• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 8:25 pm
Dec 18, 2005
435 posts
11 upvotes
Etobicoke
aqnd wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:33 pm

Unless you do a lot of US calling, you would have been better off to upgrade in Aug/Sept to the new $40 plan, which trades US calling for an extra GB (and at the time, LTE access)
My step kids live in the US and we make calls almost daily
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2414 upvotes
ON
djcake wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:39 pm
My step kids live in the US and we make calls almost daily
Definitely the better choice, then.
I used maybe 5 minutes in 6 years.
Oct 9, 2011
255 posts
60 upvotes
OAKVILLE
Lucky I only switched 2 out of 6 of my legacy plans from them. Let's see if I can get LTE with my existing handsets when it is finally available.
2 x Zoomer Wireless $36 loyalty plans
4 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ask me anything about Zoomer or Freedom
Aug 17, 2008
482 posts
8 upvotes
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:46 pm
Wind uses band 17 (maybe 4) for LTE in all areas other than GTA. All phones from 2015 will work OUTSIDE of GTA on Wind LTE.

A phone compatible with band 66 is a requirement within GTA for wind LTE. Most phones do not support it, other than top of the line in 2017 or couple noted above
That explains why my 6P doesn't have access.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1113 posts
281 upvotes
Great. Took them long enough to realize that people with grandfathered plans aren't going to switch over.
Nov 24, 2013
66 posts
38 upvotes
this is great, was just about to leave freedom
now i can keep my cheap plan but will need to buy a new phone lol

btw does anyone know if the lte will have a data cap?
i'm still on unlimited data for 4G, wondering if lte will also be unlimited
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2414 upvotes
ON
hunt3rshadow wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:02 pm
That explains why my 6P doesn't have access.
Your 6P will have access shortly, they're refarming b4 and adding b7 to GTA.
Some of the suburbs have already been converted to b4 LTE. (every phone should have b4 these days)
katie9853864 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:18 pm
this is great, was just about to leave freedom
now i can keep my cheap plan but will need to buy a new phone lol

btw does anyone know if the lte will have a data cap?
i'm still on unlimited data for 4G, wondering if lte will also be unlimited
Your plan doesn't change. You still have x full speed and then throttled. Hasn't changed since 2010, aside from them actually advertising the number clearly instead of "unlimited" (*5GB fine print)
Jun 9, 2009
396 posts
25 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone here in Hamilton have it? Or hell, even Toronto... are we close to Rogers/Telus speeds?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2414 upvotes
ON
peji911 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:04 pm
Anyone here in Hamilton have it? Or hell, even Toronto... are we close to Rogers/Telus speeds?
Not without b66.
The b4 slices are very small in comparison and will likely be very congested until b7 launches.
Currently b66 averages 30-35mbps, up to 100 in some areas (and likely down quite a bit in over congested areas)

On b4 you'll be lucky to max out at 30, likely around 10-15.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1196 posts
190 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
I was shopping for new phone with a friend at FM yesterday (Vancouver). He has old unlimited plan with US calling for $40. While at the store he got an email about his plan being able to use LTE.

The rep said FM will be adding band 700Mhz (band 13, I think) within the next year.

They have a lot of phones that support band 66. Rep was pushing the Sony Experia abd Motorola Play 2. They had the Galaxy A5 for $400.
Oct 7, 2008
782 posts
99 upvotes
LG G4 been showing "LTE" for a while recently in Ottawa, was wondering what that was about lol
Feb 22, 2016
779 posts
395 upvotes
shmogt wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:26 pm
I bought the $29 unlimited everything plan when Wind had a huge sale. Everyone said Wind sucks and I was making a huge mistake. Now I get unlimited everything and free LTE while everyone else pays Rogers $80+ a month for nothing plan lol.
I'm still on that very short-lived $39 promo from 2013 with unlimited everything in the home zones PLUS unlimited U.S. roaming (talk, text, data) and no caps/throttling. Since I travel to the U.S. often and I'm almost never in "away" territory in Canada, this deal is a no-brainer and I'm glad it's been grandfathered. I was NOT going to give that price up just to upgrade to LTE. And now I don't have to! Sweet! "Robbers Roam Like Home for $5 a Day"? Really? I get that included... in my $1.30/day plan :-)
Aug 22, 2017
242 posts
71 upvotes
I think all this change with Freedom is for good, and finally shuts the mouths on the naysayers about call quality and data integrity. Just wanted to let you guys know, Freedom is also in the works of deploying Apple iPhone's, now that iPhone 8 and X both support B66. And with B4 and B7 soon to be used by Freedom this put's lots of iPhone users to be able to use LTE on their networks. I wonder what Robbers and Hell's strategy will be to retain customers? Let the battle BEGIN!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2774 posts
262 upvotes
Edmonton
Indeed with the roll out of B4 and B7, this will really give the big 3 some serious competition.

Good thing I decided to keep this line along with my PM line. I was starting to be jealous of other people who has good plans from before for like $35 or $39 but then I realize mine isn't too bad either the Everywhere 58 plan but comes out to $27 a month after discounts.

Shaw is really serious to become the 4th national carrier. With how they've been so aggressive, they are on the way to achieving that.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13103 posts
2961 upvotes
Toronto
e-man wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:38 pm
I know it sounds dumb, but I'm a little pissed that they did this.

When LTE first came out, we screamed that they should be upgrading everyone automatically or for a small, one-time fee. We figured that being loyal would finally be rewarded. But they didn't listen and, instead required more expensive plans in order to get LTE. Thanks for nothing!

Fast forward 12 months. Now everyone gets LTE, including legacy plans, without any additional cost. So when I switched away from I35 in order to get LTE, it turns out I didn't have. If I had waited it out, I would have gotten it for free. Instead now, I have to pay extra every single month because of my "LTE-enabled" plan. I end up getting screwed AGAIN!

I can't believe these idiots!
In my case, Shaw screwed themselves. I had a bunch of $30 ($25 with BTS) for 5 gig plans. They provided no indications of reverting the old 3G plans to LTE. So, they ran my patience down to zero and I left. Even if I had a time machine, I would not use it to restore my Wind account.