• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 10:53 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2001
184 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
Just opening this old thread. As of Sept 16th, ICBC is offering a free VIN check.

Customers can enter the vehicle model year and vehicle identification number (VIN), which pulls up the current status of the vehicle.

The four designations are: salvage (provided to a car that has been written off due to a crash, but can be repaired/reconstructed); rebuilt (a salvage vehicle that has been rebuilt and passed inspection, in addition to homemade and specialty vehicles); altered (a vehicle that has been significantly modified after its manufacture); and normal (has not been rebuilt, salvaged or altered, but does not mean it has never been damaged nor is it a guarantee of good mechanical condition).

Keep in mind that this only covers the vehicle's status as registered in BC.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
kleptodathief wrote: check carproof.ca bfore u buy a used car!
That's no better than carfax... I have compared the 2.

On a separate note, having used carfax on at least 5 occasions I can't really say it offered anything other than to lighten my wallet. I know most people do it for peace of mind but the reports are fairly inaccurate and misleading. I cannot really recommend it but alas people will continue to flock to it out of fear.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
I thought the consensus was Carfax was mainly good for a few things such as the owner registration... Accident history is hit or miss..

Whereas carproof caught the collision history (if reported).

but to the OP pay the $25 and do the unlimited, stop being a mooch.

I used carfax to check up on cars I was interested in (since it's unlimited) and did a carproof on the cars I was serious about purchasing.
FS Items:
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2120 posts
47 upvotes
For any used car purchase, get the Carproof report. If clean, follow up with a detailed 3rd party pre-purchase inspection - NOT just a safety. It may cost you $200, but it may also save you a lot of headaches down the road.
Mar 6, 2006
151 posts
3 upvotes
Use carfax if you don't like the information return it, they give a full refund as long as you do fewer than 2 vins.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
vincevoltaire wrote: Carfax has a guarantee wherein if you end up buying a car and Carfax reported it to be clean and it actually isn't, they'll buy the car from you for whatever price you paid for it.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012 ... /index.htm

Do your own homework. Period.Don't waste money on any of these services (unless they have a RF micro-controller installed in every vehicle in the world).
Mar 7, 2018
4 posts
Hi, can someone please run a CarProof and lien check on VIN # 3GTU2UEC1FG450475