Expired Freebies

Free Windows 10 upgrade for Win7/10 either by using assistive technologies, or by using your old 7 or 8.1 Activation Key

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7876 posts
3067 upvotes
East York

Free Windows 10 upgrade for Win7/10 either by using assistive technologies, or by using your old 7 or 8.1 Activation Key

Deal Link:
You can still get a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 by either simply going to this link below...

1. Assistive Technologies Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

Or by just downloading the Win10 upgrade tool install installer, either burning the ISO to a disc or by simply mounting the ISO from the tool to a virtual drive and installing Windows 10 with your old 7 or 8.1 Activation Key, which those keys will still work for some weird reason

2. Win10 Upgrade Tool ISO Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

======
Source: Techspot article
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4690 posts
670 upvotes
Montreal
I disagree with s7evin.

There's nothing wrong with win10 once you deal with the privacy settings. The upgrade was painless for me on 3 PCs and I appreciate the new features.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2341 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
Bricked my laptop.. Corrupted itself irreparably requiring new install for no reason.. W7 never did that to me..
Aug 14, 2009
201 posts
115 upvotes
shylok wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:05 am
Corrupted itself irreparably requiring new install for no reason
As a seasoned computer repairer, I've seen all versions of Windows do this.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1851 posts
462 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're a Windows Media Center user, don't upgrade to Windows 10 as it's not included. I like using WMC for my OTA setup, it's a shame they stopped including it.
Apr 5, 2005
201 posts
210 upvotes
Dartmouth
BooR4dL3y wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 8:40 pm
If you're a Windows Media Center user, don't upgrade to Windows 10 as it's not included. I like using WMC for my OTA setup, it's a shame they stopped including it.
If you're a Windows Media Center user, why haven;t you ditched that outdated clunky junk and moved on to Kodi?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1680 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
wow good to know - was holding off buying win 7/8 computer
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1851 posts
462 upvotes
Vancouver
Because WMC is easy to setup. I use it for recording TV (OTA). WMC guides you through each of the steps necessary to setup -- just enter your postal code (for TV guide schedule specific to your region), pick which tuners to use -- ready to start recording.

What's needed to start using Kodi for TV recording? What about getting guide data so I can schedule recordings -- free or do I have to pay a 3rd party subscription? Guide data is just part of the WMC -- no extra fees or subscriptions.

Anyways, this thread is about upgrading to Windows 10; I only mentioned about not upgrading if you're a Windows Media Center user because you will lose WMC after upgrading to WIndows 10.
Nukkus wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 2:03 pm
If you're a Windows Media Center user, why haven;t you ditched that outdated clunky junk and moved on to Kodi?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1519 posts
428 upvotes
Toronto
First method kept holding my computer at 99%, ends up using the second and did the activation then a fresh installation.

My recommendation, if you are going to perform a fresh installation anyway, then stick with the 2nd one.
Apr 5, 2005
201 posts
210 upvotes
Dartmouth
BooR4dL3y wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 6:56 pm
Because WMC is easy to setup. I use it for recording TV (OTA). WMC guides you through each of the steps necessary to setup -- just enter your postal code (for TV guide schedule specific to your region), pick which tuners to use -- ready to start recording.

What's needed to start using Kodi for TV recording? What about getting guide data so I can schedule recordings -- free or do I have to pay a 3rd party subscription? Guide data is just part of the WMC -- no extra fees or subscriptions.

Anyways, this thread is about upgrading to Windows 10; I only mentioned about not upgrading if you're a Windows Media Center user because you will lose WMC after upgrading to WIndows 10.
So why did you choose to hijack it and spread misinformation? Kodi is 100% free and open source. WMC hasn't been updated in close to a decade.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15665 posts
3933 upvotes
Win 10 would not install on my older laptop even though it more than met minimum specs. My Asus laptop from 4 years ago has been solid with Win10. Don't understand the hate...
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12278 posts
1327 upvotes
s7evin wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 2:02 am
I'll stay away from windows 10 if I were you unless if you buy a machine already with it.
upgraded my system during the free promotion; had to reinstall printer only and it worked without issues; mounting my 8 yr old external drive via VM was easier than on W7
Get 1,500 km of FREE Supercharging upon purchasing a new Tesla. [ https://ts.la/andre41710 ]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
2239 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Avoid method 1 (auto installer) on older systems if you value your time. Wasted 1 full day when the upgrade was free. Kept getting stuck around 95-99%.

Method 2 worked fine. Sad my system was unstable on win 10. Rolled back to 7.