• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2019 6:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2012
67 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton

Freedom Mobile now has the same network consistency as Rogers

Tutela recently published their State of Mobile Networks for March 2019, and as expected, Bell and Telus rank #1 for network consistency/speed. What I found interesting though, is that when you compare Rogers and Freedom, both seem to have very similar network consistency and speed.

In terms of network consistency, 75.4% of the time, tests on Rogers network were ranked as "Excellent"*. This is only slightly more than Freedom's 72.9%. As for network speed, Rogers average download speed was 14.8 Mbps, while Freedom's average download speed was 14.3 Mbps.

Bell, as a comparison, had 84.9% of tests ranked Excellent, and average download speeds of 27.1 Mbps.

Based on this report, Freedom may have improved enough to finally be considered on par with the big 3 (well, Rogers at least), in terms of network consistency and speed. I personally don't know if I'd switch yet from Koodo, but this knowledge definitely makes Freedom a more enticing option to me.

*An "Excellent" rating was categorized as download speeds >4 Mbps, upload speeds >2Mbps, with ping <50ms, jitter <30ms, and packet loss at ~0%. These speeds were described as sufficient for the most demanding mobile use cases, including 1080p HD video streaming and HD group video calling

Link to report: https://www.tutela.com/blog/state-of-mo ... a-march-19
Last edited by KLegend on Mar 18th, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30050 posts
4753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Problem is, you need to stand still in one spot to get that speed with freedom and be in a freedom zone
Nov 30, 2016
83 posts
75 upvotes
Freedom coverage is not quite there yet. Download speed means nothing if you can't get a proper signal at your location, inside buildings etc. I welcome the improvements though.

-A freedom user since 2017.
Jul 22, 2007
302 posts
47 upvotes
I don't think these tests mean much.

Freedom still lacking in "home" coverage.

And at least on West coast, I hear alot of complaints about bell just connecting.

This report just alludes to the consistency of the connection, when you actually have a connection... Which may be stronger in some areas than others.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15631 posts
5888 upvotes
Oakville
Yeah, they're basing their study on speed test results collected from users. So Public Mobile, for example, gets a worse score because most Public Mobile users are on capped speed plans now. Is PM's network any worse than Telus/Koodo? Of course not, it's the same network. But those users get lower speedtest results *because that's what their plan gives them*. Silly. Freedom's 3G coverage is still hit or miss in a lot of places, which is important for calls and texts being reliable. But if you did an LTE speed test in that same spotty area? You'd (maybe) get a great result. This measurement is VERY SPECIFICALLY only a measure of "how consistently fast are users' speed test results on a given network", and to label it as anything else is pure fiction.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Jan 9, 2012
67 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
Yep, I see the points some of you have brought up -- the test doesn't/can't work if you don't have a signal. I personally didn't think that was still an issue on Freedom but I was mistaken. I've changed the title to reflect that though because this is still good progress. Hopefully Freedom continues to improve their network to the point where there are less dead zones and actually getting a signal isn't a problem.
May 17, 2008
166 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
I just tested a Freedom iPhone 8 today deep in the middle of a 240k sq ft warehouse building. Absolutely zero signal.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Cupuacu