Cell Phones

Freedom mobile doesn't offer vacation mode, whats my alternative?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2017 11:57 am
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough

Freedom mobile doesn't offer vacation mode, whats my alternative?

Wife is planning on travelling and since Freedom doesn't offer suspension mode what's the cheapest alternative to porting her number for a prepaid or something that won't cost her much money so that when she returns she can just port it back to Freedom mobile or another provider based on what promotions are available.

I was thinking 7-11 speakout but not sure if anyone else has any suggestions.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Koodo allows vacation mode. you can look at present Koodo offer and see if any of those fits your wife.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
apvm wrote: Koodo allows vacation mode. you can look at present Koodo offer and see if any of those fits your wife.
Koodoo allows suspension mode on prepaid? I heard you had to be with them for 1-3 months before requesting suspension mode? I just found out Public Mobile offers a 90 day basic plan for $30 and you have 90 days before it expires. Seeing as she will be away for 5 months I can technically Pay $30 for the entire 5 month suspension and not lose the number.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
If she is going to be away for 5 months, speakout is her best bet since all speakout coupon expires in 256 days. Buy a sim card $10 plus $25 air time and she should be fine . Nonetheless since your found a 90 days for $30 plan from Public Mobile, it works too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
have the phone call in sick.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
How long's the vacation for? If it's for less than a month, negotiate a one time goodwill credit with Freewind.

Otherwise port to Fongo or VoIP.MS.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3566 posts
1644 upvotes
Brampton
so their 'suspend service' on website is bs?
can't find terms for it
freedom.JPG

edit:
ahh, ok, only for lost/stolen phones and still have to pay for regular monthly, heh
What happens when I’m suspended?

You will still be responsible to pay your minimum monthly charges while your service is suspended, however you are no longer at risk of additional charges, like long distance.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1464 posts
1174 upvotes
Virgin Prepaid let's you keep $0 balance. Sim costs $4 on eBay.

I don't know if they have a policy where account is deactivated if no calls made for a while, but you can load $5 on it. And make one call every month just to keep active ($0.40/min). Can even ask Virgin that when does account become inactive if not used.