Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 1:35 pm
Jan 29, 2005
513 posts
165 upvotes
Ok i got this sim (0.99) and set it up (0.99 to activate) and went straight to the basic plan with no upgrades.

One item to note is that the auto top up is now not removable. Instead to remove it you have to add a safety mode service plan for $6.99/month.
See https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discus ... ic-top-ups
and https://support.freedompop.com/app/feat ... er/id/2676

Seems like this has been the case for a awhile.

This basically confirms the best protection measure is a prepaid cc or some other paypal prevention mechanism etc.

EDIT: There is a still a way to turn it off - see http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/freed ... ummies.htm (autotop up section)
You basically have to signup for the safety mode service plan, disable auto-top up and then cancel the plan.
If you wait till late in your billing cycle to do this, it can be pretty cheap (the 6.99 plan is pro-rated to your billing cycle).
Last edited by edbert on Aug 28th, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
edbert wrote: Ok i got this sim (0.99) and set it up (0.99 to activate) and went straight to the basic plan with no upgrades.

One item to note is that the auto top up is now not removable. Instead to remove it you have to add a safety mode service plan for $6.99/month.
See https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discus ... ic-top-ups
and https://support.freedompop.com/app/feat ... er/id/2676

Seems like this has been the case for a awhile.

This basically confirms the only protection measure is a prepaid cc or some other paypal prevention mechanism etc.
I have an Android phone. I set a data warning limit and a data cutoff limit. I use NetGuard No-Root Firewall to block non-essential programs from accessing data. When I get the data warning limit I remove the SIM and insert another, and then set up the limits again for the new SIM. I do not have auto top-up turned off and have never gone over and therefore have never been charged extra.

Some users on HowardForums have reported that the Safety Mode Service is pro-rated each month. If you purchase it a few hours before your monthly free plan is about to reset, you can get it for a few cents. Once purchased, you can then turn off auto top-up for the next billing cycle. I have never done this so I do not know if it still works.
Last edited by AEmgee on Aug 28th, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 29, 2005
513 posts
165 upvotes
Thanks - according to http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/freed ... ummies.htm their policy has now changed to only top up if you exceed the data limit.

Based on this https://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm, it seems correct:
Automatic Top-Ups for Broadband Service
FreedomPop uses an "Automatic Top-Up" feature to ensure you are never left without broadband access when you exceed your subscribed Monthly Plan limits. The default top-up amount is $15.00. We may allow you to select a greater top-up dollar amount by using the "My Account" feature on our Site (or other feature that we may make available). In any billing month that your usage surpasses your Monthly Plan broadband data allotment limit, your FreedomPop Account will be charged the automatic top-up amount using the registered payment method associated with your FreedomPop Account. As your broadband data use exceeds the broadband data allotment of your Monthly Plan, an amount equal to your total additional usage multiplied by the additional cost per megabyte as defined by your Monthly Plan, will be deducted from your FreedomPop Account balance. When your FreedomPop Account balance falls below $2.00, your registered payment method will be charged the applicable Automatic Top-Up amount as described above. This payment will occur each time your FreedomPop Account balance falls below $2.00 to prevent an interruption in the Broadband Service we provide you. If your registered payment method is declined, we will retry charging it every two (2) days up to four (4) times, after the charge is initially declined unless you have paid the charge in full before the day on which we next retry the charge. If the balance in your FreedomPop Account runs out and you have not provided us with a new functioning payment method, your access to the Broadband Service, Value Added Services, and Other Services will be interrupted and your Broadband Service may be deemed inactive, as further described below. If you do not use your FreedomPop Account for a period of 30 days, FreedomPop may place your FreedomPop Account on inactive status. You can reactivate your FreedomPop Account by following the reactivation link at https://freedompop.com/billing_overview.htm. Any balance remaining in a FreedomPop Account on inactive status is not refundable.
That said - when I signed up, it clearly stated, when you go within 100mb of our limit, they will ding you for the top up.

I use datally, but it doesn't seem great at limiting data for foreground apps.
Strange given it's from google.

Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
edbert wrote: That said - when I signed up, it clearly stated, when you go within 100mb of our limit, they will ding you for the top up.
You're correct - it used to say that. I think the point is that It should come as no surprise that FreedomPop can and will change its terms and conditions whenever it pleases and without any prior warning! Look how quickly (and without notification) the Friends bonus went away!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Does the global SIM still work in Europe, particularly Italy?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Does the global SIM still work in Europe, particularly Italy?
One of my SIM card says it's still active but from user posts, it seems FP has done away with free data on the global sim cards.

Global 200
Data 200 MB
Additional Data US$0.025 / MB
Currently Active
US$0.00
MONTHLY*
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1767 posts
4503 upvotes
Pawtucket
Are you referring to the Friends bonus? I still have one Global sim still active and I did get the Friends bonus this month although it is now reduced to 50mb total since FP reduced the amount of data you get from Friends
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
For the global sim, over at HOFO, it seems they are still working.

I tried to befriend myself and even tried to give out 100 MB but it's says I've maxed the 500 MB friend allotment.

Tried to push 100 MB just now and it says: Alan (x 2) has reached 500 MB friend bonus limit

When I look at the data plan for the two I have, I am only seeing 200 MB and 250 MB (because someone befriended me last month). :) Not sure how I have reached the 500 MB on my two global sims when they are showing 200/250MB. :(
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1767 posts
4503 upvotes
Pawtucket
You're right, I tried to do the same and couldn't give myself any data. Not even the lowest 20mb would work. Maybe they've disabled that option. FP's free plan is almost unusable now. I've switched to their annual 1gb plan which works out to just under $4 USD per month which isn't bad.

If you have any spare Ringplus devices lying around, you may want to consider this just for kicks:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tello-u ... #p29793409

I was able to hook up an unlocked Moto G6 that I bought from Target USA. Not bad for free even if it is on Sprint's network. You could probably hook up your iphones if you still have your Sprint sim cards
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I still have my two Moto E's from Ring Plus and a stack of Sprint SIM cards lol.

Thanks again for another useful tip.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1767 posts
4503 upvotes
Pawtucket
alanbrenton wrote: I still have my two Moto E's from Ring Plus and a stack of Sprint SIM cards lol.

Thanks again for another useful tip.
Sorry, my bad but the Tello deal is expired.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
That's okay.

To distinguish the Global SIM cards, do I just pop them in and check the APN and if I see 3 three.co.uk, then their the right SIM cards?

Edit:

It seems they are the SIM cards with the blue and white FP logo in the center!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Neither of my global sim cards (showing as active) worked in Italy :(
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1767 posts
4503 upvotes
Pawtucket
yeah, I'd be skeptical of this new "company." Its just FP with a new name and the same old tricks.
Jul 27, 2003
265 posts
8 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Stay away from this when they do upgrades your services will go down. Then you have to cancel. The cancellation process is tedious and troublesome. I had original sim 3g called in to cancel they down grade lower plan left upgraded sim 3-1 LTE unchanged then billed one year later as prepayment in PayPal. $32.98 USD for service that was never active as sim was still in package. PayPal said they had prepayment setup and every month will be $32.98usd. I tried calling them but since account inactive or they cancelled first sim card no new number was transfer to LTE sim but they charge me anyway then refuse refund it since I file dispute with PayPal and BBB. After 3 phone calls and threatening PayPal to cancel my account they issue refund. But freedompop got to keep my $32.98 USD. So it took more time to dispute and headaches if you sign up this horrible company. Not worth $0.01 cause it cost me more $32.98 for not being able to use it for even a month.
Jul 27, 2003
265 posts
8 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Stay away from this when they do upgrades your services will go down. Then you have to cancel. The cancellation process is tedious and troublesome. I had original sim 3g called in to cancel they down grade lower plan left upgraded sim 3-1 LTE unchanged then billed one year later as prepayment in PayPal. $32.98 USD for service that was never active as sim was still in package. PayPal said they had prepayment setup and every month will be $32.98usd. I tried calling them but since account inactive or they cancelled first sim card no new number was transfer to LTE sim but they charge me anyway then refuse refund it since I file dispute with PayPal and BBB. After 3 phone calls and threatening PayPal to cancel my account they issue refund. But freedompop got to keep my $32.98 USD. So it took more time to dispute and headaches if you sign up this horrible company. Not worth $0.01 cause it cost me more $32.98 for not being able to use it for even a month.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Anyone actually took their offer of " upgrading" their Global sim to the US Only LTE sim? I got their " final reminder" that " Some" older sims will no longer work. I don't travel to US that often.. maybe once/twice a year. Will have to get the new sim mailed to ameri-friend again and have them send it to me in their christmas card...

Edit: Looks like they've disabled my account now. Just says "Device is shipping/processing" ... i hope they dont send anything.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
Well I'm done with the service. Just cancelled my 3 accounts. I got use out of it about 5 or 6 times over the past couple of years but some time last year my 700MB monthly data allotments were reduced to 200MB and despite having a gazillion FP friends (including myself) I couldn't get or give data despite the fact that the web site still showed these functions.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1314 posts
289 upvotes
Is anyone having trouble opening the app up here now? It gives me some garbage about contact customer service to activate, but of course the website says my plan is fine, not inactive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)