Cell Phones

Freedom (Shaw) added LTE to older accounts

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 8:25 pm
Jan 22, 2012
188 posts
63 upvotes
Waterloo
Hmm, followed the instructions but my Nexus 5X is still on 3G in Waterloo. It's weird because they have Waterloo shown well within the current LTE coverage map on their website.

It's more than just Band 6 as well, they're doing 2500mhz and AWS-1 if I read right, which is available to the vast majority of LTE enabled phones (not just brand new Band 66 phones)

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/26/shaw ... -spectrum/
May 17, 2013
18 posts
22 upvotes
I noticed yesterday on my OnePlus2 the 4G symbol in the top right corner (and sometimes the slower H+). I was curious/confused and even ran a speedtest (yesterday downloading 10mbs, today download 8 Mbs and upload 3 Mbs). I was waiting to see if this was a temporary blip, but service is still showing 4G after more than 24 hours (although the 4G seems to be consuming much more battery on my phone than 3g did). I'm on the old $30 (6 GB) plan. No email about the upgrade, so hopefully this is permanent for me as well..
Aug 5, 2009
306 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
cjohnson03 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
Hmm, followed the instructions but my Nexus 5X is still on 3G in Waterloo. It's weird because they have Waterloo shown well within the current LTE coverage map on their website.

It's more than just Band 6 as well, they're doing 2500mhz and AWS-1 if I read right, which is available to the vast majority of LTE enabled phones (not just brand new Band 66 phones)

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/26/shaw ... -spectrum/
From what I'm understanding, freedom has LTE that requires specific phones outside the norm currently but are upgrading their LTE to use a band more widely used so more phones are supported. Although LTE is currently supported in Waterloo it's the less used band, the new band may not be out until mid-November according to this

I'm pretty sure AWS-1 is supported by our Nexuses too, so it's just a matter of time
Last edited by xXxTehxXx on Nov 7th, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 28, 2003
308 posts
25 upvotes
I just received a text about LTE being added to my plan (old $30 5gb). I checked that LTE was enabled and restarted my phone. It's connected to LTE now (currently in Kanata). I've heard about this being temporary but the text didn't mention anything about it.
We've added LTE on your plan! When your area is upgraded, more customers will enjoy LTE on their current phones. We'll reach out. Get setup bit.ly/2lVlfYa
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1561 posts
169 upvotes
Ash9001 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
Now only if chatr follows...
why would rogers do that? so their fido can die faster?

for anyone interest
LE Max 2 actually support the LTE in Wind as i've already indicated in another thread
Last edited by okano on Nov 7th, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 8, 2014
440 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
What type of data speeds to you guys get during peak hours (5-8pm)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1805 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
djcake wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:06 pm
I have the original holiday miracle plan and I got the same msg
Profit!!!!
Nov 11, 2012
892 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought the $29 unlimited everything plan when Wind had a huge sale. Everyone said Wind sucks and I was making a huge mistake. Now I get unlimited everything and free LTE while everyone else pays Rogers $80+ a month for nothing plan lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1805 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
shmogt wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:26 pm
I bought the $29 unlimited everything plan when Wind had a huge sale. Everyone said Wind sucks and I was making a huge mistake. Now I get unlimited everything and free LTE while everyone else pays Rogers $80+ a month for nothing plan lol.
You are a winner, lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2357 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
xXxTehxXx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:18 pm
From what I'm understanding, freedom has LTE that requires specific phones outside the norm currently but are upgrading their LTE to use a band more widely used so more phones are supported. Although LTE is currently supported in Waterloo it's the less used band, the new band may not be out until mid-November according to this

I'm pretty sure AWS-1 is supported by our Nexuses too, so it's just a matter of time
Freedom purchased their way into other bands now? I thought they didn't have permission to use other bands.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Mar 1, 2012
426 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
crazy if they had given this offer before i might still be with them... well better late than never.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1805 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:36 pm
What's the cheapest LTE phone compatible with Wind?
ZTE ZFive2

I suggest a LG X Power2 for Wi-Fi calling, having 1.5 GB of Ram and running Android 7.
Last edited by raichu1 on Nov 7th, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 8, 2009
1770 posts
470 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
xXxTehxXx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:18 pm
I doubt that will happen. Mind you, most 2017 phones have LTE band 66, so getting a compatible handset is becoming increasingly affordable, even if it's not via carrier.
okano wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:20 pm
why would rogers do that? so their fido can die faster?
Agreed. Hence Bell grandfathered Solo.

I think it's great that those who've been paying Freedom Mobile for years for access to a network that's perpetually in infancy can finally benefit from LTE access while retaining their grandfathered plans.

This will mean that more Freedom Mobile subscribers will have access to LTE, pending only on a compatible handset. This will make it easier for Freedom Mobile subscribers to exploit the Koodo hack for phones. Since at least half of cellphone buyers on Kijiji and LetGo are on Freedom (within their covered area), the newer phones will likely sell faster given that they'll have LTE access.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming