Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] $40 for 4GB data

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2017 6:43 pm
Aug 27, 2011
58 posts
7 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Would I be able to get Fido to match this deal from freedom mobile if I called in?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1055 posts
225 upvotes
meatwagon wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:04 pm
not sure why all the downvotes, $40 for 4gb is a good deal. Yeah some dont like the company but maybe you didnt notice they are in the telecom business. They all can be jerks.
$40 for 4gb is only OK since the signal is not great compared to the other options.

They already did a jerk move on initial release by offering bonus data for only 12 months. Looks like they got smarter this time around by making the promotion period a "lifetime" one.
Oct 5, 2004
690 posts
541 upvotes
Vancouver
f3riedrice wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:39 pm
Would I be able to get Fido to match this deal from freedom mobile if I called in?
They're only offering $50 for 3gb when I chatted with them last week. I ended up porting out to zoomer for their $36 2gb plan and with the $50 referral credit. Still get the same Rogers coverage and reception at a much better price.
Apr 7, 2006
119 posts
23 upvotes
um that $59 8gb/1gb away is actually a pretty decent plan
Nov 26, 2012
285 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
The only "freedom" you get from Freedom Mobile is freedom from your phone, because you never have signal lol.

The Zoomer promo is better IMO. You don't get as much data, but at least you get reception!
Dec 22, 2010
135 posts
55 upvotes
Kitchener
Teioh wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:52 pm
um that $59 8gb/1gb away is actually a pretty decent plan
It's actually better to get the 6GB at $49 and adding the 3GB for $10 addon for 9GB for $59.
Dec 13, 2006
271 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver
max011 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:40 pm
And need for very specific phone or two… Also, last time I checked, data was really crappy…

Try Zoomer...
I am on zoomer, last year i was paying $40 for 2gb and everyone go on the zoomer wagon, then they added 1gb for free. So i still dont get how $40 for 4gb isnt a good deal. You walk into bell, rogers telus and they will not offer you that for under 70$ Even at costco, i was looking at the Pixel, oh yeah you want that phone min $105/month plan.. WTF??

I know RFD is full of buck stretching penny pinchers, but still , $40 for 4gb in canada is a good deal. NOt the best deal, but still not worth shitting on someone for.. As for the company goes, i didn realize they were still on AWS, i thought they may of switched over since the bigger network bought them..
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1065 posts
415 upvotes
Vancouver
meatwagon wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:44 pm
I am on zoomer, last year i was paying $40 for 2gb and everyone go on the zoomer wagon, then they added 1gb for free. So i still dont get how $40 for 4gb isnt a good deal. You walk into bell, rogers telus and they will not offer you that for under 70$ Even at costco, i was looking at the Pixel, oh yeah you want that phone min $105/month plan.. WTF??

I know RFD is full of buck stretching penny pinchers, but still , $40 for 4gb in canada is a good deal. NOt the best deal, but still not worth shitting on someone for.. As for the company goes, i didn realize they were still on AWS, i thought they may of switched over since the bigger network bought them..
Try this for a measure:

-Crappy data [Your mileage might wary]

-Terrible reception [Your mileage might wary]

- Very, very limited selection of phones you can use [AWS] [Your mileage will suffer]

-Limited coverage area [Your mileage will suffer]

- Lousy Customer service [Your mileage will suffer]

-etc…

So, you being on Zoomer and all should know about Loyalty 4GB plans for $45 WITHOUT any of the above listed problems, eh? No Zones. Canada wide. Global text/MMS… With free phone [that could be sold], $50 referral credit and FANTASTIC Customer service it works to be WAY cheaper.

If you didn’t know about this – call Zoomer right away.

If you DID know – how can you even compare the two???

Thus the downvotes…

Edit:

Forgot to mention that “Freedom” is now Shaw => is now part of the “Big 4” so element of support for the underdog is gone as well. They trying to compete in the big game with a miserable product…
Last edited by max011 on Apr 20th, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1055 posts
225 upvotes
meatwagon wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:44 pm

We haven't used Freedom, but we've used wind before and I'd say the reception is pretty poor throughout GTA. When we were with wind we suffered from random downtimes for simple things like walking into a mall, no reception after heavy rainfall, or slowness for being in a "crowded" location like lining up at the bank. No point having data when you can't use it when you want to.

You're with Zoomer... would you jump onto the freedom wagon for $40/month? :)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12268 posts
3916 upvotes
Oakville
slimysnot wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:02 pm
We haven't used Freedom, but we've used wind before
So, you used Wind then. All they changed was the name.

Nice to see that they made the 2GB bonus data good for as long as you're with them this time, unlike the screwjob when they first launched LTE where you only got the bonus data for a few months. Of course, Freedom's network is terrible, so it's still a terrible deal, but at least they're kinda maybe learning a little bit.
Public Mobile
Apr 7, 2006
119 posts
23 upvotes
paradyme wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:12 pm
It's actually better to get the 6GB at $49 and adding the 3GB for $10 addon for 9GB for $59.
I think that 3gb data addon is for in zone areas only. The main reason I never went with Wind/FM is because I thought it was ridiculous to lose my data whenever I left the city.
Aug 19, 2014
722 posts
250 upvotes
dredd2099 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:41 am
got excited for a moment that public mobile was bringing back THE promo
oh wells, ty for the post though
likely they won't bring that back. Just may be with high price and canada-wide or something.

Edit: i was right lol
Last edited by chhotadon on Apr 20th, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 7, 2011
738 posts
405 upvotes
VANCOUVER
yeah. I really tried to like Wind because their prices use to be so good. I was paying $29 for unlimited everything but the service was unusable for me. Now that they are owned by shaw, all they have done is jack up the prices and got rid of their unlimited data (throttled data doesn't count as unlimited) with no major improvements to their network. If they were owned by robellus and using their network, then MAYBE this would be a good deal. But as it stands I rather go with City fone/zoomer or public mobile.
Dec 13, 2006
271 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver
I was on wind priar, and i left because it wasnt consistent. So no i would not leave zoomer to go back.. Maybe if they were on someone elses network ( that was my point, i thought they changed over with the purchase)