[BMO] Free unlimited bank account for new customers only

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
MohamedAmine wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:27 pm
Does the promotion still exist? i dont' see it anywhere on BMO website?
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:34 pm
It's at www.bmo.com/bankup. Ends May31st.
It's also REALLY hard to miss this guy on the home page of bmo.com:
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 2, 2011
87 posts
13 upvotes
New Westminster
apoorv wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 4:19 pm
Just got it. 6 weeks in.
greeting gents,
Just got my first statement april 15th - check my rewards website: for points, only got 2,100 points for purchases on the 1st bill - so does it come on the 2nd statement? then the 20,000 points
Dec 10, 2006
634 posts
86 upvotes
Vancouver
I got my first statement in the first week of April, did not get the 20000 points. Even today when I log in to bmorewards, don't see it.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
Did everyone else have to go into a branch to activate their credit card?

The little sticker that usually has a phone number to activate the card said:

"Activate your card now!

To activate your card, you must visit
your nearest BMO branch."

Somewhat annoying ... 12-minute in-branch wait for teller plus time to activate plus a few minutes out of my way versus the typical 1-minute phone call.

Well, TD transferred me to a real human to activate, which I thought would be for upselling, but they didn't actually try to sell me anything.
Neither did BMO teller either actually, which I was surprised at. They just asked me for ID and let me change my PIN for the CC.

Is this just they way BMO does it? Seems like a lot of overhead to go to the branch to activate your card every time you get a new one.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1430 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
ace604 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:41 pm

The little sticker that usually has a phone number to activate the card said:

"Activate your card now!

To activate your card, you must visit
your nearest BMO branch."

Somewhat annoying ... 12-minute in-branch wait for teller plus time to activate plus a few minutes out of my way versus the typical 1-minute phone call.

Well, TD transferred me to a real human to activate, which I thought would be for upselling, but they didn't actually try to sell me anything.
Neither did BMO teller either actually, which I was surprised at. They just asked me for ID and let me change my PIN for the CC.

Is this just they way BMO does it? Seems like a lot of overhead to go to the branch to activate your card every time you get a new one.
Nope, the sticker told me to activate on bmo.ca/activate
Didn't even have to call in to talk to anyone.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
john.canad wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:46 pm
Nope, the sticker told me to activate on bmo.ca/activate
Didn't even have to call in to talk to anyone.
Odd. They must just want to see my face then :)

So, other than the fact I couldn't sign up initially because my online profile/debit card from Dec 2016 wasn't fully deleted ... and the fact I had to go to the branch with ID to finalize the bank account opening, and go to the branch AGAIN with ID again to activate the credit card ... my signup process went fairly smoothly.
Mar 23, 2004
36410 posts
3305 upvotes
Markham
ace604 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:41 pm
My gf did. She tried to call and to do it online, didnt work.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2723 posts
708 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:50 pm
My gf did. She tried to call and to do it online, didnt work.
If you had to go to branch to show id to open accounts, you also have to go for credit card activation.

If you didn't have to go to branch for accounts, you won't need to for card either
Jul 24, 2016
9 posts
11 upvotes
rageguy wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:16 pm
I got my first statement in the first week of April, did not get the 20000 points. Even today when I log in to bmorewards, don't see it.
I don't believe this promo include those 20,000 points. Check the credit card benefits info in the promo page and there is no mention at all of these 20,000 points.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2372 posts
831 upvotes
Edares wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:09 pm
I don't believe this promo include those 20,000 points. Check the credit card benefits info in the promo page and there is no mention at all of these 20,000 points.
One person claimed to have received it and typical RFDers took it as gospel. Although, RFDers could also have gotten BMO to remove bonus being paid error by constantly bugging BMO about bonus and bringing it to their attention. It was same kind of noise with last summer's chequing account promo where everybody and their grandmother wanted to verify if Tangerine would work.

In this case, there was no advertisement or promise of paying you the CC bonus. If you get it, good, if you do not, then no loss there either. Calling employees and bringing attention to it serves no one and it actually shows serious lack of critical thinking and herd mentality.
Loose lips sink ships.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1430 posts
261 upvotes
Vancouver
McMaggot wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:35 pm
One person claimed to have received it and typical RFDers took it as gospel. Although, RFDers could also have gotten BMO to remove bonus being paid error by constantly bugging BMO about bonus and bringing it to their attention. It was same kind of noise with last summer's chequing account promo where everybody and their grandmother wanted to verify if Tangerine would work.

In this case, there was no advertisement or promise of paying you the CC bonus. If you get it, good, if you do not, then no loss there either. Calling employees and bringing attention to it serves no one and it actually shows serious lack of critical thinking and herd mentality.
Don't you think large companies like BMO have agents that actually scour the internet for people talking about their products? I don't think bringing it to the attention of their employees would really make a difference, and I doubt the bottom-level customer service reps would really have any power to make any changes such as to stop promos from happening.
Aug 18, 2013
50 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
The promo did include the 20k bonus points, I got it right away when my card was issued. All I did was log into the bmo rewards website and I got the bonus points. Maybe, the 20k bonus points had its own promotion.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1007 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see how this is a promotion at all. BMO is one of the few banks that waive 100% of the monthly fee if you maintain a minimum balance, and almost everyone can keep a few thousand dollars in their chequing account, whereas a minimum monthly deposit is hard if you don't have a permanent job. Contract jobs are pretty much the norm these days, and it's not uncommon to have a gap between contracts.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
blueangel2323 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:58 am
I don't see how this is a promotion at all. BMO is one of the few banks that waive 100% of the monthly fee if you maintain a minimum balance, and almost everyone can keep a few thousand dollars in their chequing account, whereas a minimum monthly deposit is hard if you don't have a permanent job. Contract jobs are pretty much the norm these days, and it's not uncommon to have a gap between contracts.
If you have $3000, $5000, or $6000 minimum balance then you have more than you need to withdraw and re-deposit $1500/mo for this promo and also free up $1500 to $4500 of your remaining cash to actually spend if necessary.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)