Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
11559 posts
6528 upvotes
Toronto

Free trip to Ukraine as elections observer

Expiry:
April 28, 2014
Must have valid Canadian passport. Must be fluent in Ukrainian or Russian and have previous election experience.

Note - a former co-worker did this years ago. He said it was an eye opening experience. He had relatives in the area so that made it even better for him. Still expect work, it isn't an easy gig and could even be dangerous depending on where you're situated.

Grandma was slow but she was old.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
1417 posts
150 upvotes
Looks very cool

Wish I had the time and language to do that
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2991 posts
648 upvotes
Charlottetown
the way things are looking over there, i'd be more concerned about knowing Russian than Ukrainian. seriously though, good opportunity for people who like to travel and see different cultures, etc.
Aug 24, 2011
252 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
It doesn't say the language requirements are a must, just 'ideal.' I might give it a shot

It says: "Candidates can only apply to be either a Long-Term Observer (at least 8 weeks) or a Short-Term Observer"

Would applying to be a Long-Term observer increase my chances?
Dec 12, 2009
458 posts
58 upvotes
kind of a volatile environment to go isn't it?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3929 posts
196 upvotes
DaveCCC wrote:
Apr 26th, 2014 5:22 pm
It doesn't say the language requirements are a must, just 'ideal.' I might give it a shot

It says: "Candidates can only apply to be either a Long-Term Observer (at least 8 weeks) or a Short-Term Observer"

Would applying to be a Long-Term observer increase my chances?
It says "competency" though.
In short, unless you can speak it (or have worked for an NGO like the UN), your chances are next to nil.

I would try for it if could.
"Boss, I need 8 weeks off..." lol
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4342 posts
317 upvotes
Mississauga
Putin's gonna rip you a new a-hole. Don't go you guys. :o
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Aug 24, 2011
252 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
About the language requirements, for the short-term job, all it says is:

"Proficiency in Ukrainian and/or Russian is an asset."
"The ideal candidate would have previous domestic or international electoral experience, in-Ukraine/regional work experience. Some conversational knowledge of Ukrainian/Russian is desirable."

So it would depend on how many applicants with language skills they can get considering they're asking for 300 volunteers. Plus the news stories there might scare away alot of potential applicants.

https://www.caneom.ca/STO.html
Feb 17, 2013
170 posts
19 upvotes
There's a REAL possibility you'll be coming back to Canada in a coffin. Good luck with your "free" trip.
Feb 9, 2006
998 posts
23 upvotes
*fine print: must subscribe to certain political views to be eligible
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13338 posts
842 upvotes
Welcome to Hotel California... "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
11559 posts
6528 upvotes
Toronto
I'll admit there is definitely some risk involved but I balance that with a very unique opportunity being offered. i'm applying today (the deadline). I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian but I have quite a bit of relevant experience. Wish me luck :)

Dang - my passport expires in June. I hope others were able to apply.
Grandma was slow but she was old.
Aug 24, 2011
252 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
KOI423b wrote:
Apr 27th, 2014 10:20 pm
There's a REAL possibility you'll be coming back to Canada in a coffin. Good luck with your "free" trip.
Yeah, but it would be a flag-draped coffin :)
× < >