Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Freedom Mobile

Locked: iPhone 8/8+/X starting at $0 Plus $15+/mo MyTab Boost for 24 months on current $50+ plans*, sales start Dec 8th

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 9:20 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
ddmmak wrote: So we are basically going to a store to reserve tomorrow.. possibly a deposit? I assume we only port over our number when we receive and activate the phone...
Yep, I called and they said so. Nothing about a deposit though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Super strokey wrote: Yep, I called and they said so. Nothing about a deposit though.
No deposit existing customer.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1310 posts
366 upvotes
I went instore today and they said it’s 100 dollar deposit refundable when you pickup your phone. Not saying this is 100% confirmed just what i was told I’ll know tomorrow for sure when I go order 2 iPhone X
Jan 31, 2008
60 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
sounds good.. thank you
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
M-_-C wrote: I went instore today and they said it’s 100 dollar deposit refundable when you pickup your phone. Not saying this is 100% confirmed just what i was told I’ll know tomorrow for sure when I go order 2 iPhone X
Good to know, thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Can someone confirm if family and friends 35% can still be applied to new plans? I was at the store and one employee told me he still got couple of codes left so if I go tomorrow and sign up with him he will apply the codes. Is there a way to see the code is applied and valid when signing up instead of waiting for the 1st statement? Thought I read somewhere the code had a expiry date in late Aug?
Jun 25, 2017
117 posts
119 upvotes
ON
I'm thinking of getting this deal. But want to know if anyone here has had experience with coverage in the basement in the gta area. I'm ok if I don't get LTE as i have WiFi but my concern is normal voice calls. I got a test sim from FM (its activated) and it connects only on the away network on my ZenFone 2. I wasn't able to make any calls or texts while in the away network.

Anyone having used FM in basements? Can you share your experience?
Oct 6, 2006
355 posts
183 upvotes
mustu521 wrote: I'm thinking of getting this deal. But want to know if anyone here has had experience with coverage in the basement in the gta area. I'm ok if I don't get LTE as i have WiFi but my concern is normal voice calls. I got a test sim from FM (its activated) and it connects only on the away network on my ZenFone 2. I wasn't able to make any calls or texts while in the away network.

Anyone having used FM in basements? Can you share your experience?
If I’m not mistaken, freedom should have Wi-Fi calling. So for the most part it should be ok. I’m with Fido and get one bar in my house, but Wi-Fi calling is covering me here.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Jun 25, 2017
117 posts
119 upvotes
ON
The guy at the store said WiFi calling works only if the phone firmware supports it. Like their LG v30's. Not sure if the iPhone 8 supports.
Oct 6, 2006
355 posts
183 upvotes
mustu521 wrote: The guy at the store said WiFi calling works only if the phone firmware supports it. Like their LG v30's. Not sure if the iPhone 8 supports.
All iPhones iOS 9 (I’m pretty sure it was introduced on the 9) and up support it. I’m on iOS 11 and I have wifi calling, so I’m 99.999% sure it has it.
Apr 29, 2017
20 posts
1 upvote
repatch wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't think Bay St could ever put enough pressure to get that done in a few months. The 700MHz bands are completely different animals then what Freedom currently has. Adding B66 meant basically just a reconfig or replacement of the head end radios, everything else probably could have remained. Adding B7 is harder since you'd probably need different hardware at the site (i.e. new waveguides to the antennas, and perhaps new or additional antennas, it depends what hardware they've got).

700MHz bands WILL require additional antennas, no chance their current ones would work well (or at all) with those bands. That means additional radio hardware at each site, additional runs of coax, additional antennas (if they had room on the site). That's not even dealing with the regulatory issues (more bands means more emissions, meaning new permits probably). Then to support those new bands each site would probably need more backend capacity, either over microwave links which might be maxed already, or through the fibre/coax to the site, which also might need an upgrade.

Each site is it's own job, each has to be planned separately, but in sync with the others. Unless they have been actively already upgrading their sites (I haven't seen additional antennas added to Freedom sites near me) this is not something that has any chance of being done in months.
Dude, the reason we're here talking about this is largely due to the pressure to perform (ie stock price) from Bay street. Without the current owner, I dont think Wind has the drive or funding to make it this far with iPhones in their lineup. Given their progress in the last 12 months, anything is possible. FM is determined to be the 4th national player and I hope they will as this will benefit all of us in the long run.

By the way, good technical explanation :)
Sep 14, 2017
66 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Am I understanding correctly that these promotional prices are available until November 30th and not exclusively on Black Friday only? So I could go to a FM store on lets say Monday and preorder then?
CJ
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1273 posts
873 upvotes
canada
Listen up.

The 35 % is only if u know an employee who gives u the code. They have 5 each only.

This is not some deal where u can mopy on in on the 30th and expect to get it. The phones have a limited amount of pre orders. The last like promo which was for a much less popular phone etc was the lg pixel or something and the pre order promo was over in 2 weeks. iPhone being much more popular - this will be filled up by day 1 or 2 probably maybe Sunday latest.

Lateness will not get rewarded. Stop snoozing get out there
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
ANONYT wrote: For those with iPhones, did the phone automatically determine the ceulluar settings / data? When I was with freedom I had to manually enter them in the APN setting section etc. then reset the phone for it to work.

Quite frustrating at the time but I’m glad they’ve fixed that issue
i added all mine the other day for mms as well when I got 7+
Cambridge,Ontario
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
tyreman wrote: i added all mine the other day for mms as well when I got 7+
Yea you have to manually add it in, because any iPhone between 5s to 7+ only can support 3G (Band 4, 7) and requires the APN settings to be in place so it can connect. Next year when Freedom upgrades their towers, this band frequency will be applied as well, and any of those iPhone users will be able to utilize that frequency. The newer iPhone's are B66 so no settings required, it should work out of the box and with LTE.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11264 upvotes
kabyLake wrote: Yea you have to manually add it in, because any iPhone between 5s to 7+ only can support 3G (Band 4, 7) and requires the APN settings to be in place so it can connect. Next year when Freedom upgrades their towers, this band frequency will be applied as well, and any of those iPhone users will be able to utilize that frequency. The newer iPhone's are B66 so no settings required, it should work out of the box and with LTE.
Band support and out of the box APN support are completely separate issues.

What matters is if Apple included the APN settings in the iPhone firmware. I'm assuming that part of Freedom selling the iPhone is that those models will have been updated to support Freedom settings out of the box.

While annoying, lack of out of the box APN settings is pretty much a non issues since you can manually add those settings. Most stores will set up your BYOP in front of you for that reason. When I travel and buy a local SIM I always have the store enter the settings right there at the desk. No biggie.
Jun 25, 2017
117 posts
119 upvotes
ON
Busta wrote: All iPhones iOS 9 (I’m pretty sure it was introduced on the 9) and up support it. I’m on iOS 11 and I have wifi calling, so I’m 99.999% sure it has it.
Yes i know the new iphones support WiFi calling but the question is does it work with freedom?. Are you on freedom?
Oct 6, 2006
355 posts
183 upvotes
mustu521 wrote: Yes i know the new iphones support WiFi calling but the question is does it work with freedom?. Are you on freedom?
Touche, I did a quick search and Freedom Mobile do not support it on iOS devices. That is killer.

"Wi-Fi Calling requires customization of a phone’s operating system so, unfortunately, we’re not able to offer Wi-Fi Calling on phones that haven’t been purchased from us, nor on iOS phones."
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
Apple store wouldn't set my Freedom settings up
Said to go to Freedom Kiosk
Freedom got it better
Then went home looked up at Howard forums under Freedom and got the Sticky Full settings
Cambridge,Ontario
Sep 27, 2016
108 posts
129 upvotes
d1ulove3 wrote: This will be a good deal for the 8 with friends and family discount.
iPhone 8 64gb & Plan $50 - 35% = 32.5 + $15 = $47.5 * 24 = $1140 - $929 $ 211 for 24 months.

iPhone 8 plus 64gb & Plan $50 - 35% = 32.5 + $25 = $57.5 * 24 = $1380 - $1059 $ 321 for 24 months.

Now may be our friends from PM will be moving to FM see yah at FM.
How do
You get the discount?