Expired Offers

Locked: Free very BASIC satellite TV from Shaw for those in certain areas UPDATE Feb 2013

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2016 6:18 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 12, 2003
1821 posts
192 upvotes

Free very BASIC satellite TV from Shaw for those in certain areas UPDATE Feb 2013

If you live near certain Canadian cities and have lost reception of some of the OTA channels (or you pretend you did...), Shaw has a program wherein you get a free dish, receiver and installation and free reception of the LOCAL channels from the city you're close to. From reading the documentation Shaw sent me following my request, this seems entirely FREE. No need to return any equipment back to Shaw if you decide to quit the service, which you may do at a moment's notice. This seems like a program that Shaw and the CRTC worked out. Here are some details. For more details, Google Shaw and LTSS. The following is taken from:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/eng ... ?default=1

"If you haven't been a cable or satellite customer in the last 90 days and live in or near one of the cities listed below, you may be eligible for our Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program*. This program will allow you to continue receiving the same or similar Canadian over-the-air channels you've always enjoyed courtesy of Shaw Direct. Please call one of our service representatives before November 30, 2012 at 1.888.782.7602 to see if you qualify

Barrie Foymount London Saguenay Truro
Burmis Fredericton Moncton Saint John Vancouver
Calgary Halifax Montreal Sarnia-Oil Springs Victoria
Charlottetown Hamilton Ottawa Saskatoon Winnipeg
Chatham Kitchener Quebec City Sherbrooke Windsor
Digby Lac-Etchemin Quebec St. John's
Edmonton Lethbridge Riviere-du-loup Thunder Bay
Forestburg Lloydminster Rouyn-Noranda Trois-Rivieres "

I called and started the procedure. I already get OTA reception from the USA (I have 3 antennas pointed in various directions), but my local Montreal stations were too weak and/or were obstructed by a mountain.

Edit: Programming is free for 5 years. If the receiver needs to be changed because of a change in technology, the user has to pay for a new receiver (or just drop the service...) The service includes SD content only; to get HD, you must become a paying subscriber.

Edit February 2013: For an extra $9.95 per month (good for 24 months), Shaw will now include their "Digital Lite" package. Info on the channels provided:
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english/wh ... .asp?t=DIL
Programming remains in SD, but some HD content is included if you obtained a HD-capable decoder from Shaw. See allyourbase's post around post#94 or so for more info.

For more info, call Shaw at 866-280-4503 extension 1971.

Thanks to ssy080 for correcting my initial mistake and to allyourbase for the link of the channels provided.
Share:
313 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2266 posts
303 upvotes
Nice, thanks!
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15611 posts
518 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
boo urns, I do not live in or around those areas :(
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VAPE NATION \//\ ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8104 posts
1323 upvotes
London
If anyone has signed up for this, I'd be interested in hearing some more about this.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 12, 2003
1821 posts
192 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Feb 8th, 2012 2:01 pm
If anyone has signed up for this, I'd be interested in hearing some more about this.

I signed up today. I was told that the receiver would be shipped to me and, following my reception, I would need to call their installation service to arrange an appointment.
Nov 21, 2009
485 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
I just called today. She was very kind! She didn't recognize it when I said "Local Television Satellite Solution," so you better say LTSS. They said a form will be mailed to me, which I have to fax back, then they will ship the receiver.

Apparently in Alberta, you get 7 channels?

Thank you for the info :)
[OP]
Banned
Nov 12, 2003
1821 posts
192 upvotes
Obviously, Shaw will hope that once you start receiving service you will be inclined to add more channels. But. my understanding is (not 100% sure of this one...) that they are committed to supply qualified candidates with 5 years of very basic service. They do state in the form that they will send you, however, that if technology changes requiring you to change your receiver, you will have to pay for the new receiver (I'll just drop the service if/when that happens.)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1721 posts
713 upvotes
Does this work in apartment buildings? Can the receiver be modified to receive OverTheAir satellite channels?
Nov 21, 2009
485 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
From their declaration form:

The channels Shaw Direct will be providing are

CTVEDM, CBC Edmonton (CBXT), SRC Edmonton (CBXFT), Global Edmonton (CITV-TV), CTV Calgary
(CFCN), CITY Edmonton (CKEM-TV), Access Alberta, CBC CALGAR
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2070 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
Can non-users apply for this? Just sign up for the free service, not being an existing shaw customer?
Sep 1, 2009
260 posts
31 upvotes
Kamloops
I am in kamloops and i just got got a call fron Shaw that a technician will be here to install basic cable at my place tomorrow for free. Don't know if it relates to this. It would be free for 6 months.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 12, 2003
1821 posts
192 upvotes
daviiiiiid wrote:
Feb 9th, 2012 8:07 am
Can non-users apply for this? Just sign up for the free service, not being an existing shaw customer?

I am a non-user and I signed up just for the free service. Installation should happen in a couple of weeks.

And I just called a CSR and indeed the free service is for 5 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2070 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
hover42 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2012 9:52 am
I am a non-user and I signed up just for the free service. Installation should happen in a couple of weeks.

And I just called a CSR and indeed the free service is for 5 years.

Hey Im in Montreal too.
Do you know which channels are included?
OTA I already get
Radio Canada
CBC
TVA
CTV
TQc
V Tele
Global
(the new CH channel...)

Would I get anything more?
May 17, 2008
197 posts
19 upvotes
I just called a CSR and she would send me a form to apply for this program.

Thanks, OP!!!

btw, I don't need lots of Channels. It's good for me.
× < >