• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:49 pm
Mar 1, 2012
424 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
shmogt wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:26 pm
I bought the $29 unlimited everything plan when Wind had a huge sale. Everyone said Wind sucks and I was making a huge mistake. Now I get unlimited everything and free LTE while everyone else pays Rogers $80+ a month for nothing plan lol.
i switched to public mobile. Had the 29 unlimited plan, had they given everyone lte when it launched i would probably still be on freedom.
Nov 11, 2014
82 posts
20 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Im on the back to school $29 per month for 5 gb plan and did not receive any text message.

Are people receiving the texts already on a band 66 LTE capable device on the network?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga
Wind uses band 17 (maybe 4) for LTE in all areas other than GTA. All phones from 2015 will work OUTSIDE of GTA on Wind LTE.

A phone compatible with band 66 is a requirement within GTA for wind LTE. Most phones do not support it, other than top of the line in 2017 or couple noted above
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
winston1234 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:45 pm
Im on the back to school $29 per month for 5 gb plan and did not receive any text message.

Are people receiving the texts already on a band 66 LTE capable device on the network?
I am but no. It appears that those not with comparable phones get an email. They then have to buy a phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:46 pm
Wind uses band 17 (maybe 4) for LTE in all areas other than GTA. All phones from 2015 will work OUTSIDE of GTA on Wind LTE.

A phone compatible with band 66 is a requirement within GTA for wind LTE. Most phones do not support it, other than top of the line in 2017 or couple noted above
More than a couple, like 10 under $700. https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and- ... le-devices
Last edited by raichu1 on Nov 7th, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2355 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
They finally come to their senses.
Probably controlling who get access to lte and who doesn't cost them more.
I really don't think they will change the lte band 66 in GTA. They are not authorized to use it.
But band 66 is becoming more popular. If you are getting the pixel 2, you will have band 66.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26151 posts
6049 upvotes
GTHA
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:46 pm

Shaw (Freedom Mobile) is deploying 2500 MHz spectrum and refarming a portion of our existing AWS-1 spectrum for LTE. This is expected to be completed by early December 2017 in Western Canada and early 2018 in the rest of Freedom Mobile's coverage area.

Source: http://www.marketwired.com/press-releas ... 238465.htm
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2355 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just tested lte in gta with my moto e4. Download 23.99, upload 27.99. Cheers
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3935 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
I received the message today, as well. I have an Samsung S7 Edge. Thing is, it's always reported G4, since I got it last year. Anyone know if it should specifically indicate LTE or does G4 mean LTE?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7437 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
My thoughts:
Guess they got enough people to switch to higher plans, so caved and switched everyone to be able to offer band4 everywhere and secure their iphone path (Apple likely required them to offer service to old iphones everywhere, as part of that deal)
Since some areas are very tight in AWS spectrum, they likely couldn't maintain call capacity with all the 3G holdouts on half the spectrum while offering B4 LTE on the other half.
By offering LTE to all they alleviate the 3G portion for calls only and get all the data on the more efficient LTE side.
They offered a trial in eastern ontario for a while, likely testing if this plan would work before making it network-wide.
They've already refarmed several markets to get B4 LTE that previously only had B66.
djcake wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:06 pm
I have the original holiday miracle plan and I got the same msg
Unless you do a lot of US calling, you would have been better off to upgrade in Aug/Sept to the new $40 plan, which trades US calling for an extra GB (and at the time, LTE access)
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3960 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
djcake wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:06 pm
I have the original holiday miracle plan and I got the same msg
The plan has lived up to its name.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:32 pm
I received the message today, as well. I have an Samsung S7 Edge. Thing is, it's always reported G4, since I got it last year. Anyone know if it should specifically indicate LTE or does G4 mean LTE?
4G =/= LTE.
Last edited by raichu1 on Nov 7th, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 30, 2008
776 posts
16 upvotes
Has anyone had LTE work on non 66 band phones anywhere in Toronto yet?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2331 posts
249 upvotes
I know it sounds dumb, but I'm a little pissed that they did this.

When LTE first came out, we screamed that they should be upgrading everyone automatically or for a small, one-time fee. We figured that being loyal would finally be rewarded. But they didn't listen and, instead required more expensive plans in order to get LTE. Thanks for nothing!

Fast forward 12 months. Now everyone gets LTE, including legacy plans, without any additional cost. So when I switched away from I35 in order to get LTE, it turns out I didn't have. If I had waited it out, I would have gotten it for free. Instead now, I have to pay extra every single month because of my "LTE-enabled" plan. I end up getting screwed AGAIN!

I can't believe these idiots!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
My wife is on the old Wind plan of $5/month unlimited text and free incoming calls. She also got the message too.
Nice try though
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call