[Freedom Mobile] $40 for 4GB data

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2017 3:36 pm
May 5, 2008
642 posts
138 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:58 am
Freedom slows down the data to 32 kbps after you go over your data allotment by 500MB or so. Then if you still keep using data (if that's even possible) they throttle it down even further to a blazing 16 kbps. "Unlimited", isn't so unlimited. You can think of it as more of a 4.5ish GB plan.
Oh.. really... that's atrocious.. I was under the impression that they cap at 256 or 128 kbps both ways.
Not that it matters to me anymote, but, jist out of curiosity, should not it be printed out somewhere in their terms of service?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11621 posts
3551 upvotes
Oakville
watuzzi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:13 am
So does anybody have anything to say about their LTE network? Everyone's been complaining about their 3G network. I'm curious about reviews of actual users who are on Freedom's LTE. Downvoting something that nobody's actually experienced is not helpful.
Nobody has anything to say about it because very few people have a phone that supports it. For most people, this "LTE" plan is still 3G-only, so people downvoting and complaining based on their (terrible) 3G network are perfectly within their rights to do so. Nevermind all the folks (much of Canada, still) that aren't within an LTE-ready area.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Sep 15, 2010
25 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
Well, here's the thing. The plan reported is for their LTE network, and there are probably 7 phones available for it now. Downvoting it is kinda going on yelp and giving a restaurant negative reviews having never tried a restaurant. It's not helpful at all. Automatically passing judgment on past experience is within your right.. just not fair for the current deal.
Zoomerer since May 30th.
Feb 4, 2017
73 posts
75 upvotes
watuzzi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:59 am
Well, here's the thing. The plan reported is for their LTE network, and there are probably 7 phones available for it now. Downvoting it is kinda going on yelp and giving a restaurant negative reviews having never tried a restaurant. It's not helpful at all. Automatically passing judgment on past experience is within your right.. just not fair for the current deal.
As you mentioned, the LTE network from Freedom is only limited to very few phones. Do you really want to upvote this +100 and misleading people to think that they can use their phone on this "LTE" network when they can't? That would not be fair either.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11621 posts
3551 upvotes
Oakville
watuzzi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:59 am
Except it's not *just* for their LTE network. If you don't have one of the phones that works with their LTE yet (many people) or don't live in an area that even HAS LTE yet (also many people), these are still the only plans available to you. To compare to the (really bad) Yelp analogy, this is more like going on Yelp and saying "I ate at this restaurant, the food and service was horrible. They say things are better now, but only if you sit in a certain section of the restaurant that many people can't sit in, and only if you eat with a certain fork that most people aren't able to use yet. Based on past history with the restaurant, I wouldn't recommend going back despite their promises to improve things."
Public Mobile
Koodo
Sep 15, 2010
25 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
wearysky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:31 am
Except it's not *just* for their LTE network. If you don't have one of the phones that works with their LTE yet (many people) or don't live in an area that even HAS LTE yet (also many people), these are still the only plans available to you. To compare to the (really bad) Yelp analogy, this is more like going on Yelp and saying "I ate at this restaurant, the food and service was horrible. They say things are better now, but only if you sit in a certain section of the restaurant that many people can't sit in, and only if you eat with a certain fork that most people aren't able to use yet. Based on past history with the restaurant, I wouldn't recommend going back despite their promises to improve things."
No no, That was a much worse analogy. Thanks for your helpful review of service you no longer use. The deal still seems alright despite all of the hankerings that people have. If you're within the coverage area of their LTE network, this seems like a screaming deal. On that merit, I think it warrants a little more love. If there are caveats, then fine. If you're outta their LTE network then too bad I guess. Coverage should be fine in the GVRD. I'd imagine any phone that comes out this year will probably support Freedom's LTE band too. The S8 and S8+ will also work on it, as does the L6 and other latest and greatest phone sets the last couple of months. Soo how much more choice does one need in terms of stellar phones? Seems like people are stuck on the fact that only 2 phones were available months ago at their announcement.
Zoomerer since May 30th.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3701 posts
1182 upvotes
BC / GVA
Tichi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:22 am

Not that it matters to me anymote, but, jist out of curiosity, should not it be printed out somewhere in their terms of service?
It is written in their data "fair usage" policy. They don't clearly say when they start throttling, but most people are throttled to unsuable speeds after going over by 500MB to 1GB. Still a better deal than what's out there right now, if you spend all your time in the coverage area. However, I wouldn't consider it a true unlimited plan. It's more pseudo-unlimited.

See for yourself, Fair Usage Terms: https://www.freedommobile.ca/docs/defau ... policy.pdf
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
May 5, 2008
642 posts
138 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:44 pm
It is written in their data "fair usage" policy. They don't clearly say when they start throttling, but most people are throttled to unsuable speeds after going over by 500MB to 1GB. Still a better deal than what's out there right now, if you spend all your time in the coverage area. However, I wouldn't consider it a true unlimited plan. It's more pseudo-unlimited.

See for yourself, Fair Usage Terms: https://www.freedommobile.ca/docs/defau ... policy.pdf
Oh, that's too bad. I remember when I exceeded my 5GB quota with WIND, I was still able to get web pages and even audio streaming, off the capped speed, but it did not last for long... Perhaps I can indirectly corroborate your story about capping first to a reasonable speed, and then to a complete unusable garbage..
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1031 posts
396 upvotes
Vancouver
Tichi wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:17 am
Ehhh.. hmmm.. Sorry, I do not see how one can get 4GB even for $45 with Zoomer now.
All I see is 2.5GB for $ 45 and NOT unlimited. Care to enlighten me?

Or is it a plan from Blah Blah Land? :)
In spite of you being unnecessarily sarcastic, and being here long enuf to find a” Zoomer Loyalty” forum discussion on your own, in this no Blah Blah land, I’ll tell you this much: Zoomer is also offering "loyalty" plans to people after 6 months. For example $45 /4GB plan. Comes with unlimited Canada-wide calling, international text as well etc. So you cannot get it if you are not with Zoomer for 6 months. Unadvertised Zoomer Promo as well.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Oct 17, 2016
223 posts
50 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:29 pm
I guess I"m the only one satisfied with FM? I pay $30 for unlimited everything on one of their old legacy plans and my data has always worked fine, I think I got 15 Mbps last time I did a speed test. I spend most of my time in newmarket, markham, and barrie and data always works fine.
No your not the only person satisfied. I've been with them since August 15 2014 and I'm in Edmonton Alberta so I've had free canada wide roaming included in my service since may 2015 thanks to the cross Canada 49 plan that was offered for Alberta customers. Now I'm on the LTE ready Everywhere59 plan with the $10 3gb data addon to give me 11gb of full speed data and I have 1gb of full speed roaming data for Canada and the USA which gets throttled after I pass the allotments for both home and roaming use and there's no charges my data is still usable with 256kbps download and 128kbps upload and I can keep using data. I'm gonna upgrade to the galaxy A5 soon for freedom mobiles LTE network that's launching and I'll have free LTE roaming in addition to the 3G roaming I have as well as WiFi calling and texting.
Currently a Freedom Mobile Customer with the LTE Ready Everywhere59 plan that has Free Canada&USA Roaming. Its great to have freedom anywhere in canada and the USA :)
Oct 17, 2016
223 posts
50 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:53 pm
In spite of you being unnecessarily sarcastic, and being here long enuf to find a” Zoomer Loyalty” forum discussion on your own, in this no Blah Blah land, I’ll tell you this much: Zoomer is also offering "loyalty" plans to people after 6 months. For example $45 /4GB plan. Comes with unlimited Canada-wide calling, international text as well etc. So you cannot get it if you are not with Zoomer for 6 months. Unadvertised Zoomer Promo as well.
Click the additional plan features on all of freedom mobiles plans and you'll see that they don't charge u extra after you pass the full speed allotment or charge extra your speeds are reduced. They don't say unlimited anymore because some stupid customers thought they were getting unlimited high speed data when the fair use policy aka throttling has been in affect ever since someone tried to use over 200gb on their 3G network when they first launched so u can thank that customer for the fair use policy being in place.
Currently a Freedom Mobile Customer with the LTE Ready Everywhere59 plan that has Free Canada&USA Roaming. Its great to have freedom anywhere in canada and the USA :)
Oct 17, 2016
223 posts
50 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:31 am
All of their plans are LTE ready now and they have been for a while. This includes their everywhere plans with free Canada and USA wide roaming. I'm in their LTE ready Everywhere59 plan and I'm gonna be getting the Galaxy A5 soon to enjoy their LTE network and roaming off the big3 LTE networks. As well as WiFi calling and texting.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3090 posts
458 upvotes
Brampton ON
BrandonA586 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:16 pm
All of their plans are LTE ready now and they have been for a while. This includes their everywhere plans with free Canada and USA wide roaming. I'm in their LTE ready Everywhere59 plan and I'm gonna be getting the Galaxy A5 soon to enjoy their LTE network and roaming off the big3 LTE networks. As well as WiFi calling and texting.
Please update us your experience on their LTEnetwork
VirginMobile $55 8gb (BYOP)
VirginMobile $77 6gb Samsung Galaxy S8 2 years contract
Freemdom Mobile $40 - 35% F&F Code
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Oct 17, 2016
223 posts
50 upvotes
d1ulove3 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:00 pm
Please update us your experience on their LTEnetwork
I definitely will do that once I have the new phone and test their LTE network when it launches this summer.
Apr 18, 2004
592 posts
101 upvotes
lost $100 with wind for 1 month, 1k/s data speed, never call connection, lying customer service . stay away wind now freedom mobile to save ur life
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China