Cell Phones

Free Texting App for Android? (Local Canadian Number)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2019 10:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2011
623 posts
229 upvotes

Free Texting App for Android? (Local Canadian Number)

Anyone have a suggestion for a free app for texting that provides a local number in Canada?

Have been using textplus but it's gone to horrible.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1334 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I use Textnow, also not great with ads and everything but at least text is very functional
Oct 17, 2010
607 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
chevyz07 wrote: I use Textnow, also not great with ads and everything but at least text is very functional
I agree! I love it.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2011
623 posts
229 upvotes
How long's the Textnow number stay for?

My problem with textplus isn't the ads. It's that it just doesn't work consistently anymore (message histories don't open, no notifications) and seems to not close (or go into a low power state) properly after using it. Can actually feel the back of phone eventually heat up after launching it unless i go force close it.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3682 posts
1897 upvotes
Gotham
arandomguy wrote: How long's the Textnow number stay for?

My problem with textplus isn't the ads. It's that it just doesn't work consistently anymore (message histories don't open, no notifications) and seems to not close (or go into a low power state) properly after using it. Can actually feel the back of phone eventually heat up after launching it unless i go force close it.
Pretty long now. I went four months without using it and I haven't been cutoff.

Another service is TextMeUp. Outgoing calls have a fee but everything else is free.
Last edited by batcave on Sep 18th, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2018
481 posts
464 upvotes
I've been using TextFree.

Works great and keeps my number.
Jan 14, 2007
976 posts
94 upvotes
If you haven't used Textnow for a while, they send you a text reminding you to use it or lose it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7586 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
Forever - as long as you keep using it and, as others have said, they will send you a warning message so you can keep it.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1334 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Textnow's notifications are 100% consistent, never miss anything. You have to send or receive a text every month otherwise they give your number away.
Aug 1, 2018
106 posts
72 upvotes
S/W, Ontario
I setup Textnow on a phone I gave my grandson, he was happy with it for 2 years before I got him $25 text/talk plan on Koodo.