Ongoing Deal Discussion

[BMO] Free unlimited bank account for new customers only

Mar 23, 2004
35971 posts
3148 upvotes
Markham
|Naruto| wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 2:10 pm
What's better, the Premium Plan or the Unlimited Plan? I'm not a current BMO customer but would like to open one up to get the World Elitr card
I would say the unlimited plan.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13436 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto
chingwu wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 2:12 pm
WOW, almost 200 downvotes Face Screaming In Fear
That's from people who have a reading comprehension issue.

This is a great deal and I'm laughing all the way to the bank ;)
"Deal of the Day" addict
Nov 25, 2013
671 posts
260 upvotes
Sauga
So, BMO screwed up but tonight, one of the managers helped me and everything is fixed. They charged me a $120 AF for my world elite card. I called in and was told it will reverse itself in 90 days. I called again today after angel suggested I might be on a different banking plan and guess what, the card is a word elite cash back card (hence the $120 AF), not the World elite travel card with $150 AF. The CSR who picked up the call transferred me to her manager as no one has heard about the unlimited plan and the AF waiver for the card. Then I had to email the offer to the manager who said will call me back in 30 mins (@12 am). I'm like.....yeah right..like that's gonna happen. What ever..

In exactly 30 mins, he called me back and said there's a fee. I asked him to go over the document again and he apologized and realized his mistake and that's when I asked him to switch my card to World elite. He did that, waived the fee even before card is activated, offered to ups the card and offered 1000 points right away . On top of that, gave me his email and direct number and asked me to call him directly if I ever have trouble with my chequeing account or master card. Way to go BMO. You've taken customer service to a new level......happy camper here...
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2607 posts
653 upvotes
FYI

I got charged $2.50 for "SC EXCESS ITEMS 01 AT"

Rep couldn't tell me what it was for so it was credited back.

I went to branch for a few things.
1. Change the account that my mortgage is drawn from
2. Deposit USD (twice)
3. Change the name of my "Other" account to "USD"

That's it.

Rep asked if I requested a chq image. I don't have chqs and have never deposited one to this account because they don't have chqs deposit on their app.

Check your accounts people...
Mar 23, 2004
35971 posts
3148 upvotes
Markham
Maplecountry wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:02 am
So, BMO screwed up but tonight, one of the managers helped me and everything is fixed. They charged me a $120 AF for my world elite card. I called in and was told it will reverse itself in 90 days. I called again today after angel suggested I might be on a different banking plan and guess what, the card is a word elite cash back card (hence the $120 AF), not the World elite travel card with $150 AF. The CSR who picked up the call transferred me to her manager as no one has heard about the unlimited plan and the AF waiver for the card. Then I had to email the offer to the manager who said will call me back in 30 mins (@12 am). I'm like.....yeah right..like that's gonna happen. What ever..

In exactly 30 mins, he called me back and said there's a fee. I asked him to go over the document again and he apologized and realized his mistake and that's when I asked him to switch my card to World elite. He did that, waived the fee even before card is activated, offered to ups the card and offered 1000 points right away . On top of that, gave me his email and direct number and asked me to call him directly if I ever have trouble with my chequeing account or master card. Way to go BMO. You've taken customer service to a new level......happy camper here...
Yeah the af should be charged and reversed right away. Glad BMO made it right for you. Finally something positive :D
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10104 posts
559 upvotes
Maplecountry wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:02 am

could you email the manager and ask if he will help others on this forum who are similarly stuck and can't get this offer?
Nov 25, 2013
671 posts
260 upvotes
Sauga
slowtyper wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:31 am
could you email the manager and ask if he will help others on this forum who are similarly stuck and can't get this offer?

Will do that.
Oct 16, 2008
865 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if this account offer where the monthly chequing fee is waived is forever as long as you maintain their credit card? Or only for a limited period of time?
Mar 23, 2004
35971 posts
3148 upvotes
Markham
Pho6 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:12 pm
Anyone know if this account offer where the monthly chequing fee is waived is forever as long as you maintain their credit card?
Yes, it should be forever until BMO decided to change the account.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
mech9t5 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:50 am
FYI

I got charged $2.50 for "SC EXCESS ITEMS 01 AT"

Rep couldn't tell me what it was for so it was credited back.

I went to branch for a few things.
1. Change the account that my mortgage is drawn from
2. Deposit USD (twice)
3. Change the name of my "Other" account to "USD"

That's it.

Rep asked if I requested a chq image. I don't have chqs and have never deposited one to this account because they don't have chqs deposit on their app.

Check your accounts people...
Maybe one of those actions you did at the teller was deemed self-serve and so they dinged you the "could have done it yourself" $2.50 fee.

I think you can request the rename of "other" to "USD" via online secure message so maybe that was it?! Not sure about USD - can you deposit that at ATM? Don't think so.

I'm thinking this fee from page 2 of the T&Cs:
"• Fee for assisted-service debit transactions and/or account inquires completed in a BMO branch or with an associate at the Customer Contact Centre .... $2.50/each"
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Dec 10, 2006
350 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
I just applied and got approved for the account and for the BMO World Elite Mastercard with $6000 credit limit. But it's also telling me to go in to "wrap things up" with the branch. I thought this was an online account, why do I need to go to the bank to finish this up. I must admit that the application process was really simple, straight forward, and fast so props to BMO for this. Hopefully this account works well as I'm only doing this for the free credit card.

Once I transfer the $1500 in, can I transfer it out the next day? Does anyone have this process automated?
Sorry if these questions have been asked but the thread was really long to go through.

Also, is it possible to use the lounge passes if I'm not traveling? For ex. if my parents go on a trip, can I give the passes to them to use without me there?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
|Naruto| wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 12:50 am
Once I transfer the $1500 in, can I transfer it out the next day? Does anyone have this process automated?
Sorry if these questions have been asked but the thread was really long to go through.
search.php?keywords=Automated&t=2085669
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Nov 25, 2013
671 posts
260 upvotes
Sauga
|Naruto| wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 12:50 am
Also, is it possible to use the lounge passes if I'm not traveling? For ex. if my parents go on a trip, can I give the passes to them to use without me there?
I would also like to know how to use the lounge passes. Do we have to purchase the ticket with this card for us to be able to use the pass ?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)