Expired Hot Deals

[Freedom Mobile] $43 per month plan (after Digital Discount) with 9.5GB of data (3GB LTE + 6.5GB 3G), launches on Dec 4th

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 12:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1846 posts
388 upvotes
THORNHILL
I’m with freedom in vaughan and the network is terrible. 1 in 3 calls go straight to vm LTE signal that is 3g in other networks. Constantly have toswitch my phone in to airplane mode and back to get reception as it constantly times out. And I have an iPhone 8 under contract from them not a byod. We had gotten two numbers for me and the wife but ended porting my wife to public this way at least outside gta one of the phones has reception.
Feb 29, 2012
167 posts
48 upvotes
shpinktaar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:30 pm
Wow I just looked it up... I guess it's been a little over a year at this point. Time flies I guess. https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/ ... 0gb-promo/
Even so -- 1 year means $3 more and 6gb less LTE? Wow.
Even comparing to earlier this year, I'm sure most people would pay $7 more for full speed LTE on all of the home data (even if it's 1.5GB less), plus 1GB of Canada/US roaming data and unlimited voice/text roaming and unlimited US calling.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16498 posts
2161 upvotes
My mother's phone is currently on Public mobile with the classic $120 - 12GB plan ... wonder if I should switch to Freedom Mobile? I guess I'll get Canada wide calling rather than provincial?

With auto-pay digital discount, does this mean the plan is $38 a month?
Last edited by coolspot on Dec 4th, 2018 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Feb 29, 2012
167 posts
48 upvotes
mcfart wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 5:18 pm
The only good part is that you're connected to lte and throttled to 3g speeds. But what speeds are those I wonder?
LTE signal is routinely weaker than H+ signal most of the time, so if I was throttled (which I have been), that signal is better.
Oct 4, 2005
139 posts
47 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:36 am
My mother's phone is currently on Public mobile with the classic $120 - 12GB plan ... wonder if I should switch to Freedom Mobile? I guess I'll get Canada wide calling rather than provincial?
I wouldn’t do it. That’s a great plan with great reception. Does she need the extra data?
May 20, 2017
482 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
coolspot wrote:

Why you didn't switch your mother to Koodo during August and September month Migration offer $40/8GB Data with bill credit $180 that will bring down $30.20 for 12 month Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Oh well is too late now,hope Koodo might compete FM again Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1885 posts
157 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:28 pm
How does freedom mobile compare to Public Mobile these days? any expert advice from actual CURRENT users? I need to switch to a new low cost plan from my current Rogers EPP sometime in December. Should I go with this Freedom offer or wait until Public comes up with a better deal?
I am currently using a Koodo line for my main phone and Freedom mobile with my tablet.

As far as coverage goes, I would suggest you just wait it out for a good Public Mobile/Koodo deal. You can get LTE speeds with pretty good data allowances for a good price. Coverage with Freedom mobile (for me at least) is good and has much improved vs what was Wind mobile. That being said, considering your alternatives, you can get better coverage, faster speeds, and (on some occasion) better rates.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17162 posts
5593 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:

Don't make your mother suffer. Stay with Public Mobile. Just buy a long distance add-on and that for calling outside the province. I have this same plan with Public Mobile. Unless they force me off of it, I am not changing a thing.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Aug 17, 2008
636 posts
64 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote:
How does freedom mobile compare to Public Mobile these days? any expert advice from actual CURRENT users? I need to switch to a new low cost plan from my current Rogers EPP sometime in December. Should I go with this Freedom offer or wait until Public comes up with a better deal?
As someone that's been with Freedom for almost 7 years....it's gotten a lot better. Still doesn't compare to the Big 3 and it's subsidiaries, but it will get the job done. However, only within the GTA. You go up north a bit (Northern edges of Vaughan, Newmarket) or West (Hamilton) then it's a toss up. But if you mostly stay within the city, it's good.

For example, if you stay within the boundaries of Downtown, Etobicoke, Scarborough, Mississauga, North York, East York etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1520 posts
510 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote:
I have a freedom line in gta. Basically spotty coverage. No reception at malls when crowded.

Grandfathered plan so price was cheap. Otherwise would have switched to pm (I had line there and very good coverage)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15476 posts
5788 upvotes
Oakville
Sauted wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:45 pm
Sorry if I'm a bit confused, but is this 9.5gb a month? Or 3gb/month + up to 6.5gb in overuse data?
weedb0y wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:48 pm
I'm confused as well. Is it 3gb on non-freedom LTE network or is this just LTE speed and then bump down to 3G on Freedom's own network.
It's 3GB full speed LTE data on Freedom's network. Then once you use that up, they throttle your speed to "3G" speeds, still on Freedom's LTE network.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1087 posts
538 upvotes
Vancouver
mcfrugal wrote:
How does freedom mobile compare to Public Mobile these days?
PM, Koodo and Telus are very high quality signals in Greater Vancouver.

Freedom Mobile is terrible. Go into some buildings/stores - dead. Go into some less populated areas - dead. Go under bus lines - dead. When driving or in a bus - dead/live/dead/live...

Another strange thing happens with Freedom Mobile, but this one may be something else...
When I go to a US site for reading prices or comments (Amazon.com, etc.), I'll get a data signal lost and then reconnect.

Weird. I don't know if that's Freedom's doing or the US site. Perhaps Freedom does some cheaper cell-data to hardline-data switching to save costs and that IP switch drops the signal for a moment.

(Doesn't happen with Telus.)
Last edited by RxMills on Dec 4th, 2018 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 14, 2018
141 posts
183 upvotes
GeneralAkbar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:33 pm
I would go for PM then wait for a good migration deal. Many Koodo users on here with $45/8gb deal a while back.
wearysky wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:37 pm
I'd rather go with Public's 8GB speed-capped LTE for $50 right now, and hope for an even sweeter Koodo migration deal. But that's just me.
AsianXL wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 3:38 pm
Totally! This is a way better deal than going with Freedom that has spotty coverage in and out of urban areas.
PM may offer a good alternative to this deal (for those who need better coverage), but I wouldn't hold my breath for any more migration deals. There's a good chance we won't see those ever again.
Dec 8, 2002
922 posts
255 upvotes
Oakville
NinjaSaves wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:40 am
PM may offer a good alternative to this deal (for those who need better coverage), but I wouldn't hold my breath for any more migration deals. There's a good chance we won't see those ever again.
Never say ever :). If they are looking to boost their subscriber base to increase stock holders confidence, you better believe they’d want to convert prepaid to postpaid (pm>Koodo).