Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] $43 per month plan (after Digital Discount) with 9.5GB of data (3GB LTE + 6.5GB 3G), launches on Dec 4th

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 12:04 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 2, 2018
10 posts
82 upvotes
Ontario

[Freedom Mobile] $43 per month plan (after Digital Discount) with 9.5GB of data (3GB LTE + 6.5GB 3G), launches on Dec 4th

Just read this at iphoneincanada.ca
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/free ... -9gb-data/
Shaw’s Freedom Mobile is set to launch a new promotional plan for the holidays, geared towards luring customers from Big 3 flanker (Fido; Koodo; Virgin) and prepaid (Lucky; Chatr; Public Mobile) brands.

The limited time promo plan, set to launch on Tuesday, December 4, 2018, will offer a $43 per month plan (after Digital Discount) with 9.5GB of data (3GB LTE + 6.5GB 3G). Data consumed will occur in the following order:

3GB of LTE > Big Binge LTE Data Bonus (15GB LTE) > 6.5GB of 3G data

According to internal documents seen by iPhone in Canada, this promo plan is also eligible for the company’s Big Binge Bonus Data Offer, making this a “great option for customers who want more for less.”

The plan also includes unlimited Canada-wide calling, unlimited international SMS/MMS, voicemail+, call display, Freedom Mobile Wi-Fi access, is eligible for MyTab and includes World Saver.

Customers will see “LTE” in the top right corner of their smartphone, regardless of whether they’re using LTE or 3G data. Total data usage can be tracked in My Account, but a breakdown of 3GB LTE vs 6.5GB 3G data usage is not available.

Freedom says this plan is only available for customers activating a new service in-store, and is also compatible with Better Together Savings (BTS) and Digital Discount, along with the Big Binge Data Bonus for $40-$49 rate plans.

According to Freedom, retail staff are said to tout this promo plan over rival flanker $45/2GB LTE plans as having unlimited Canada-wide talk, more data, the Big Binge data bonus, plus no overage fees, in a monthly plan that’s $2 less.

Thanks friend!
86 replies
Mar 25, 2009
585 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
How does freedom mobile compare to Public Mobile these days? any expert advice from actual CURRENT users? I need to switch to a new low cost plan from my current Rogers EPP sometime in December. Should I go with this Freedom offer or wait until Public comes up with a better deal?
Mar 19, 2016
73 posts
17 upvotes
canada
mcfrugal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:28 pm
How does freedom mobile compare to Public Mobile these days? any expert advice from actual CURRENT users? I need to switch to a new low cost plan from my current Rogers EPP sometime in December. Should I go with this Freedom offer or wait until Public comes up with a better deal?
I'm with PM. Switched from fido. I couldn't be happier with them. Cell service is top notch, the data speeds are fine. Maybe no 4k streaming, but I can't find an issue with the speeds. Solid plan as well.

Really I wouldn't hesitate. They have a bunch of promos going as well. Just make sure you get a referral.
Apr 9, 2007
17 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
I'm really happy with Freedom. Coverage hasn't been an issue for me in the GTA, and when I've needed support they've been super helpful.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7916 posts
4777 upvotes
Markham
anyone have Freedom up in Aurora/Newmarket area? How's the coverage there?
Dec 22, 2017
114 posts
63 upvotes
I would go for PM then wait for a good migration deal. Many Koodo users on here with $45/8gb deal a while back.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15393 posts
5731 upvotes
Oakville
mcfrugal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:28 pm
It *really* depends on the areas that you frequent. For LTE data, you should be fine most places. 3G is still pretty hit or miss in some areas, from what I've heard (which will affect calls and texts, since it looks like they're doing capped-speed LTE for their "3g" data the same way that PM does). If I had to personally choose between Freedom and Public? I'd rather go with Public's 8GB speed-capped LTE for $50 right now, and hope for an even sweeter Koodo migration deal. But that's just me.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1480 posts
528 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GeneralAkbar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:33 pm
I would go for PM then wait for a good migration deal. Many Koodo users on here with $45/8gb deal a while back.
Totally! This is a way better deal than going with Freedom that has spotty coverage in and out of urban areas.
Feb 23, 2014
29 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
Sorry if I'm a bit confused, but is this 9.5gb a month? Or 3gb/month + up to 6.5gb in overuse data?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12691 posts
1221 upvotes
Mississauga
Sauted wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:45 pm
Sorry if I'm a bit confused, but is this 9.5gb a month? Or 3gb/month + up to 6.5gb in overuse data?
I'm confused as well. Is it 3gb on non-freedom LTE network or is this just LTE speed and then bump down to 3G on Freedom's own network.
Jun 17, 2005
203 posts
121 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hmmmm I feel like this is a big downgrade from previous offers that were around $40 for 10gb LTE. Even if it was $45 for 10gb LTE I'd still prefer that offer... pretty sure those types of offers were common not too long ago (for those of us that have that magic time machine).
Oct 19, 2011
529 posts
152 upvotes
The only good part is that you're connected to lte and throttled to 3g speeds. But what speeds are those I wonder?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
2985 posts
2334 upvotes
Toronto
Now wait for Public Mobile to match this.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2005
1630 posts
127 upvotes
Victoria
freedom isnt offered in my city.
my city isnt that small ... capital city of BC!!
there is a shaw headquarters across the street

so i am happy with PM, since i know it works everywhere
Jul 15, 2003
382 posts
199 upvotes
shpinktaar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 4:33 pm
Hmmmm I feel like this is a big downgrade from previous offers that were around $40 for 10gb LTE. Even if it was $45 for 10gb LTE I'd still prefer that offer... pretty sure those types of offers were common not too long ago (for those of us that have that magic time machine).
When was it 40 for 10gb?