• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2009 6:27 pm
May 18, 2007
172 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Char|otte wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 1:59 am
I just saw the Toronto screening and no IDs were being checked, but all bags were being searched by 'security' (or just some guy with that written on his shirt). And all cell phones were being confiscated for the time being and given back at the end of the movie -- under the pre-tense of it being a 'recording device' :P

But when I went to watch the screening of Last Chance Harvey, none of this invasion of privacy happened. Things were more enjoyable as opposed to an atmosphere of high alert and all the employees at the door being stressed out and such.
I've had to surrender my phone @ other screenings (ex the Namesake) too - I didn't the security were being uptight at all...
sheriffabc wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 11:22 am
just print another copy of invite if you need to take someone. Movie so-so, theatre only half full
Yeah, I went to Wednesday's Toronto screening - the theatre employees were really lax - the women I gave the email to barely checked it... I just changed the number of the seats to 2 - it worked for me, hopefully it'll work for others :cheesygri

... BTW - for those yet to see it, I REALLY liked this movie - real, relatable and unconventional story - ENJOY!
"Smile, it confuses people"
Sep 14, 2003
977 posts
1 upvote
Char|otte wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 1:59 am
I just saw the Toronto screening and no IDs were being checked, but all bags were being searched by 'security' (or just some guy with that written on his shirt). And all cell phones were being confiscated for the time being and given back at the end of the movie -- under the pre-tense of it being a 'recording device' :P

But when I went to watch the screening of Last Chance Harvey, none of this invasion of privacy happened. Things were more enjoyable as opposed to an atmosphere of high alert and all the employees at the door being stressed out and such.

I think I would pull my hair out before I would watch anything on a screen size of a matchbook for 2 hours, let alone try to record anything on said piece of crap!
If I were FOX Searchlight, I would just put a blanket statement on all future screenings:

"Due to ungrateful viewers like Char|otte, please do not bring any bags, phones, or recording devices."

On a positive note, great movie, great staff at 5th avenue theater, and great atmosphere. I am a fan FOX Searchlight.
Oct 3, 2005
469 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks! good to see Edmonton is starting to get some of these
Ordered a pair for myself, as well as one for a friend (same friend as in post #4, he is out of town and doesn't have internet access, so I signed him up).
Mar 5, 2006
387 posts
425 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP. However, more people might check out this thread if TO was removed from the title.
Oct 8, 2007
56 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Just to note, the Toronto 'Adam' screening (at Varsity, this coming Monday) is full.

Also, when I went to that 500 Days of Summer screening, they did indeed confiscate my cell phone, but my point-and-shoot camera capable of shooting (720p) HD was totally fine by them. Maybe they didn't see it, but that certainly would have given better quality than Char|otte's "matchbook-sized" screen. Not that I recorded it, of course, but it's the principle of the thing.
Sep 29, 2007
184 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
bembem wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 12:13 pm
If I were FOX Searchlight, I would just put a blanket statement on all future screenings:

"Due to ungrateful viewers like Char|otte, please do not bring any bags, phones, or recording devices."

On a positive note, great movie, great staff at 5th avenue theater, and great atmosphere. I am a fan FOX Searchlight.
There is a certain give-and-take when it comes to marketing and 'selling a movie' especially when it comes to eliciting a viral/word of mouth campaign through free screenings. That being said, there are certain boundaries that cannot be crossed and efforts should be made to avoid these (Orwellian) tactics.

The purpose of the security at this type of screening was to create an atmosphere of fear and apprehension so that those who choose to record will think twice before doing so... Fitly's post is an excellent example of this: it was easy to bring other recording devices into the theatre as not every pocket of the bag was searched -- merely a quick glance into an opened bag at a distance.

Obviously Fox doesn't care whether people use a small cell phone to record the movie since this is almost impossible, but the goal was simply intimidation. The search and confiscation technique was obviously pointless since nothing had to be taken out of anyone's bag, but rather it was done just so they can demonstrate the "security presence." If the goal was to prevent recordings, one of the employees who was guarding the entrance the entire time of the movie could have positioned themselves inside in such a way that they would spot a recording device being used (and simultaneously in such a way that he/she is not seen and not distracting to those watching the movie), thus eliminating the need for security (which was not used in other free screenings that I have attended).

However, these type of tactics are done at the expense of others rights to privacy, which were compromised at the screening.

Another assumption that is made by the organizers of this screening is that attendees will blindly hand over their cell phones/blackberries while failing to take into account the sensitive nature of information stored on those devices. Were they expecting the attendees to be those who might not have many funds at their disposal and thus be desperate for a free movie (for that reason)? Or did they forget about those who have certain careers and responsibilities to protect closely what's stored on their phones.

Coincidentally, the person who accompanied me to the screening works in a high profile corporate law firm and was "allowed" to keep the phone due to the obvious privacy concerns and perhaps also the look of fear in the security guard's eyes about the obvious consequences of trying to confiscate such a device. It seems some will easily give up their rights without thinking twice -- perhaps due to the misguided trust and obedience that so many effortlessly put into anyone who (tries to) resemble an authority figure.

However, this obviously brings into question why one person's phone might be more important than anothers; or why it is permissible to infringe on one individual's rights versus anothers based solely on any one variable, such as socio-economic status, as in the example mentioned.

Not taking into account that everyone can have sensitive data on their phones is discriminatory and an infringement of privacy.

(This also reminds me of a recent privacy-infringement lawsuit that was made against a theatre that searched bags for recording devices and outside food:
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/30/ca ... -fine.html)

I'm not particularly personally affected by the fact they had to confiscate the phones since this happens all the time (if fact I enjoyed the movie and happy to have attended the advance screening), but I just made this post to kindly delve a little more in depth into the issue and explore the ramifications for theoretical/educational sake (perhaps a gesture of public service, if you will) for some members who might have misunderstood my initial post as a sign of - quote - ungratefulness.
Nov 3, 2008
519 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Grrrr... I registered for Adam last night but the email never came through. Now, it's closed. That's aggravating.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2006
186 posts
24 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote:
Jul 7th, 2009 9:21 pm
LOL, didn't update with my info. Oh well, west gets shafted as usual :cheesygri
Sorry, M-e-X-x.
Honestly, I've never had a thread last more than a few posts. Not used to properly keeping it up to date. :(
doogle wrote:
Jul 7th, 2009 9:47 pm
Thanks OP. However, more people might check out this thread if TO was removed from the title.
I've removed TO from the title. This way, should they add more cities, it'll still apply.
Fitly wrote:
Jul 8th, 2009 2:27 am
Just to note, the Toronto 'Adam' screening (at Varsity, this coming Monday) is full.
I've also noted that the Toronto screening of "Adam" is full.
Feb 7, 2008
47 posts
21 upvotes
I have two tickets for today's screening (500 days' of summer) but I can no longer go.
PM if interested.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4506 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone here RSVP successfully for Adam in Toronto?

Would be grateful if you could email me a copy! fightbriz @ gmail.com

Thanks.