Hot Deals

[BMO] Free unlimited bank account for new customers only

Apr 16, 2017
2 posts
Mansech wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 3:37 pm
The email was within 5 mins of the error. There's a 14-digit ref # for the mastercard application on it.
I also went into the branch next day to confirm everything was okay. The teller wasn't able to help but one of the advisors working in the offices was able to see my account and also pull up the form with my digital signature
Too bad. I didn't receive any email confirmation. But when I called BMO, I was told that the chequing and saving accounts had been opened as well as the credit card. I will go to the branch later. Their online application sucks. :(
Jun 12, 2012
22 posts
8 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Just to add another data point.

1.- Credit Card approved
2.- Went to branch, associate unable to see chequing+savings
3.- Associate escalated process, didn't know about/enter "promo-code" to create acct in-branch
4.- Received Credit Card in mail. Still waiting for escalation process to call back
Nov 13, 2009
350 posts
173 upvotes
Ajax
My brother applied for this account yesterday but received an error at the end of the process.
After few hours he received an email saying that his credit card should arrive in the mail within 8-10 days.
But there is no indication of a chequing or saving account being opened.

What should he do?
Im pretty sure the branch will not know anything about this promo because i went to the branch last week to verify my id and they did not know anything about this promotion.
May 4, 2005
86 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I currently have a BMO credit card but no BMO bank account. Is there anyway to take advantage of this offer? Maybe calling in and canceling credit card and hope for a retention offer?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8853 posts
3156 upvotes
BC
SHR3WD wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:46 am
I'm looking to deposit $1000+
If the ATM has a scanner (envelope-less) then there shouldn't be any hold. When I verified my ID at the branch I deposited $20 just as a test (at the ATM) and it scanned it, presented me with verification option on screen, then deposited it when I confirmed "1 x $20". When I logged in shortly afterwards there was no hold.

You have the option to verify or reject their "counting" onscreen, so I wouldn't hesitate to deposit a large amount at such an ATM since if it counts it wrong you can reject it and it spits your cash back out.
If it counts it correctly then you are set. It should also tell you the bill count limit ... it might be 20 or 50 bills ... so 50 x $20 = $1000.
or 20 x $50, etc.

If you exceed the limit you'd need to do it as separate deposits, but there should be no need to wait in line to see a teller (or go during branch hours) if the ATM at the branch is envelope-free.
POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1153 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver
ace604 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 7:14 pm
If the ATM has a scanner (envelope-less) then there shouldn't be any hold. When I verified my ID at the branch I deposited $20 just as a test (at the ATM) and it scanned it, presented me with verification option on screen, then deposited it when I confirmed "1 x $20". When I logged in shortly afterwards there was no hold.

You have the option to verify or reject their "counting" onscreen, so I wouldn't hesitate to deposit a large amount at such an ATM since if it counts it wrong you can reject it and it spits your cash back out.
If it counts it correctly then you are set. It should also tell you the bill count limit ... it might be 20 or 50 bills ... so 50 x $20 = $1000.
or 20 x $50, etc.

If you exceed the limit you'd need to do it as separate deposits, but there should be no need to wait in line to see a teller (or go during branch hours) if the ATM at the branch is envelope-free.
Yeah I do this all the time, but with TD and never any issues except you have to be really careful putting in a lot of bills because it has to line up almost perfectly in the slot.
I wish Scotiabank started doing envelope-free deposits...
Jun 8, 2012
179 posts
30 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 7:14 pm

or 20 x $50, etc.

Sounds good, I'll check it out. Thank you!
Mar 23, 2004
34703 posts
2644 upvotes
Markham
mohammedessam wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:03 pm
My brother applied for this account yesterday but received an error at the end of the process.
After few hours he received an email saying that his credit card should arrive in the mail within 8-10 days.
But there is no indication of a chequing or saving account being opened.

What should he do?
Im pretty sure the branch will not know anything about this promo because i went to the branch last week to verify my id and they did not know anything about this promotion.
he is probably facing what my gf is facing, stuck in no men's land (branch/call center cannot open it for you, some special "department" has to handle it). Been trying for two weeks to get the account open but still not done yet. My advice is to reach the call center so they can start dealing with it. Going to a branch is no use.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Apr 7, 2015
10 posts
Canada
Has anyone got the bonus 20000 points yet? I've seen my first month deposit of points but didnt get the bonus points yet.
Nov 9, 2015
264 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Data point:

Approve on April 4th:

- Debit card received on April 10
- Credit card pin received on April 12
- Credit card received on April 18th
- Debit card pin not received yet ( do not need it)
- Priority pass will be coming 6-8 weeks, but I will be calling Priority Pass to register and speed things up.
Apr 7, 2015
10 posts
Canada
My pass came in a week or 2 after the credit card came in so no need to speed up the process.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2419 posts
552 upvotes
minhduo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:54 pm
My pass came in a week or 2 after the credit card came in so no need to speed up the process.
My PP came 2 weeks after credit card.
Mailed from the states.
Jan 2, 2013
860 posts
94 upvotes
Etobicoke
minhduo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:17 pm
Has anyone got the bonus 20000 points yet? I've seen my first month deposit of points but didnt get the bonus points yet.
Just got it. 6 weeks in.
Oct 22, 2015
340 posts
61 upvotes
Hmm still wondering if I should pull the trigger.
Seems like there are a lot of issues when applying.
Or is this a case where people only write when there are problems and there are actually a lot more successful applications but just not documented here.