Freedom (Shaw) added LTE to older accounts

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 8:25 pm
May 5, 2008
912 posts
208 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:27 am
I think all this change with Freedom is for good, and finally shuts the mouths on the naysayers about call quality and data integrity. Just wanted to let you guys know, Freedom is also in the works of deploying Apple iPhone's, now that iPhone 8 and X both support B66. And with B4 and B7 soon to be used by Freedom this put's lots of iPhone users to be able to use LTE on their networks. I wonder what Robbers and Hell's strategy will be to retain customers? Let the battle BEGIN!
For the battle to begin, Freedom needs to jump over its head, and liberate their customers from "freedom zones".
How likely this to happen? And by what cost? Rumours were, they are going to partner with Rogers to use rogers network outside their zones? Has that happened yet?

I was paying about $32/month per line for my Wind lines. Now paying about $35 per line for PM, and feel so much happier with my service.
LTE on Freedom would not make me return, until zones exist. Ah, yes, and decent Freedom plans start from $50/month now.

So what battle you are talking about...?

Instead, the whole situation is morphing into a Big-3.5 :)
Jan 22, 2012
188 posts
63 upvotes
Waterloo
Well that didn't take long, I woke up this morning and my Nexus 5X has LTE in Waterloo! 11.5mbps down, 4mpbs up. Very respectable, especially the upload speed.

Aug 17, 2008
482 posts
8 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:01 pm
Your 6P will have access shortly, they're refarming b4 and adding b7 to GTA.
Some of the suburbs have already been converted to b4 LTE. (every phone should have b4 these days)
They implied by early spring 2018, correct?
Nov 7, 2016
86 posts
13 upvotes
Canada
Ash9001 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:12 pm
Now only if chatr follows...
It should be the other way around. I can’t wait for Freedom ti expand their Home network.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1807 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
hunt3rshadow wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:41 am
They implied by early spring 2018, correct?
Yep for the GTA.
Apr 15, 2009
43 posts
13 upvotes
toronto
Tichi wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:11 am
... Rumours were, they are going to partner with Rogers to use rogers network outside their zones? Has that happened yet?
They are using Rogers network outside their zones. If it wasn't for Rogers /Bell / Telus, you wouldn't have signal outside the zones. The issue is that you pay different price to that network and that's their pricing policy, nothing to do with their partnership with Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2420 upvotes
ON
mstefa wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:15 pm
They are using Rogers network outside their zones. If it wasn't for Rogers /Bell / Telus, you wouldn't have signal outside the zones. The issue is that you pay different price to that network and that's their pricing policy, nothing to do with their partnership with Rogers.
I think he means roam for free (no restrictions except the 50%) as you see with other carriers.

I don't see rogers making that deal with Shaw without anything in it for them.
Perhaps backhaul in the west, or has been said before, partnering on a 5G network together like belus did for 3G/LTE

I could see such a deal existing with videotron, though. Reciprocal free roaming for both regional carriers.
Then it wouldn't really matter that freedom has no QC spectrum.
Nov 3, 2007
789 posts
33 upvotes
Cambridge
My iPhone 7+ won’t run on 3g only LTE
Last edited by tyreman on Nov 9th, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3880 posts
1676 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:43 pm
I think he means roam for free (no restrictions except the 50%) as you see with other carriers.

I don't see rogers making that deal with Shaw without anything in it for them.
Perhaps backhaul in the west, or has been said before, partnering on a 5G network together like belus did for 3G/LTE

I could see such a deal existing with videotron, though. Reciprocal free roaming for both regional carriers.
Then it wouldn't really matter that freedom has no QC spectrum.
:lol: Why would Videotron want to roam on that network?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2420 upvotes
ON
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:01 pm
:lol: Why would Videotron want to roam on that network?
Because it's about to be 4x better than it was a year ago?
Get a deal now while it's cheap/free and take advantage of it after shaw funds all the improvements.
Mar 19, 2011
16 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
I also got this message , still have a question : do I need to get a new sim ( LTE sim?) on top of a new LTE compatible phone?
Nov 3, 2007
789 posts
33 upvotes
Cambridge
my old nano sim is working on LTE
It had been 3g
make sure if you want to do MMS messages that you fill all Freedom's numbers into the network connections for MMS
mine phone I had to do
Cambridge,Ontario
Mar 12, 2008
456 posts
50 upvotes
What a beautiful explanation.
They cant compete with big three as their plans are as close to big3 or expensive and still zoned. I had to help a person stranded in the road, his car broke down, and he could not hear a thing because of bad coverage. I had to give him my PM phone to make calls and search some phone numbers on the internet.
Tichi wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:11 am
For the battle to begin, Freedom needs to jump over its head, and liberate their customers from "freedom zones".
How likely this to happen? And by what cost? Rumours were, they are going to partner with Rogers to use rogers network outside their zones? Has that happened yet?

I was paying about $32/month per line for my Wind lines. Now paying about $35 per line for PM, and feel so much happier with my service.
LTE on Freedom would not make me return, until zones exist. Ah, yes, and decent Freedom plans start from $50/month now.

So what battle you are talking about...?

Instead, the whole situation is morphing into a Big-3.5 :)
Mar 19, 2011
16 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
tyreman wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 6:52 am
my old nano sim is working on LTE
It had been 3g
make sure if you want to do MMS messages that you fill all Freedom's numbers into the network connections for MMS
mine phone I had to do
Thx!
Feb 9, 2013
948 posts
154 upvotes
Mississauga
I got an email and text message that Freedom has switched my account to LTE. I have an Android Nougat phone, but the data icon does not show LTE, instead it shows H+. I have restarted the phone, but still does not show LTE letters. Speed is about 6MB/1.5MB speed, which does not seem like LTE. Any suggestions? Using Samsung S6 phone.