Freedom Mobile Huge Expansion in Eastern Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 12:13 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
376 posts
1041 upvotes

Freedom Mobile Huge Expansion in Eastern Ontario

Their coverage area has increased substantially in Eastern Ontario to include Lindsay, Port Hope, Cobourg, Brighton, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee, Gananoque, Brockville, Cornwall, and Pembroke

https://www.freedommobile.ca/network-an ... e/coverage

FreedomCoverage.PNG
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30321 posts
4920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Shaw should just get in bed with Rogers and share towers

If Bell and Telus can do it. The cable providers should do the same thing.
Oct 17, 2010
452 posts
218 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 12:36 am
Shaw should just get in bed with Rogers and share towers

If Bell and Telus can do it. The cable providers should do the same thing.
And if they do... no more $40 7gb or $50 10gb plan. All the price plans across Big 3 will mostly like increases. Unlimited US calling has already disappeared since Shaw took over Wind.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30321 posts
4920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Tobsterboi wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 12:56 pm
And if they do... no more $40 7gb or $50 10gb plan. All the price plans across Big 3 will mostly like increases. Unlimited US calling has already disappeared since Shaw took over Wind.
Sounds like a decent trade off

You're currently paying for service that doesn't work
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3292 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary
Above's mentality is one the reasons why there is never a real competition in Canada.

Shaw is building their network and if they continue doing this expansion, they will be a lot better in time and can really compete with the big 3.

Some people just need to be think smart.
Oct 17, 2010
452 posts
218 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 2:03 pm
Sounds like a decent trade off

You're currently paying for service that doesn't work
Maybe the trade off is good in a short term. But if you look at the wirelss market in a bigger picture a partnership between shaw and roger will equal to lesser competition thus higher prices, and more expensive hardwares. It would also mean no more public mobile, lucky or zoomer.
Last edited by Tobsterboi on Mar 16th, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30321 posts
4920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Tobsterboi wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 4:42 pm
Maybe the trade off is good in a short term. But if you look at the wirelss market in a bigger picture a merger between shaw and roger will equal to lesser competition thus higher prices, and more expensive hardwares. It would also mean no more public mobile, lucky or zoomer.
Whoa

Who said anything about a merger? I just want a peering agreement
Oct 17, 2010
452 posts
218 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 9:47 pm
Whoa

Who said anything about a merger? I just want a peering agreement
My bad. I changed it to "partnership" :)
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30321 posts
4920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
casperr wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 4:32 pm
Above's mentality is one the reasons why there is never a real competition in Canada.

Shaw is building their network and if they continue doing this expansion, they will be a lot better in time and can really compete with the big 3.

Some people just need to be think smart.
I don't want Shaw to merge with Rogers. That is not the intention.

Sure, everyone can enjoy cheap prices. But is it worth the savings if you don't have service or limited service (Only works when you are standing still)? What exactly are you paying for?

Okay, let Shaw be the lone wolf. They invest in their network and build it out. They may even catch up to the incumbents. Do you think the prices will remain cheap? Someone has to pay for all that infrastructure investment.

All I am saying is that, Shaw should find a way to allow their customers to ROAM on the Rogers network. Give their paying customers service so you don't send an SMS and hope that the recipient receives it within a day.

Maybe it is just me. But I rely on my cell phone and I would like it to work when I need it. I don't want to have an emergency and my cell phone has no service because I am in a dead zone.

Wind released a plan back in 2011. The monthly fee is $5 and it allows unlimited SMS and free incoming calls. All outbound calls were charged. I signed up for that plan and I am still paying $60 a year to keep the plan. The SIM is in a drawer some where and I check it once a year to see if I get service. Last time I sent an SMS, it took 4 hours to receive it on my Rogers line.
Feb 17, 2017
784 posts
495 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 11:40 pm
I don't want Shaw to merge with Rogers. That is not the intention.

Sure, everyone can enjoy cheap prices. But is it worth the savings if you don't have service or limited service (Only works when you are standing still)? What exactly are you paying for?

Okay, let Shaw be the lone wolf. They invest in their network and build it out. They may even catch up to the incumbents. Do you think the prices will remain cheap? Someone has to pay for all that infrastructure investment.

All I am saying is that, Shaw should find a way to allow their customers to ROAM on the Rogers network. Give their paying customers service so you don't send an SMS and hope that the recipient receives it within a day.

Maybe it is just me. But I rely on my cell phone and I would like it to work when I need it. I don't want to have an emergency and my cell phone has no service because I am in a dead zone.

Wind released a plan back in 2011. The monthly fee is $5 and it allows unlimited SMS and free incoming calls. All outbound calls were charged. I signed up for that plan and I am still paying $60 a year to keep the plan. The SIM is in a drawer some where and I check it once a year to see if I get service. Last time I sent an SMS, it took 4 hours to receive it on my Rogers line.
No wonder your getting poor service on it. Freedom has had at least 5 newer versions of sim cards. Those old sim cards are barely compatible with the network anymore
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30321 posts
4920 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:11 am
No wonder your getting poor service on it. Freedom has had at least 5 newer versions of sim cards. Those old sim cards are barely compatible with the network anymore
You might be right. I am going to get a new SIM card on Monday