• Nov 16th, 2017 8:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3337 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton

[Tim Hortons] Free Tim Hortons Coffee When You Use App 3 Times

100,000+ Android downloads. To get you to actually use the 3 month old Tim Hortons app, the company is offering a free coffee after you have used the app 3 times to order ahead.
Any size, hot or iced, dark or original. No mention of espresso so I presume no.

The main benefit is of course to avoid the cash register, especially when it is busy.

Offer expires with the end of the year.

Tips for using the app:

-You can toggle car and pedestrian. You want to arrive _after_ the eta, so chose the correct mode of transportation.
-The app menu varies by time of day and seems to always exclude certain items, like raisin bagels, that might be available at your local Tims.
-Be ready to compromise. No “half sugar” or other less popular customizations.
-Don’t use “Scan to Pay”. Pre-order and show up at the Mobile Pickup counter after the eta.
-Chose correct location, correct pickup method (take out not drive through) and correct mode of transportation. As mentioned, show up _after_ the eta.
-Don’t ask the cashier for tech support. They don’t work at Tim Hortons because of their computer skills.

If you don’t like the app, please don’t use it. The rest of us can’t skip the line if everyone uses the app and there is no line to skip.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
107 replies
Oct 30, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Android only? Or iOS too?
Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions you might have.
Sep 7, 2011
101 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
775681 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:02 am

iOS as well
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3337 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
775681 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:02 am
I only mentioned the Android downloads because Apple doesn’t release the figures.

Be sure to download the Tim Hortons app, not the TimmyMe app. On an iPad, search for iPhone apps (you don’t need your iPad at the store).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2131 posts
387 upvotes
So this is in ADDITION to the already "free coffee" for loading $10 on your card?
Nov 30, 2013
11 posts
3 upvotes
nb
jt05mi wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 9:01 am
So this is in ADDITION to the already "free coffee" for loading $10 on your card?
I received my free coffee with the app Oct 17 then yesterday was notified about this offer.
Last edited by daviddavieboy on Nov 2nd, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3337 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
jt05mi wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 9:01 am
No, that offer has expired. Free coffee after 3 orders is the new offer, set to expire with 2017. Don’t know if you can use it more than once.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3337 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
They got around to promoting it:

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Tim hortons is giving away free coffee for every three orders if you order and pay via mobile app.
Images
  • timhortons (1).png
Jan 3, 2014
41 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Yes you can use it more than once. Every 3 orders entitles you to a freebie.

Fingers crossed this becomes a loyalty discount.
They're making a monkey out of you.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1369 posts
282 upvotes
Ottawa
Saw it on my phone. Not bad for frequent Tim Hortons visitors.

Made 3 purchase with app and redeem free coffee after.
Images
  • upload.jpg
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3337 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
Checkered wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:41 am
Yes you can use it more than once. Every 3 orders entitles you to a freebie.

Fingers crossed this becomes a loyalty discount.
Wow that’s quite (unnecessarily) agressive on Tim Hortons part. If you only order coffee that’s a 25% discount! Funny thing is I generally order less when I use the app, not having spent 7 minutes staring at donuts getting hungry.

If employees cost $10 an hour they cost $0.17 a minute. I don’t think cashier transactions take more than 30 seconds, especially when using tap to pay. And they can usually optimize their time by pouring the coffee while you fumble with your change or credit card. I guess it is pure waisted time if you order espresso or food instead of drip coffee.

On the other hand the profit margin on coffee is huge, so every lost sale because of customers balking at the long line up can hurt the bottom line.

The app hasn’t helped Starbucks boost sales. 10% now use the app to pre-order but sales were flat last quarter.

The real cost savings would be to illiminate the cashier position during slow times and have one employee devoted exclusively to food and coffee, not having to wash hands between transactions. But obviously we are a long way from that.
Nov 1, 2016
149 posts
98 upvotes
if timmys want to be aggressive on sales they can maybe try making better tasting coffee again. well all know growing up that timmy's had great coffee once.

that cheap stuff they have been using is one of the reasons sales aren't going so well.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 4th, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited inappropriate language