[BMO] Free unlimited bank account for new customers only

Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
nav0239 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 6:00 am
Can you setup a scheduled transfer from checking to credit card? I searched everything and could only find instant transfer.
You want to make a recurring bill payment ? If BMO won't let you, most banks will. Tangerine and EQ will. You can also setup BMO CC to debit an external account (PAD) for your monthly bill.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1455 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank- ... B5-MGBMO16
FAQs
Will I be charged a fee for using other bank ATMs?

We won’t charge you a fee when you use other bank ATMs with your debit card.
However, other banks may charge you a convenience fee to use their ATMs. Since this isn’t our charge, you’re responsible for paying this fee.
Also, fees for credit card cash advances at a BMO and non-BMO ATM still apply.
Which of the other Big 5 charge an ATM fee for using another debit card not issued by them?

If BMO ATMs are not in convenient locations for you and the non-BMO ATMs charge an access fee, then you'd still need another bank for true no fee ATM cash withdrawal.
Last edited by Kursor17 on Jul 4th, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
Kursor17 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:07 pm
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/bank- ... B5-MGBMO16
Which of the other Big 5 charge an ATM fee for using another debit card not issued by them?

If BMO ATMs are not in convenient locations for you and the non-BMO ATMs charge an access fee, then you'd still need another bank for true no fee ATM cash withdrawal.
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:53 pm
..like, all of them?
That's why these features provided by RBC VIP or BMO or TD all-inclusive are pretty useless.

They basically add on some credit union ATMs you can use for free, not any of the other big-5 banks :)
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Mar 23, 2004
36393 posts
3300 upvotes
Markham
ace604 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 6:30 pm
That's why these features provided by RBC VIP or BMO or TD all-inclusive are pretty useless.

They basically add on some credit union ATMs you can use for free, not any of the other big-5 banks :)
HSBC Premier actually reimburses up to $1.50 for the atm fee charged by the other bank (and of course, doesnt charge the holder themselves withdrawing at other atm's). That's the only bank i know that reimburses the other bank's fee.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 9:28 pm
HSBC Premier actually reimburses up to $1.50 for the atm fee charged by the other bank (and of course, doesnt charge the holder themselves withdrawing at other atm's). That's the only bank i know that reimburses the other bank's fee.
$1.50 isn't enough to reimburse fully though, I think most charge $3?

In the US there are banks that fully reimburse. Alliant Credit Union is one. You can use other ATMs up to 20 times/month IIRC and they reimburse fees daily.
Mar 23, 2004
36393 posts
3300 upvotes
Markham
ace604 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 10:32 pm
$1.50 isn't enough to reimburse fully though, I think most charge $3?

In the US there are banks that fully reimburse. Alliant Credit Union is one. You can use other ATMs up to 20 times/month IIRC and they reimburse fees daily.
Yes, it used to be $1.50 fee but then it was raised...and HSBC never bothered to raise their reimbursement.

It's different in the States with so much more competition than here. Anyhow enough off-topic talk for me.

Too bad this Bankup promo doesnt work with the $350 that they have right now :lol:
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 23, 2004
36393 posts
3300 upvotes
Markham
Kursor17 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:18 pm
I'm not sure if I'm reading assumptions or facts??

So I guess I'm going to have to stick it in each of the other Big 5 to see if I'll get charged?
Not assumption, we all know big 5 will charge you on not using their own atm's. But it doesnt hurt to try since you will have to agree to pay the fee first on the atm (shows you how much as well) before you get the cash.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1455 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Confirmed was able to open a Bank UP account irrespective of having a closed BMO account after Jan 1, 2017.

BMO online application had directed me to a branch to complete the process. Internal process is to setup Performance Plan them convert to Bank UP.
Nov 25, 2013
674 posts
262 upvotes
Sauga
What's if ones CC application is denied after opening the bank account? Happened to my friend today. He doesn't need a card or credit.
Mar 23, 2004
36393 posts
3300 upvotes
Markham
Maplecountry wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:34 pm
What's if ones CC application is denied after opening the bank account? Happened to my friend today. He doesn't need a card or credit.
They wont charge him the monthly fee until June 2018.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Nov 25, 2013
674 posts
262 upvotes
Sauga
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:42 pm
They wont charge him the monthly fee until June 2018.
Thanks for getting back to me...Why would they charge him? Why June 2018?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
Kursor17 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:18 pm
I'm not sure if I'm reading assumptions or facts??

So I guess I'm going to have to stick it in each of the other Big 5 to see if I'll get charged?
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:20 pm
Not assumption, we all know big 5 will charge you on not using their own atm's. But it doesnt hurt to try since you will have to agree to pay the fee first on the atm (shows you how much as well) before you get the cash.
If you don't believe us I highly recommend visiting all the other 4 big-5 bank ATMs and withdrawing money from your BMO account :)

The last step will tell you to confirm the surcharge ($3 I think everywhere?)

BMO isn't going to reimburse that for you ... the only thing they'll do is not charge you more for the 'privilege' :D
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3812 upvotes
BC
Maplecountry wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:47 pm
Thanks for getting back to me...Why would they charge him? Why June 2018?
Because that's what it says in the terms & conditions. Link to this is in thread summary