Computers & Electronics

[FreedomPop] VOIP sip credentials - Free!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2018 3:38 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7404 posts
3432 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

[FreedomPop] VOIP sip credentials - Free!

Take advantage of FreedomPop's voip network and use the sip credentials in whichever software/hardware you like...even on their free plan! FreedomPop doesn't give out sip credentials, but they don't seem to feel too strongly against those who grab the sip credentials since the steps for grabbing the credentials are even posted on their own forum (although the steps aren't outlined as nicely, and no documentation for putting it in an ATA provided).

This may not be super useful if you already have Google Voice setup with a US number, except that I don't think Google Voice will give you 100 overseas calling minutes free per month.

You can do this with an account linked to a global sim. Reasons for doing this is say when you're in the US or one of the roaming countries, you're using a dual-sim phone, one sim slot with FreedomPop, one with another local or roaming carrier, and you want to be able to make calls through the other sim using stock dialer. Otherwise, create the account through the app for talk/sms only, and save your roaming sim for trips to the US. If you use the app, it'll disconnect the sip registration in your 3rd party app, sip phone or ATA so if you plan on using the sip credentials, this is good if you don't plan on using the app for the same account.

I heard that porting a Canadian number works, but it's not officially supported. YMMV.

Grabbing FreedomPop account sip credentials is even discussed on their official forum and the carrier turns a blind eye to this to accommodate users who go dual sim.

Requirements:
  • a rooted Android smartphone (wouldn't know how to do it on an iPhone, as I never used an iPhone)
  • a credit card...can be pre-paid, does not matter what balance is left on the card, and even this can be optional

Why do this:
  • 200 minutes talk per month (USA & Canada) through a US number
  • 100 minutes per month to various destinations across Europe and Asia
  • Way easier than setting up a US number through Google Voice
  • If the free minutes allowance isn't enough, you can have as many of these accounts as you want
  • No overages. If you reach your limits, you'll get no service unless you purchase add-ons or wait until next billing cycle
  • Using your own ATA, you can have your own call answer (most cordless phone sets have an integrated answering machine now)

Limitations:
  • Sip credentials in another app/device will not support texting
  • UK calling won't work with those premium UK numbers for forwarding calls internationally
  • Voicemail costs extra, so you'd rely on your phone hardware's call answer
  • No call forwarding, noteven if you offer to pay them.

Steps:
  1. Flip your rooted phone system language to English US. After creating the account through the app, you can set it to whatever language/locale you want in language settings.
  2. On your rooted Android phone, install FreedomPop app by grabbing an APK via web search. If you're paranoid about the credit card requirement, grab an older version of the app (but credit card will still be required to enable the 100 overseas minutes). Newer version of the app makes it easier to hand-pick a nice number. Create an account through the app and get a number. You can create accounts using Gmail alias (example john.doe+1@gmail.com will send email to john.doe@gmail.com, but the account user would be john.doe+1@gmail.com), meaning you don't have to create multiple email addresses in order to setup multiple FreedomPop accounts.
  3. Optional - enable the Global 100 free minutes add-on within the app.
  4. Install an SQL DB reader (such as SQLite DB Reader from Play Store). Within the SQL reader, go to FreedomPop's .db file (there's a few of them). You'll grab user name which looks like 1[area code][nxx]XXXX_(bunch of numbers). Then in the data field, that's your sip password (long string of letters and numbers). Server is fp.layered.net
  5. Once you have the sip settings, save them somewhere. Now safe to uninstall FreedomPop app, or at very least, log off in the app.
  6. Now configure the sip settings in your favourite sip client or sip phone/ATA.

Important note for dialing: dialing out to Canada/USA requires 11 digit dialing (1[NPA][NXX]XXXX). Overseas calling is "011[country code]xxx...."

I have scripted a dial plan that will work with Cisco/Linksys ATA's / sip phones:
(<2:12>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<3:13>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<4:14>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<5:15>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<6:16>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<7:17>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<8:18>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<9:19>xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|011xxxxxx.|xxxxxxxx.|1900x.!|1976x.!)
This dial plan will allow ten digit dialing (meaning if you call Canada/US without putting the "1" at the beginning, the dial plan will do that for you). Also allowing overseas calls. If you call a country that isn't included in the overseas calling list, the call simply won't be connected.

List of countries you can call free with this service: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... ling-plans
Last edited by titaniumtux on Mar 15th, 2017 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
56 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15240 posts
1177 upvotes
Scarborough
seems like a lot of work... and if it's free then it means I'm the product?
input from anyone else?
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3631 posts
154 upvotes
Montreal
actng wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:11 am
input from anyone else?
Yeah this is a lot work since 200 minutes has a 2$ value at voip.ms. I mean, it's still good value if you need a U.S. Telephone number, but for most people, maybe not worth the effort especially if the loophole closes at some point.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4706 upvotes
I'm more curious as to why it needs root.

Unless it's for gathering the field out of SQLite database in which case I'm ok with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1745 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
Is this only for outbound calling? Or do you get a free DID with this too?
Does SMS work?
Jun 27, 2006
476 posts
107 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
just go to voip.ms and get a number from anywhere in the US
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
Already have Freephoneline and Google Voice. This sounds like a lot of work for little gain.

I guess if someone is starting from scratch with neither FPL or GV then maybe.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5994 posts
1015 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Is it for voip over ata or android cell voip?

Is it a way to use an android phone to find out some information and put it after in the sip?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2060 posts
921 upvotes
Pretty pointless. The FreedomPop app itself is a SIP client and pretty good at that. This only makes sense for integrating with the Android native dialer or setting up your own voicemail.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7404 posts
3432 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
actng wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:11 am
input from anyone else?
It's a bit of work at first, but my tutorial makes it way easier than figuring it all out on your own. It's beneficial if you want a free US number for in and outbound calls in your VOIP ATA for casual use (for very heavy usage probably worth paying MagicJack or Nettalk), or could benefit from their overseas calling deal. If the minutes allowance is not enough, you could get as many of these accounts as you want, and essentially call those overseas destinations for free as much as you want.
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:24 am
I'm more curious as to why it needs root.

Unless it's for gathering the field out of SQLite database in which case I'm ok with it.
Yes it's for grabbing the SQL DB info in order to retrieve SIP credentials. Once you have the SIP credentials, you can use it in a non-rooted device.
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:45 am
Is this only for outbound calling? Or do you get a free DID with this too?
Does SMS work?
You get a free DID for life. Through their web portal, you can even port in a US number.

SMS works through their official app. Anyone could use their official app. I posted the steps for using the steps for those who could benefit from using this outside of the official app, either SIP client or ATA.
Travellots wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:39 am
Already have Freephoneline and Google Voice. This sounds like a lot of work for little gain.

I guess if someone is starting from scratch with neither FPL or GV then maybe.
If you already have Google Voice set up with a US number, this is mostly pointless, but I don't think Google Voice will give you 100 free minutes of calling several overseas destinations.
L4cky wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:57 am
Is it for voip over ata or android cell voip?

Is it a way to use an android phone to find out some information and put it after in the sip?
VOIP over ATA or Android sip client, your choice!

This is correct, you grab the sip credentials from your rooted phone, and then put in the sip credentials wherever you like.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Oct 27, 2016
268 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
thanks OP, gonna try this on my Android phone. currently im purely VoIP and this is my setup -

Bria softphone to connect everything together except for SMS
anveo for incoming (0.01cent per minute)
gv for outgoing (unlimited but no international)
freedompop international (currently trying thanks to OP)
textplus for sms needs
[removed]
Apr 25, 2005
693 posts
167 upvotes
Almost an off topic question. Can the Freedompop app be used without popping in the SIM? This is for getting sms or calls on the FP number once you've provided the phone number out to people.
Oct 27, 2016
268 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
thanks OP! done followed the instructions. working on my bria client.

tested calling international singapore resturant using the dial plan 011 +country code + areacode +phone number and it works the call is clear. so yeah im all set, freedompop for international calls albeit still limited, but hopefully they add more countries soon!

also checked the freedompop website and it looks like we can port a canadian number for $10. anyone tried this? if this will work, then only 1time fee of $10 and we get 200mins each month for free!
[removed]
Nov 22, 2002
538 posts
54 upvotes
Tried it, but everytime try to create account, says not available in Canada. Phone is rooted, so probably could change region, not sure if its worth it, if it screws up other things?
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7404 posts
3432 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
theshowman wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 6:52 am
Almost an off topic question. Can the Freedompop app be used without popping in the SIM? This is for getting sms or calls on the FP number once you've provided the phone number out to people.
You can grab the sip credentials for a FreedomPop account whether it's linked to a roaming global sim or not.

If you plan on using FreedomPop in a dual sim phone, grab the sip credentials of the account linked to the sim.

If you plan on putting the sip credentials in an ATA or sip phone, then spare your account linked to your sim for your trips to the US, and create a new account through the app, then grab the sip credentials of the account that isn't linked to a sim.

But since you've given out the phone number, then yes, you can do that. But when you're about to go to the US with the global sim, make sure you turn off your sip client or ATA and leave it off until you're back from your trip and signed out of the app.
ryanrudolf wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 7:09 am
also checked the freedompop website and it looks like we can port a canadian number for $10. anyone tried this? if this will work, then only 1time fee of $10 and we get 200mins each month for free!
YMMV. I heard it works, but not officially supported. Cheaper porting fee than Fongo/Freephoneline.

Btw, I agree about call quality. They have really good compression given that they optimize their voice for a roaming 3G connection.
mparsons wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:05 am
Tried it, but everytime try to create account, says not available in Canada. Phone is rooted, so probably could change region, not sure if its worth it, if it screws up other things?
Thank you for reminding me of this. I updated my post. You'll have to change your phone's language to English US. After you create the account, you can change it back to English Canada or whatever you like. The step that requires root is accessing the db SQL file of the app that contains the sip credentials.