to your myFinanceTracker page in January to get this. It’s free for individuals and families in the same household. Never used H&R Block before (always used ufile). Anyone have experience with these guys? Guess they're pushing the myFinanceTracker (powered by Yodlee?) which isn't too shabby now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Coming soon: FREE* online tax returns from H&R Block through myFinanceTracker !

As tax season approaches, we are adding a new feature to our myFinanceTracker service called myTax Centre. Provided by H&R Block, myTax Centre can help you manage and plan your taxes with new tax-related apps.

You will also have access to a limited-time offer to file your taxes online with H&R Block for FREE between January 15 and March 31, 2012. This offer is exclusive to RBC Royal Bank clients and available through myTax Centre, a suite of tax-related apps within our myFinanceTracker service.

Watch for the new myTax Centre features and FREE tax filing with H&R Block coming in January!

*Offer expires March 31st, 2012. Offer applies to single or family returns filed by the same household, up to a maximum of 20 returns, as stipulated by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Individuals can transmit their tax returns using the CRA s free Internet transmission service, Netfile; however, there are some types of tax returns that cannot be submitted electronically. Please visit the CRA website (www.cra-arc.gc.ca) for details.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A B A
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2210 posts
452 upvotes
Lethbridge
Huge, good to know.

I was dreading filling mine out this year with a new house purchase, mat leave, first kid, etc.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
1687 posts
855 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm a little confused. So H&R will actually do your taxes for free, or is it basically free software for you to file your own taxes?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
Sucks that it's a March 31st deadline, I imagine that's to try get people using it earlier though before H&R gets flooded. But when the T3 filing deadline is March 31st it's going to be hard for a lot of people to take advantage of this.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
2922 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver
champdood wrote:
Dec 30th, 2011 2:36 pm
Sucks that it's a March 31st deadline, I imagine that's to try get people using it earlier though before H&R gets flooded. But when the T3 filing deadline is March 31st it's going to be hard for a lot of people to take advantage of this.

yea it is a pain in ass to get those T3 in time, there are always one or two that get delivered in april. plus they always amend T3 after i filed.
Nov 19, 2009
24 posts
12 upvotes
Everyone should know that if you sign up with MyFinanceTracker, RBC gains the right to sell your personal/account information to 3rd parties. READ THE FINE PRINT IN THE LEGAL SECTION.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2637 upvotes
Vancouver
kittkatt0 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2011 11:24 pm
Everyone should know that if you sign up with MyFinanceTracker, RBC gains the right to sell your personal/account information to 3rd parties. READ THE FINE PRINT IN THE LEGAL SECTION.

Thanks. That would make this offer a non-starter. The #1 requirement for any online tax software is 100% confidentiality and no other uses permitted.
Oct 18, 2003
946 posts
48 upvotes
Is it available yet (say Jan 15), I do not see myTax tab
---------------------

You will also have access to a limited-time offer to file your taxes online with H&R Block for FREE between January 15 and March 31, 2012. This offer is exclusive to RBC Royal Bank clients and available through myTax Centre, a suite of tax-related apps within our myFinanceTracker service.

Watch for the new myTax Centre features and FREE tax filing with H&R Block coming in January!
Feb 27, 2008
13 posts
2 upvotes
Alberta
Your personal data also looks like it is stored in the US:

Due to certain of the H&R Block Group (including H&R US) and our service providers and
strategic financial services associates being located in the United States, where your
personal information is processed or stored by any of these entities
, courts or law
enforcement or regulatory agencies in the United States may be able to obtain disclosure of
your personal information under the laws of the United States.

http://www.hrblock.ca/rbc/r/documents/h ... policy.pdf

Having my data stored in Canada is a big deal (To me). Turbotax is still the way to go imo
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2003
9959 posts
1112 upvotes
Guys, DO NOT let H and R Block staff do your taxes. Their staff have a minimal amount of training and tax returns are much too important and too much money is at stake. It's like letting a premed student perform surgery. This goes for any of those *tax prep* booths and businesses.

Either take the time to learn to do them yourself, or go to a real accountant that has proper training and experience. If your return is complicated an accountant is the only option in my opinion.

EDIT: It looks like this is just online software so you can do it yourself, and they can sell your data, therefore avoid this. Just use free Studiotax or pay the $20 for Ufile like I do.
Dec 5, 2005
942 posts
64 upvotes
Woodbridge
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 9:44 am
Guys, DO NOT let H and R Block staff do your taxes. Their staff have a minimal amount of training and tax returns are much too important and too much money is at stake. It's like letting a premed student perform surgery. This goes for any of those *tax prep* booths and businesses.

Either take the time to learn to do them yourself, or go to a real accountant that has proper training and experience. If your return is complicated an accountant is the only option in my opinion.

EDIT: It looks like this is just online software so you can do it yourself, and they can sell your data, therefore avoid this. Just use free Studiotax or pay the $20 for Ufile like I do.

+1, what he said.
× < >