May 5, 2008
847 posts
192 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:00 pm
Try this for a measure:

-Crappy data [Your mileage might wary]

-Terrible reception [Your mileage might wary]

- Very, very limited selection of phones you can use [AWS] [Your mileage will suffer]

-Limited coverage area [Your mileage will suffer]

- Lousy Customer service [Your mileage will suffer]

-etc…

So, you being on Zoomer and all should know about Loyalty 4GB plans for $45 WITHOUT any of the above listed problems, eh? No Zones. Canada wide. Global text/MMS… With free phone [that could be sold], $50 referral credit and FANTASTIC Customer service it works to be WAY cheaper.

If you didn’t know about this – call Zoomer right away.

If you DID know – how can you even compare the two???

Thus the downvotes…

Edit:

Forgot to mention that “Freedom” is now Shaw => is now part of the “Big 4” so element of support for the underdog is gone as well. They trying to compete in the big game with a miserable product…
Public Mobile's last promo is even better - $3x/month for 4GB data and unlimited everything,
Plus flexibility of having 12GB spread over 3 months.
Absolutely the best plan around!

PM does not have phone support. Not sure if I ever need it..
Was using online-only support with PM for the last half year, and e.g. with voip.ms for the last few years..
Zero problems. Complete customer satisfaction.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13001 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto
goozy1 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:47 pm
yeah. I really tried to like Wind because their prices use to be so good. I was paying $29 for unlimited everything but the service was unusable for me. Now that they are owned by shaw, all they have done is jack up the prices and got rid of their unlimited data (throttled data doesn't count as unlimited) with no major improvements to their network. If they were owned by robellus and using their network, then MAYBE this would be a good deal. But as it stands I rather go with City fone/zoomer or public mobile.
Wind had always applied the fair use policy on data overages. In the earlier years, they were very lenient. As time went by, they would throw out the boat anchor on data speed once the 5 gigs usage was reached. They called it unlimited because data was still available albeit at a speed even slower the unusable normal speed. I was paying $25 for my plans prior to leaving for Public Mobile. For $13 more each month and 1 less gig of usage, it is still better value than Wind. Now they want me to pay $40 for what used to cost $25, no thank you.
May 5, 2008
847 posts
192 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:45 pm
They called it unlimited because data was still available albeit at a speed even slower the unusable normal speed.
Well, honestly, capped speed 256 kbps both ways (or is it 128?) is still very usable pretty much for everything web-surfing wise, even for the audio streaming, just not for video. The problem with Wind/FM was (is!?) that even non-capped speed stalled often at a much lower value, amd with atrocious pings.

Capped speed (256 kbps or so) past your hard data limit is actually pretty nice feature, I wish Public Mobile can implement it some day...
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1266 posts
505 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I guess I"m the only one satisfied with FM? I pay $30 for unlimited everything on one of their old legacy plans and my data has always worked fine, I think I got 15 Mbps last time I did a speed test. I spend most of my time in newmarket, markham, and barrie and data always works fine.
May 28, 2016
33 posts
22 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:29 pm
I guess I"m the only one satisfied with FM? I pay $30 for unlimited everything on one of their old legacy plans and my data has always worked fine, I think I got 15 Mbps last time I did a speed test. I spend most of my time in newmarket, markham, and barrie and data always works fine.
Just did a speedtest with full bars (there's a tower near my house), got 2.8 Mbps down / 856 Kbps up... (it's usually slower than this everywhere else)
On some weekdays during peak hours, data won't even work despite having full bars.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13001 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto
RFDNoob101 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:56 pm
Just did a speedtest with full bars (there's a tower near my house), got 2.8 Mbps down / 856 Kbps up... (it's usually slower than this everywhere else)
On some weekdays during peak hours, data won't even work despite having full bars.
If I got these kinds of results consistently with descent latency, I would still be their customer. It's when the timeout comes before a web page loads that really grinds my gears.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1090 posts
426 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:38 pm
Public Mobile's last promo is even better - $3x/month for 4GB data and unlimited everything,
Plus flexibility of having 12GB spread over 3 months.
Absolutely the best plan around!

PM does not have phone support. Not sure if I ever need it..
Was using online-only support with PM for the last half year, and e.g. with voip.ms for the last few years..
Zero problems. Complete customer satisfaction.
Shoot…

Forgot where I parked my Time Machine….

Back to Zoomer we go...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1702 posts
430 upvotes
Vancouver
One of my friends is a long-term Fido customer and Fido never raises the price of his BYOP plan. I switched to Fido on Black Friday 2016 because of their promo. My experience has been great so far. I pay 36$ (originally 40$, 10% off additional lines) per month for:

- 4GB Data
- Unlimited province-wide talk, global text, picture and video messaging
- 1000 international minutes
- Mini voicemail, call display, and the basics

* Plus I got $175 referral bonus (family of 4). Doesn't it hot? imho YES YES YES.

This FM plan is okay, but the Fido plan is better for me because of the 1k international minutes (clear voice, no lag, calls never being dropped during the peak hours, better than Shaw's Unlimited Asia).
😎 Fido $55/6GB Loyalty Pulse Plan: 6GB, Unltd Canadian LD, Unltd Global Texting, 1000 Intl LD Minutes, Data Bytes, Fido Roam, Spotify... 😄
May 31, 2016
330 posts
289 upvotes
I have 2gb (1gb plus 1gb bonus that expires in Sept) for $40 BYOP Fido. I asked today about freedom mobile matching and they refused. I asked about the $120 credit ($5/month) on bill being advertised on the main Fido page. They refused. Been with Fido for four years now, Rogers for three before that - so seven years with the company. Thinking it may be time for a change.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3911 posts
1282 upvotes
BC
Tichi wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 9:29 pm
Well, honestly, capped speed 256 kbps both ways (or is it 128?) is still very usable pretty much for everything web-surfing wise, even for the audio streaming, just not for video. The problem with Wind/FM was (is!?) that even non-capped speed stalled often at a much lower value, amd with atrocious pings.

Capped speed (256 kbps or so) past your hard data limit is actually pretty nice feature, I wish Public Mobile can implement it some day...
Freedom slows down the data to 32 kbps after you go over your data allotment by 500MB or so. Then if you still keep using data (if that's even possible) they throttle it down even further to a blazing 16 kbps. "Unlimited", isn't so unlimited. You can think of it as more of a 4.5ish GB plan.
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Apr 21st, 2017 12:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3911 posts
1282 upvotes
BC
max011 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:02 pm
Shoot…

Back to Zoomer we go...
Didn't you buy a dual-sim Zenfone so you could use a WIND PYW plan and a Fido Tablet Plan?
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1090 posts
426 upvotes
Vancouver
dealseaker101 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:01 am
Didn't you buy a dual-sim Zenfone so you could use a WIND PYW plan and a Fido Tablet Plan?
Yes, you are totally correct! Works like a charm for me. BUT could not risk to put my better half in the same boat; she _really_ needs her phone conections to be reliable and flowless [and simple] and she'd kill me if something goes wrong. Best I could do was to switch her to Zoomer...

Being her Thech Support makes me a member of the Zoomer family, right...? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Make sense?? :facepalm:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Sep 15, 2010
25 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
So does anybody have anything to say about their LTE network? Everyone's been complaining about their 3G network. I'm curious about reviews of actual users who are on Freedom's LTE. Downvoting something that nobody's actually experienced is not helpful.
Zoomerer since May 30th.
May 5, 2008
847 posts
192 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:02 pm
Shoot…

Back to Zoomer we go...
Ehhh.. hmmm.. Sorry, I do not see how one can get 4GB even for $45 with Zoomer now.
All I see is 2.5GB for $ 45 and NOT unlimited. Care to enlighten me?

Or is it a plan from Blah Blah Land? :)
May 5, 2008
847 posts
192 upvotes
watuzzi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:13 am
So does anybody have anything to say about their LTE network? Everyone's been complaining about their 3G network. I'm curious about reviews of actual users who are on Freedom's LTE. Downvoting something that nobody's actually experienced is not helpful.
Nor is upvoting it :)