Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] $40 10GB Canada wide calling for existing Public Mobile Customers

Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13545 posts
4328 upvotes
Gatineau
GiOBoY wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 10:37 am
Thanks for the clarification;
but for me, network reception has been spotty and thus, I could never get those speeds when I was with Wind.
Agreed. Prior to me porting out to Rogers, Freedom still had their coverage issues. That isn't going away anytime soon. But note that LTE was just released 9 months ago. If you were with Wind/Freedom before that, then its a given that you received no where close to those speeds because LTE didn't exist on their network.

But now that LTE is in place, those speeds are possible, but as you mentioned, one is still likely to be plagued by coverage issues.
GiOBoY wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 10:37 am
It's good if you're near a tower I guess (and don't go out of town).
If you go out of town (with no Freedom coverage), you'd connect to a roaming partner (Rogers or Telus) which obviously has good coverage.

djino
Aug 16, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
Hmm the only place i've been in Gatineau was Jaques-Cartier Park for the mosaic art. I had no complaints there, wish i could tell you more. I went to a cottage up by Barry's Bay and i had to use roaming (i have 1gb roaming per month), but i had LTE service.

Hope that helps.
Nov 4, 2016
146 posts
81 upvotes
torontokris wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 12:41 am
The trend is good yes. Although it wasnt long ago a few companies gave unlimited data. I had a unlimited data with bell plan. But only 200 minutes and 200 texts. Easier to blow threw those then 4gb of data (least for me).
But if everyone have enough data, everyone would just to WhatsApp calling. That would defeat the purpose of even having minutes and texts. XD
Dec 27, 2007
627 posts
222 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:30 am
How do you mean?
Wind sorry Freedom LTE (in some areas Toronto etc) is a very specific band of LTE (16 I believe)... you cant just take any LTE unlocked phone and use it.
There was originally only one phone that could do that band, but I believe there is a couple more. Also others stated that simply having a phone (from Tmobile etc) that does that LTE band does NOT mean that phone will work - due to some technical issue - Freedom is looking into
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13545 posts
4328 upvotes
Gatineau
torontokris wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
Wind sorry Freedom LTE (in some areas Toronto etc) is a very specific band of LTE (16 I believe)
Every city Freedom Mobile is in (with the exception of Ottawa, Kingston, Peterborough) will require you to have a phone that can connect to Band 66 in order to access the LTE Network (Band 4 is still used for 3G which most all phones support)

In Eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Kingston, Peterborough) Freedom uses Band 4 (which almost all phones support) for both 3G and LTE

djino
Jun 18, 2005
938 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
I Have been on

Clearnet, Fido, Telus, Virgin Mobile, Rogers, back to Telus and now Freedom.

I have no issues with LTE from any of them. Big 3 still have more speed.
Graphic Designer
Nov 21, 2011
430 posts
41 upvotes
CALGARY
kaisin82 post_ wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:06 pm
Am an existing customer, called in and made to wait. Given 10months of 10gb of data
Did they switch you at least to 6gb 40$ new LTE weekend plan
Dec 26, 2015
148 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CCHIPSS wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 4:06 pm
Yes Freedom have a thing call National Roaming. That means when your phone cannot connect to the Freedom home network, it will connect you to a partner network instead. These will cost you money.

The solution is to disable National Roaming from your account and only use the home network. And the home network is plenty good enough for me. And their home network in constantly improving. I know because in some places where there were zero signal now there is signal.

If we want to fight against monopoly, we have to help the new guy start up. If Freedom survives and is successful, then maybe even more telecommunication companies will come. If Freedom dies, Canada will be back into cellphone monopoly. Who know when the next challenger will come, if ever, given how all of Fido, Mobilicity and Freedom either go down or got sold (so all failed). So if a current plan with Telus is $60 a month, if Freedom dies, that same plan will become $80 for the same thing. That's how monopoly works.

And in case anyone thinks that it isn't a monopoly because we got Telus, Rogers and Bell, when was the last time these big 3 had a price war? Never. I am not going make any accusations here but the big 3 never start any price war AFAIK. Only Shaw and Freedom would start a price war. And price war is what we consumers want. That's what drive prices down.

Many people has told me how bad Freedom is and how awesome their monopoly cellphone provider is. I told them that the only reason why they are paying $60 a month instead of much more is because "foolish" guys like me is keeping Freedom afloat to fight against cellphone monopoly in Canada. =)

And TBH Freedom's connection is not that bad. Yes it isn't as good as the monopoly. But it is plenty good enough in the cities. Now if you are in the outskirts and rural area, you have no choice but to use one of the monopoly. But if you are in the city Freedom is a solid option.
I think you confusing monopoly with the Province not giving a shit idea. Why are the same 3 companies so competitive on quebec as an example because the province has videotron and the province supports it. From freedom to be at that level the province has to support it.

Yes I know "Freedom have a thing call National Roaming" I should not be roaming in my own damn house when i call them what i hear is it is not possible we tested it. I said well why don't you come down to your customers house and see. I am currently paying close to 90 dollars i say enough of this god damn support. Oh wait that's 10 dollars more then then telus plan as you indicated. " So if a current plan with Telus is $60 a month, if Freedom dies, that same plan will become $80 for the same thing. That's how monopoly works. "

I am probably going to end my service with them and move over to Videotron apparently full support in ottawa and all the areas. I wonder how that was accomplished...oh wait they have a deal with the big 3.

Even when i was with rogers my bill was never this high and i had some level of service this is just awful.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13545 posts
4328 upvotes
Gatineau
systemdude wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 8:55 am
I am probably going to end my service with them and move over to Videotron apparently full support in ottawa and all the areas. I wonder how that was accomplished...oh wait they have a deal with the big 3.
Its because of the Spectrum licenses. Ottawa /Gatineau (Quebec) region are one in the same when it comes to spectrum licenses.

Since Videotron has spectrum purchased in Gatineau, means they automatically have this for Ottawa. And it would make sense to cover Ottawa since they would likely not get many clients to sign up in Gatineau without supporting Ottawa.

The same scenario is in place for Freedom Mobile. They have licenses to operate in Ottawa, which automatically means they have the required spectrum to operate in Gatineau as well

djino
Dec 26, 2015
148 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
djino wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 9:29 am
Its because of the Spectrum licenses. Ottawa /Gatineau (Quebec) region are one in the same when it comes to spectrum licenses.

Since Videotron has spectrum purchased in Gatineau, means they automatically have this for Ottawa. And it would make sense to cover Ottawa since they would likely not get many clients to sign up in Gatineau without supporting Ottawa.

The same scenario is in place for Freedom Mobile. They have licenses to operate in Ottawa, which automatically means they have the required spectrum to operate in Gatineau as well

There prices are currently competitive with Freedom heading over there after to get the line transferred over.

djino
Nov 28, 2013
496 posts
221 upvotes
Anyone who got this deal have their plan online show up as 10GB yet? I was told it would initially show up as 4GB and after 7 days it should say 10. I'll wait 7 business days before calling in.
Sep 26, 2014
20 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
torontokris wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 3:01 pm
dJino (I believe) even posted to another forum in 2014 about nearing his 5GB cap and being told "if you want to purchase more full speed data". Could explain why other users were able to get 8GB+ etc (they were using partial speed after the 5GB)

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=& ... 2812253727

However it appears to be a soft-cap at 5GB as they are asking if he wants to purchase data "at full speed".
I was also told/understood that my data was 5GB on I35.. not that I could EVER use that much data where I was located (due to network congestion).
So I tested it and got to 4gb. Got a message pretty much exactly at that point. I guess no more leeway now.
Sep 26, 2014
20 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
sosyed wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 1:09 pm
So I tested it and got to 4gb. Got a message pretty much exactly at that point. I guess no more leeway now.
So I dropped I35 and switched to 59 plan (at $50 weekend promo rate) and added the 35% f&f promo. I heard the LTE reception in the GTA was really good but wow I definitely can't go back to 3g.
Images
  • Screenshot_2017-08-24-15-19-16.png
  • Screenshot_2017-08-24-15-27-39.png
Dec 27, 2007
627 posts
222 upvotes
sosyed wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 4:57 pm
So I dropped I35 and switched to 59 plan (at $50 weekend promo rate) and added the 35% f&f promo. I heard the LTE reception in the GTA was really good but wow I definitely can't go back to 3g.
Nice good call as your actually paying less for the $50 - F&F than you were with the i35 and getting LTE etc.
Where did you get the F&F code from?
How are you finding the voice network in Toronto?
Aug 27, 2017
5 posts
Do you think I can get this 10GB deal with my $50 8GB weekend promo plan from Freedom (from last weekend)? If so, how? (also how can I message another user directly on here without replying to a thread? - sorry I'm new)