Cell Phones

Freedom Mobile - Wifi Calling being rolled out to other devices (Last update)!)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 8:52 pm
Aug 29, 2017
771 posts
3194 upvotes

Freedom Mobile - Wifi Calling being rolled out to other devices (Last update)!)

This will be my last update

VoWifi Now available on:

Samsung S9
Samsung S9+
Samsung S8
Samsung S8+
Samsung A8
Sony Xperia XA2
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra

Sony XZ1
Sony XA1 Ultra
Sony XA1
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4
LG V30
LG V20
LG G6
LG Q6
LG XPower2
LG Stylo 3 Plus
ZTE Grand X4
ZTE ZFive2

EDIT: Added and Updated List
Last edited by BuciMaci on Nov 21st, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
27 replies
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
72 upvotes
Hola
I would like to know if this feature is locked to only phones that were purchased from Freedom. Or are they allowing any compatible phone to be used. Many people buy unlocked phones from elsewhere and cannot use these "premium" calling features on other carriers.
Oct 4, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
how is this wifi calling different from calling on google voice?
Nov 14, 2013
72 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
moh2010 wrote: Hola
I would like to know if this feature is locked to only phones that were purchased from Freedom. Or are they allowing any compatible phone to be used. Many people buy unlocked phones from elsewhere and cannot use these "premium" calling features on other carriers.
I am using an LG G6 on Freedom that was originally a Koodo phone before being unlocked. Originally there wasn't any WiFi option in settings but after recent update I am able to use it on Freedom and it works great.
Aug 29, 2017
771 posts
3194 upvotes
TillTuesday wrote: how is this wifi calling different from calling on google voice?
You don't need a separate Google voice number. You can call with your Freedom number from anywhere in the world where there is Wifi.

As far as I know, only works on Freedom branded phones. Enabling VoWifi requires providers' unique software.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
TillTuesday wrote: how is this wifi calling different from calling on google voice?
Helps with low-no signal areas or when roaming. If your connected to wifi, you'd be able to use your phone as if you were on the cell network. You can make calls and people can call you.
Oct 4, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: You don't need a separate Google voice number. You can call with your Freedom number from anywhere in the world where there is Wifi.

As far as I know, only works on Freedom branded phones. Enabling VoWifi requires providers' unique software.
So, if I'm on wifi in China or Antartica, the call I make to Toronto or any call I receive is a local call and I won't get charged roaming?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Accat38lat5 wrote:
I am using an LG G6 on Freedom that was originally a Koodo phone before being unlocked. Originally there wasn't any WiFi option in settings but after recent update I am able to use it on Freedom and it works great.
LGs may be a special beast.
Since the latest update on my V20 it is part of their add-in 'app centre' or whatever they call it.
There's an entry for "wifi calling optimizations" - previously it needed a full ROM download/update (700MB+) but that was only a 1MB update or so and done through the app centre.
In theory, LG could push it to any compatible phone as an app vs a new ROM being required.
TillTuesday wrote: So, if I'm on wifi in China or Antartica, the call I make to Toronto or any call I receive is a local call and I won't get charged roaming?
Correct. Anywhere you have wifi you can call, text and MMS normally like it's in your plan so long as you're connected to wifi.
Best to use airplane mode and manually engage wifi to ensure you're actually sending/receiving over wifi and not roaming networks.
Oct 4, 2017
58 posts
19 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Correct. Anywhere you have wifi you can call, text and MMS normally like it's in your plan so long as you're connected to wifi.
Best to use airplane mode and manually engage wifi to ensure you're actually sending/receiving over wifi and not roaming networks.
Interesting. thanks!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
BuciMaci wrote: VoWifi Now available on:

Sony XA1 Ultra
Sony XA1
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4

LG V30
LG V20
LG G6
LG Q6
LG XPower2
LG Stylo 3 Plus
ZTE ZFive2

https://www.freedommobile.ca/network-an ... fi-calling
Surprisingly no Samsung Galaxy S or Note series, or even iPhones.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: As far as I know, only works on Freedom branded phones. Enabling VoWifi requires providers' unique software.
I have a Pixel phone. Is there a hack to enable this?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
heymikey wrote: I have a Pixel phone. Is there a hack to enable this?
For there to be a hack, you'd need the sip credentials, which the carrier will *never* release for a "VoWiFi feature" :twisted:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 24, 2016
236 posts
316 upvotes
WIFI Calling is already avilable by defualt on Note8, S8, iPhone 8 and iPhone x.
Rogers $52.50 150GB CAN/US/MEX
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
37 upvotes
jdayellow wrote: WIFI Calling is already avilable by defualt on Note8, S8, iPhone 8 and iPhone x.
But without Carrier update those phone's will not work on Wifi calling.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Nice to know my budget XA1 has this feature.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
plucky duck wrote: Nice to know my budget XA1 has this feature.
Heck, even a $50 carrier smartphone on Freedom should get VoWiFi. Least they can do to offset their network limitations.

I wish all carriers offered VoWiFi without IP restrictions, allowing talk & text without roaming charges internationally, as it wouldn't be much cost to the carrier.
Jul 17, 2010
336 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Heck, even a $50 carrier smartphone on Freedom should get VoWiFi. Least they can do to offset their network limitations.

I wish all carriers offered VoWiFi without IP restrictions, allowing talk & text without roaming charges internationally, as it wouldn't be much cost to the carrier.
A budget phone got VoWiFi, while my "flagship" Galaxy S8 I got from Freedom still doesn't support it.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
js321 wrote: A budget phone got VoWiFi, while my "flagship" Galaxy S8 I got from Freedom still doesn't support it.
:lol:

VoWiFi is easy to simulate. Conditionally "call forward busy/no answer" to Fongo for inbound calls. As for outbound calls, use Google Hangouts (it'll spoof the outbound call display with your number after doing SMS validation). Problem solved!

I personally refuse to deal with any carrier whose network won't reach basement or cottage. That means Freeshucks and Robbers are out. Sticking to Bellus network, especially given that I don't roam...always grab a local sim when I travel.

I can see the convenience in VoWiFi, but it's not a decision factor for me when choosing a carrier.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
My unlocked LG G6 that isnt from freedom mobile got this feature 2 weeks before it was listed as a supported phone for wifi calling on freedom mobiles website.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)