Ongoing Deal Discussion

Freedom Mobile

Non-Listed Plan $19/mo (After Discounts, possibly YMMV) 1.5GB, Unltd Talk (Nation), Text (World), VM+/CC/Hotspots

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 3:31 pm
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1538 posts
1228 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: you might want to consider one of those unlimited plans from the bigger carriers for a bit more.
No, it won't be 'a bit more'. I have a 0.25gb plan for $15/mo, I've used almost 2gb current cycle, and I still have a week to go. I thought the deal on this thread would be perfect for me if it was POSTPAID.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, Wise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Aug 21, 2014
62 posts
62 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
For those that actually have the currently advertised $29 PREPAID plan ($24 after digital discount), what addons are available to purchase when accessing your account online?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
AsianXL wrote: Freedom's LTE is useless if your phone does not support Band 66. The overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support.
"Overwhelming majority of today's newest phones do not have LTE B66 support" that is an understatement, what year are you talking from?

Majority of the latest premium and even mid range phones released in the last 2 years in Canada support band 66....iPhone X/8/8+/XR/XS....Samsung S8/S9/Note8/Note9....LG V35/V40 and most mid range phones. Just look at freedom's large collection of phones...includes many mid range devices as well...they all support B66

And Freedom has AWS4 LTE as well in GTA, I have seen my phone on multiple bands....Freedom works VERY WELL for most people in GTA and other big cities....I wont say EXCELLENT because you truly need a proper phone with VoLTE and WiFI Calling support to enjoy "Excellent" but otherwise I have had very little concern as I have a personal line with Freedom and a big family/friends circle on Freedom as well (At least 30 people).
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2467 posts
1082 upvotes
GTA
xkaliber wrote: It's prepaid, and there was never a need for a credit check - or not one I knew of or consented to, I did not know it was it standard procedure to require anything like that for any plan I've ever signed up for before... kinda crazy to imagine! We just finished our first month and they just took $19 from my credit card, didn't receive a bill and unless you've used some kind of premium fee-for-use service, I don't expect to pay anything extra. Only thing my mom got was a reminder on her cell phone that the credit card would be billed the day before billing cycle ended.
What does your auto pay say now? still $19 or $24? probably signing up for this today. Thanks.
Jun 15, 2009
245 posts
77 upvotes
Victoria
I've been testing out FM since February when it was rolled out in Victoria with their Big Gig promo at half off for 6 months. My spare phone does not have band 66, it has 1-5/7-8/12-13/17/19/20/28-30/38-41. Other than when I signed up in the store, I have never been on LTE except when I left the city and piggybacked on their away network. On H+ right now, I get 5-6.0 Mbps down and 1.4-1.5 Mbps up. My Telus phone (same phone) is currently on LTE, Band 13 (I use the android app "LTE Discovery" to find out which band I'm on) and I'm getting speeds of 5.5/2.5. on average. With Telus, I'm usually swapping between bands 4 and 5. This is actually the first time I've noticed it on Band 13. Not much difference! I am currently in the basement however, and I only have 2 bars on Telus, full bars with Freedom (on H+).

Being on H+ hasn't been a hindrance. I have been playing Harry Potter:Wizards Unite on Freedom for the last month and had no issues. My only problem is that there are way more "dead zones" - areas where I'm actually getting zero connectivity, and I'm still inside the city limits. This has convinced me that I cannot give up Telus. For $30/mth, sure I can live with it (especially as a secondary phone), but not at $60/mth as my main device.

I have a child starting highschool in September so I was looking at switching to the $15/mth 250mb plan, because the one thing I have noticed is that Shaw PassPoints are everywhere, and it connects automatically. I've done a lot of research and found a very cheap phone that has all the bands that Freedom uses - Motorola Moto E5 Play, https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-XT19216P ... ms?ie=UTF8 - currently for sale on Amazon.ca for $114.99.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e5_play-9175.php

This plan that OP has posted for $19 is great and I would jump on that, but until someone else chimes in and says they got the same deal, I'm not going to switch before my current promo expires.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone able to get this? Spoke with 1 store and 1kiosk, no luck.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Phantom wrote: My plan says that too. Despite that, on this prepaid plan when I ran out of data, it completely stopped. They really want you to buy the $15 1 GB data add on when you run out.
Well I have phoned tech support and billing and have it on recorded messages that it does not stop. Perhaps this happens to some? I just can’t see how their tech people and billing people will on recorded conversations tell you something which is on the web site. They were adamant about it.

In any case, there seems to be so much disinformation going around about FM. Band 66 requiremts, poor phone reception, etc... I have not noticed any of this. I am using both a band 66 supported phone and one that isn’t. Don’t notice any different in the GTA. In fact FM has been every bit as good as Rogers for me.

The only complaint I have is the difficulty in applying a balance on a prepaid plan to your bill. It is really not obvious.
Jan 9, 2008
93 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Is it still available?
I can only see $25 plan($5 digital discount) but it has 1GB of data and only incoming calls are free
xkaliber wrote: Went to Freedom Mobile to get my elderly mother signed up for a simple, talk/text/data plan (plan is likely not suitable for those who expect perfect coverage and use lots of data).

Our original plan was to do the Freedom 250MB since she stays local, travels only within major suburban/urban areas and her primary data uses are for WhatsApp and social media. The worry of poor reception was minuscule for her since her world won't fall apart just because her internet lags out or she loses reception momentarily. Can't say the same for myself...

Data 250MB of Fast LTE (Freedom Network)

Talk (Freedom Nationwide)
100 min of calls to Canada
Unlimited incoming calls

Text (Freedom Nationwide)
Unlimited text, picture, and video messaging to Canada and the U.S.
Unlimited global picture and video messaging

Additional Plan Features (Freedom Nationwide)
Voicemail+
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
Access to Freedom Wi-Fi Hotspots in Western Canada
$0.15/min. for extra minutes of calls to Canada
Standard long-distance rates apply for calls to the U.S. and other international destinations
$0.05/text for international text messages

Cost would have been $15 after -$5 from digital discount (full price $20) per month.

They of course tried to talk me up to the next tier for 500MB w/ unlimited talk/text - but because Freedom throttles after data limits and my mom won't even do 100mins/month, we didn't care much for it. WhatsApp and social media would work perfectly fine on even throttled speeds. After some discussion, the rep offered a sweeter deal... a $29 plan but with a $10/mo discount. So for an extra $4/mo ($19/mo) from our original plan, we got...

For this specific plan, they deepened the digital discount to $10/mo instead. I went to the portal to confirm the auto-pay amount.

I'm told the promo doesn't expire as long as we don't otherwise modify our plan. I did a search to see if this would be a repost, but couldn't find it... welcome to yell at me if it exists. I did see another $19 plan offered in another thread, but the conditions were different. This would have normally been the $24 (after discount) plan, I believe with an extra $5/off per month stacked on top. I don't have the details as to the availability of this, so I marked it YMMV for now unless someone can confirm.
Unlimited Cell Plans & Phones(iPhone & Android) PM for details
https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How's reception on a Redmi Note 8 in GTA?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
I have my kids on 5GB prepaid plans for $35 month and since there are 5 of us, we each get $5 off for a final monthly price of $30 per line.

When I was having problems with monthly credits, last year, a supervisor told me that I could switch each or all lines to any type of plan that was available. Basically, you could switch to any published or non published plans as long as their system still had it available. I switched my plan to one that allowed me better or no long distance charges.

It’s worth the discussion to see what’s available to you, other than the current published plans or promotions.
Feb 18, 2019
478 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
this plan is no longer available for $19, it is $24 now . Checked website. Any way to get it at old price?
Nov 21, 2011
722 posts
138 upvotes
CALGARY, CA
Seems port out the number (not sure cheapest way)
Then port it back to freedom after few hours

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)