• May 12th, 2015 1:20 am
Tags:
None
Nov 27, 2001
552 posts
1 upvote

Free VIN check website

Guys,

Know have a good free VIN check website? The ones have found will only return the number of reports for the car, but not a detail summary.

If you would like to share your VIN checker website access..that'll be nice also.

thanks
28 replies
Nov 8, 2004
655 posts
1 upvote
My Mazda 323 was totalled in Newfoundland 3 years ago.

So last month I did a VIN check on Carfax for the totalled car and it came up clean. No record of the accident at all.

I wonder how much information these vin check services are missing. I wonder if their Canadian data is any good.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14317 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
As far as I know, there is no intra-provincial sharing of information, re: accidents and insurance write-offs.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Sep 20, 2002
509 posts
19 upvotes
dlander wrote:My Mazda 323 was totalled in Newfoundland 3 years ago.

So last month I did a VIN check on Carfax for the totalled car and it came up clean. No record of the accident at all.

I wonder how much information these vin check services are missing. I wonder if their Canadian data is any good.
Carfax has a guarantee wherein if you end up buying a car and Carfax reported it to be clean and it actually isn't, they'll buy the car from you for whatever price you paid for it.
"Until you find something worth dying for, you haven't begun to live..." - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2001
552 posts
1 upvote
nobody wants to share their VIN checker?
Sep 20, 2002
509 posts
19 upvotes
jace wrote:nobody wants to share their VIN checker?
Here's the one I used (and I'm sure the one most everybody else uses): http://www.carfax.com. I had to pay $19.99 for the service. If you have more than 1 car to check, then just go shell out a bit more money for the $24.99 unlimited. Surely, it can't be that expensive, right?
"Until you find something worth dying for, you haven't begun to live..." - Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
vincevoltaire wrote:Here's the one I used (and I'm sure the one most everybody else uses): http://www.carfax.com. I had to pay $19.99 for the service. If you have more than 1 car to check, then just go shell out a bit more money for the $24.99 unlimited. Surely, it can't be that expensive, right?
I think jace wants to leech off someone who has paid for the unlimited checks... ;)
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Nov 27, 2001
552 posts
1 upvote
well...yea...but nicely
Rehan wrote:I think jace wants to leech off someone who has paid for the unlimited checks... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1515 posts
59 upvotes
Victoria
carfax is mainly used for cars registered in the US
Sep 20, 2002
509 posts
19 upvotes
oldsnail wrote:carfax is mainly used for cars registered in the US
Are you sure? I have used it on a car registered in Canada. I know that most Canadian auto buying sites recommend using Carfax.
Feb 27, 2005
589 posts
21 upvotes
It's not perfect, but Carfax does have coverage for Quebec, which is how all the salvage cars are laundered into Ontario as clean. Also, if you see US registration in the vehicle history, that's a big red flag for checkered past.
× < >