Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sport Chek

Free Skate Sharpening @ SportChek/Hockey Experts [Aug 4-30]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2010 1:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1230 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver

[Sport Chek] Free Skate Sharpening @ SportChek/Hockey Experts [Aug 4-30]

I searched and did not see this posted.

Free skate sharpening from Sportchek and their Hockey Experts division. Picked up the ad in GVR so i am not sure if this is simply a one location deal or a nation wide deal, since many sportchek's are renovating their hockey dept into a Hockey Experts dept.

And i know i will get a rash of complaints about Sportchek sharpenings in this thread. I do not use them because of the reputation they've gotten and stick strictly to Cyclone Taylors, but if you need sharpenings badly or can't afford regular priced sharpenings, go for it.

[IMG]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6134 ... ing001.jpg[/IMG]

Note: Nothing was on the back of the flyer, so all details were as shown.
18 replies
Nov 12, 2005
252 posts
28 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the ad. Does anyone know if I can just bring in three pairs of skates? Do I need the ad as well? Any sport check employees here?
Thanks.
Feb 8, 2006
517 posts
42 upvotes
I saw a stack of these coupons next to the checkout at Hockey Experts in Calgary (I came here to post the deal, I swear!)

I'm pretty sure you will need the coupon, but I don't know if you can do 3 pairs on one coupon, or if you need 3 separate coupons. The coupons I got are printed in black and white on shiny card stock.

By the way, Hockey Experts is a really good place for sharpenings even without the coupons. They only charge $4, even for flat-bottom-v's, and they know what they are doing in my experience (unlike at Sport Chek, where more often than not some kid will ruin one of your edges).
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1230 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
Since there are some sportcheks changing into Hockey Experts this month, they will likely have better training programs... so i will be trying it out.

I have always been interested in Flat Bottom V sharpening, so i'll drop in probably wednesday and let you guys know if its half decent or not.
Nov 12, 2005
252 posts
28 upvotes
North York
Any try the deal yet? Does it apply to everyone or is a coupon needed?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1230 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
No coupons, just walk up to the service counter...

I will admit i am a bit hesitant thinking about getting them done again on the 30th. I sharpened yesterday and skated yesterday too. When i first got on the ice, it felt a bit odd, but got better as time passed.

The service clerks took quite some time sharpening - like 20 minutes when they had no other skates waiting. I've seen ppl sharpen before and they shouldn't take that long.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1726 posts
685 upvotes
check the ad on page 1 of their flyer

http://sportmart.ca

click on the view flyer now near the top of the page in the Hockey Mania box
Feb 8, 2006
517 posts
42 upvotes
smoraes wrote: check the ad on page 1 of their flyer

http://sportmart.ca

click on the view flyer now near the top of the page in the Hockey Mania box
What is this a scavenger hunt? Why all the mystery? You could just as easily say something like "Sport Mart is now offering free sharpenings until the end of August as well."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5137 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
Can they also do figure skates?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5137 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
wing0 wrote: Can they also do figure skates?
Bump
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1284 posts
865 upvotes
I've had figure skates done there multiple times.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
free is still too much for me to take my skates to sport chek to get those children to sharpen my skates...

why would you even go to sport chek to sharpen skates?
they don't know what they're doing at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1230 posts
659 upvotes
Vancouver
Canuckerr wrote: free is still too much for me to take my skates to sport chek to get those children to sharpen my skates...

why would you even go to sport chek to sharpen skates?
they don't know what they're doing at all.
You do know several SportCheks in GVR have turned into Hockey Experts, which has a much better reputation out east?? And they have new staff that are better trained right?? Its no longer kids rotating in from dept to dept, but ppl who only work in the service shop and the hockey section.

And they have Flat Bottom V, which has a increasingly low failure rate/has little possibility of human error?

Ohhh right, thanks for stopping by...
Nov 3, 2002
45 posts
3 upvotes
New Westminster
thefeebster wrote: You do know several SportCheks in GVR have turned into Hockey Experts, which has a much better reputation out east?? And they have new staff that are better trained right?? Its no longer kids rotating in from dept to dept, but ppl who only work in the service shop and the hockey section.
Has anyone tried a sharpening from a Hockey Experts in the Lower Mainland?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1844 posts
985 upvotes
Halton
I've got all 4 pairs of skates done in Milton!! (well, 2 at a time)

thanks OP!!
Nov 5, 2009
103 posts
27 upvotes
bert wrote: Has anyone tried a sharpening from a Hockey Experts in the Lower Mainland?

I wanted to try the flat bottom V, and the admittedly younger tech in the Richmond HE did them for me. I asked for a deeper cut, and he advised me to drop 1 shallower since its my first time on flat bottom. Used for 3 games so far. I highly doubt I will stop using flat bottom from now on. I'm not the type to be too fussy about my skates and sharpens, but since getting flat bottom done it has been truly amazing for me. I have 3 sharpens left at my regular hockey store, once they are done, I'm getting a 10-pass and having HE do the flat bottom from here on in (yes, so good I'm willing to PAY for it!). From my research, flat bottom V is virtually idiot proof, virtually.

As for the younger and maybe less experienced tech's and staff, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as I was once in their exact same shoes. I did fine for my former customers, and I haven't been screwed over yet as the consumer now :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)