Expired Hot Deals

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 9:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1395 posts
3357 upvotes
Pawtucket

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

UPDATE JULY 11, 2018 - You will no longer earn 50mb of data per friend upto max. of 500 mb. Going forward, it will be 5mb per friend upto max. 50mb of data per month on top of the 200 free. 250mb is nowhere near enough especially if top-up is enabled as they will charge your account when you are within 100mb which effectively only give you 150mb data. This is terrible news. I didn't receive the emails yet on any of my accounts but credit kneevase for the notification.
https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... F?utm_pid=
kneevase wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:24 pm
FreedomPop
FreedomPop Update

FreedomPop has been subject to targeted abuse by users leveraging multiple accounts to aggregate additional free data. We have tried to battle the abuse by adding conditions around accounts with no data usage over several months, but unfortunately we have been forced to limit the friends sharing program.

Please note that going forward with your next billing cycle, you will earn 5MB/month per friend with a max cap of 50MB/month on earned data or shared data.

©2018 FreedomPop
1100 Glendon Avenue Ste. 700 | Los Angeles, CA 90024
January 17, 2018 - Freedompop now charges $15 to downgrade to the initial trial month plan to the free plan. This is another way for them to scam more money out of us. To get around this, see post #1495. This is something that everyone needs to be aware of before deciding to try these guys out.

Aug 30, 2017 - They removed the ability to "share" data between friends now so the max data you will get from the sims are 700mb compared to the 1.2gb.
https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... kw/friends

MORE RECENT CHANGES NOW FORCE YOU TO PAY $5 BEFORE YOU CAN DOWNGRADE TO THE FREE PLAN. THE $5 WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOU CAN USE THAT TO COVER ANY OVERAGES. IT ALSO ALLOWS YOU TO TURN OFF AUTOMATIC TOP-UPS WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ANOTHER $5.
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/07 ... ce-to.html

FP recently changed the terms to include a monthly Maintenance fee of $0.01 for inactivity so users may start to notice this. Not a huge amount but its the principal. We signed up for free service and they shouldn't start charging us without notice. Thanks to utelurtz for this. Looks like they were updated March 1, 2017.
utelurtz wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:17 pm
Found this on their Terms and Conditions:

ANYONE THAT HAS PURCHASED THE LTE SIM LATELY, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNGRADED BOTH PLANS AND SERVICES. YOU MAY STILL GET CHARGED THE FEE FOR THE PREMIUM SERVICE: Credit to Nam5588
Nam5588 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 8:42 am
***Service Alert*** to anyone who has signed up for the LTE service with FP:

There is apparently a "bug" in the system which may keep your premium service even if you thought you unsubscribed. What you need to do:

once logged into your account, paste or type the following link into the address bar (instead of just going into 'My Account' as this you should have done already) - PLS EDIT TO REMOVE THE SPACES: https : // www . freedompop . com / acct _ overview . htm

You will see your account overview. At the bottom of the screen, under 'My Services', you will likely discover this:

FreedomPop Premium Plus $7.99/mo

Click on the 'view details' link next to the text above, and, as usual, you will see at the very bottom in size 2 font: "To deactivate the FreedomPop Premium Plus service, click here"

You know what to do once you get there, right?

Even if you have disabled auto pop-up and changed your billing details to a prepaid card, once you get hit with the $8 charge, it's all over, so do the above for all your LTE accounts.

Credit goes to this website: http : // www . cranialborborygmus . com / FreedomPop-LTE-gsm-sim-review . htm # FreedomPop-Service-Downgrade-BUG

https://www.freedompop.com/offer/bfvoicesimbonus

This $0.25 deal might be expired but they have it for $0.01 (a penny) now. (Dec.26) Here's the link:
https://www.freedompop.com/offer/pennysimaffpromo

Jan 30, 2017 - The US only LTE sim running on AT&T LTE network is on sale for $1.99 now with free shipping..
https://www.freedompop.com/offer/sim-nationwide-lte-c1
Thanks to tmonies for pointing out that the price has dropped.

You will see the price of $1.99 at checkout. As always, downgrade immediately to avoid unwanted charges. This makes the deal super hot imo for AT&T LTE.

SEE POST #616 FOR SPEED COMPARISONS

See previous RFD thread:
freedompop-us-global-sim-free-monthly-t ... s-1979711/

The coverage is mostly for EU and USA. In the US you will get HSPA speeds using AT&T network. No LTE and no coverage in Canada.

Voice calls are made through the Freedompop app and is VOIP. The app is not available through the CDN Google play store but you can get it through apkpure:
https://apkpure.com/freedompop-messagin ... mpop.phone

Promo comes with intro 1GB of data so you will need to DOWNGRADE EVERYTHING (this includes both Plans and Services under the "My Account" tab) immediately to avoid future recurring charges. After downgrade, you only get 200 mins, 500 texts & 200MB per month for FREE. You can add an extra 500mb of data per month by adding Freedom Friends here:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5276432-freedompop-friends?v=1

HERE IS A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO TO DOWNGRADE EVERYTHING
http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/freed ... %20Results

You can share your data upto 100mb of data/month amongst friends so if you have multiple accounts, you can give yourself more data each month if needed.

Don't ask for "Friends" or the mods will lock the thread

You can also add 100 min/month of Global talk for Free.

See thread summary below or previous RFD thread for tips and tricks on how to order and/or get the card shipped to Canada if you're not near the border.

REMINDER TO ORDER THROUGH A CASHBACK SITE (I.E. EBATES.COM) FOR POTENTIAL EXTRA CASHBACK
pkphilip wrote:
Nov 20th, 2016 2:11 am
In the past, I can't use PayPal for any promotional sales. Maybe that's changed now..

My NTrust card has less than $5 balance but it still works with FP.

If you happened to pay $5 to opt out auto load up, the balance will expire once in a while, but you can go to the Billing section to reactive it. It seems I can do it indefinitely when it is expired.

For the ebate.com, you just need to copy and link for the sale page you want to buy, then click the ebate link, once it logged your click through and FP set the cookie, you can then paste the correct link to check out. I had success with 6 of 8 transaction with this. The other 2 transaction I had ebate credit me afterward when I uploaded the receipt and order number.
There are no annual fees or maintenance fees if you have Downgraded everything to the free plan. One of my account did experience an inactivity period after no usage for about 3 months but I was able to login to my account online and reactivate without any charge.

My recommendation would be to login to your online account once a month and that should be enough to keep your account active. Thats what I have been doing. I haven't used my FP GSM sim cards or my CDMA phones every since I started using Ringplus yet all my FP accounts are still active and have not been charged any fees.

The max. amount of data you can receive from friends per month is 500 mb. This is in addition to the 500 mb you get from adding freedom friends. I tried getting more but the system would not allow it.

I picked up my sim cards today. All sims came activated this time. Inserted sim to unlocked phone, and "Synced data" and it automatically registered within the FP Messaging app. Took a pic of the packaging in case anyone is looking to use a freight forwarding place like Mymallbox.

If you plan on using mymallbox, please see instructions:
yuprules wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:34 am

Freedom Pop keeps removing the SUITE NUMBER for the people using "U.S. mail address services". The trick is to ALWAYS put the "#SUITE XXX" in the address line (even when checking if there is "service in your area"). It will keep it the suite number. If your address is 123 Main St Suite 1234, use "123 Main Street SUITE 1234" all on 1 line and it should work.
Images
  • Coverage Map.png
  • 20161211_161539.jpg
  • Screenshot_2017-02-01-10-00-48.png
Last edited by redboy69 on Jul 11th, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Thread Summary
Just a note that if you don't use your sim's or log into your account for about a month, your account will go dormant. Its easy enough to activate again by logging into your account but you will lose your existing number and will have to select a new one. That happened to a few of my accounts (including global sim, LTE sim and a sprint phone) where I had to select a new number. There is no charge to select a new number. Not sure when this change started but its just something that everyone needs to be aware of. Be sure to check before you go down south or overseas if you have the global sim.

Here are some tips and tricks from fellow RFD'ers:
pkphilip wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 12:50 am
One email per SIM, because 2nd SIM on account cannot get bonus.

This is the complete instruction to download to 100% free. https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... ate#latest

I setup email alias for 7 SIMs so I can check all in one email.

Although you can choose to roam on AT&T or T-Mobile HSPA+, these are still 3 UK's SIM, you will have to choose the mobile operator and enter the APN manually. I have used them for more than 2 weeks in LA and Minneapolis, you will get an UK IP address so you might trigger security issues with many web services like GMail. Also because of the ISP is in UK, expect your data speed to hover around 3M down and 0.5M up.

My speed in LA was really bad that Uber and Lyft can't do a proper GPS lock and hover about 1M in the best case. In Minneapolis, I got about 3M and no issues with Uber and Lyft.

If using data in US is your primary need, maybe consider getting a FreedomPop phone or Hotspot when on sale as they offer 1GB of data for free (no world roaming) under Sprint network. Sprint is significantly faster when LTE is available comparing to the global SIM. I carry both global SIM and FreedomPop phone with me in case one works better.

For voice application, I use Google Voice and Zoiper with VoIP.ms.
gem007 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 7:24 am
Got it OP. Thanks.

Just a heads up. Once you have signed-up, you have to downgrade TWO things so that you are not charged every month:

1. Go to My Accounts> Plans and downgrade your monthly plan (otherwise you will be charged $19.99/month)
2. Go to My Accounts> Services and unsubscribe from the 'Premium plus trial' (otherwise you will be charged $7.99/month)

Step-by-Step Downgrade instructions (with screenshots)
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... ree#latest

OP, could you please add this to the original post as someone may not know what all to downgrade (I almost missed the premium plus trial part :))

Also, if I have missed downgrading anything, please let me know and add it to this thread for others.
nam_416 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 8:04 am
Even with everything downgraded, I'd recommend spend another $5 per SIM to switch your payment method to a prepaid card (you can't do it when first ordering the SIM). Having a prepaid card on file (w/ a low balance of course) instead of your credit card reduces the risk of unpleasant surprises in the future.
pkphilip wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 12:02 pm

You will have your account activated (billing cycle starts) the moment you download the FreedomPop app and sign in with the credential. There are 2 apps:
- FreedomPop Messaging Phone/SIM - Use this app when you are using the SIM as it grabs the account credentials from the SIM
- FreedomPop OTT Call and Text - Use this if you want to use the VoIP/SMS without the SIM or to keep the account active

I don't remember seeing anything about expiring, but I just sign into my account once a month to make a couple calls, texts. It's been about 7 months now and I am still OK.

If you are being offered to buy a second product after check out, DO NOT DO IT. The second item will not get any referral bonus.

Also please don't forget to use ebate.com cashback, last couple promo is $5 CB for any purchase. I profited a few bucks for the $0.99 SIM.
A reminder that things might not always work properly even though you should have coverage. I would recommend having a backup plan for cell service when overseas just in case FP doesn't pan out.
Diafel wrote:
Nov 19th, 2016 6:22 pm
This was a nightmare on my trip to Europe and I've opened a dispute with Paypal to get my money back. Didn't work in most of the countries that it said it was supposed to. Made my trip less enjoyable. Also, when trying to restore texting service, I authorized it to charge $0.01 to my Paypal and it ended up charging another $19.99 usd automatically. Terrible.
If you are having billing issues, try this:
jaswest2754 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 8:48 pm
...For your issues and everyone else who is having issues with menu options not being displayed after them sending a cancellation email out. I switched my payment option from my Amazon visa to Paypal which is my amazon visa too :P but after switched the payment option it showed me the menu options and it didn't charge me anything other then one cent to pre-authorize the paypal account. I went back into my paypal settings and disallowed automatic payments from Freedompop for an extra layer of protection on top of turning off automatic top up. However it looks like it took away my free bonus 1 GB :( , oh well it was free.
notfromqc wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 10:19 pm
...Just figured it out. I looked through the support part of the FP site, found this:
https://www.freedompop.com/billing_settings.htm

I went there, logged in and was able to edit the billing, which took me back to Paypal and authorized $0.01. Now all the menus are back.
southnam wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 11:23 am
okay... just an update for those who are interested about what went wrong with my order.. Hopefully it helps others.
Summary.
- I ordered on 2 sims on different accounts on Nov 21st using Canadian PayPal.
- I did not get a chance to downgrade service yet and the very next day got a cancellation email.
- I contacted freedompop and they said "To address your concern, we’ve received a notification from your card issuer that the FreedomPop charged were reported as Fraud. Due to this report we had to cancel the account." This didn't sit well with me because the charge went through with Paypal.
- Despite the cancellation I got notification of my sim card being shipped the next day showing delivery for end of November via fedex.
- As suggested by another user I went back in and re-entered my PayPal information and set up a new phone number. I authorized paypal again and was automatically charged $27.98 usd. Not to others, if you don't downgrade right away, any changes to your payment may result in being charged the default monthly plans and extra services. Learn from me lol..
- The next day I also got another cancellation email about this order citing fraud even though they took my money.
- I managed to get freedom pop to refund the $27.98 after a few days of emailing. Freedompop told me to take up the issue with PayPal about the "fraud"
- I called PayPal today and they said there is nothing in their system to indicate fraud and that they don't sent out emails to sellers like then I said. They said there should be no issue with Canadian PayPal sending items to US addresses, (which I already knew because I do it all the time).
- Paypal told me it was something to do with Freedompop's side not them or my credit card.

So maybe I'm just jinxed but hopefully this information helps others who may be trying to figure this out.

So now my issue is that my freedom pop card has arrived at mymallbox. I don't know if I want to pay for it to ship up to me or not because it may not work.

I may just set up a ntrust account and try ordering a new one as I do need a sim to occasionally use in the US and the free account with 200 +500 mb a month is just perfect.

For the users who got their orders "cancelled" then set up a new PayPal and phone number, did your original sim still work or did they deactivate it?

Thanks
diav wrote:
Dec 26th, 2016 7:09 pm
Wanted to post about my experience with FreedomPop:
- had ordered the global SIMs on 3 separate occasions in September and October 2016 and sent it to my MyMallBox address,
- shipped from my myMallBox address (Delaware) to Toronto within a 1.5 weeks,
- added friends on the 3 different accounts to increase bandwidth,
- finally got to try the SIMS on a short trip to the U.S. (Dec 25-26, 2016),
- setup with an Android phone (OnePlus 3 running Oxygen OS 3.2.7, rooted) took a bit of fiddling since I had to manually change the APN settings (it defaulted to three.co.uk, so I changed it to freedompop.foggmobile.com as per the instructions here: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... 170/kw/apn
- setup with an iPhone 5S Plus (running iOS 8.4.1) took a bit of messing around because it didn't install the profile by default when I inserted the SIM card... what I ended up doing was creating a hotspot with my Android phone, opened the FreedomPop iOS app and clicked on the sidebar option to generate the APN profile, entered the correct info and then was able to install the profile without issue. I just got home and there's actually instructions to go to this webpage for generating the profile (but pick Global SIM instead of GSM): https://support.freedompop.com/app/answ ... /related/1
- setup with an iPhone 7 Plus (running iOS 10.2) was easy -- profile was installed without issues after inserting the sim...

After setting up, all 3 sims worked without issues. Obviously there are some areas where the connection is spotty (was using along the I-90 and could only get a 2G connection), but in Syracuse, NY and Verona, NY, no issues came up. I monitored data usage by logging into the website and with the respective Android/iOS app.

Overall, I think it was a good experience. Pretty easy to set up and use.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

You can disable the Auto-Top-Up feature by going to "Billing"--->Billing Setting--->Edit Automatic Top-Up. It will cost you $5.00 to disable but will prevent the auto-top-up if you are within 100MB of your limit.
Terms:
FreedomPop uses an 'Automatic Top-Up' feature to ensure you are never left without broadband access when you exceed your subscribed Monthly Plan limits. The default top-up amount is $15.00. We may allow you to select a greater top-up dollar amount by using the My Account feature on our Site (or other feature that we may make available). In any billing month that your usage is within 100mb of your Monthly Plan broadband data allotment limit, your FreedomPop Account will be charged the automatic top-up amount using the registered payment method associated with your FreedomPop Account. As your broadband data use exceeds the broadband data allotment of your Monthly Plan, an amount equal to your total additional usage multiplied by the additional cost per megabyte as defined by your Monthly Plan, will be deducted from your FreedomPop Credit Account balance. When your FreedomPop Credit Account balance falls below $2.00, your registered payment method will be charged the applicable Automatic Top-Up amount as described above. This payment will occur each time your FreedomPop Account balance falls below $2.00 to prevent an interruption in the Broadband Service we provide you. If your registered payment method is declined, we will retry charging it every 2 days up to 4 times, after the charge is initially declined unless you have paid the charge in full before the day on which we next retry the charge. If the balance in your FreedomPop Account runs out and you have not provided us with a new functioning payment method, your access to the Broadband Service and Value Added Services will be suspended and your Broadband Service will be deemed inactive, as further described below. If you do not use your Account Credit for a period of 30 days, FreedomPop will place your Account Credit on inactive status. You can reactivate the Account Credit by following the reactivation link at https://freedompop.com/billing_overview.htm Account Credit on inactive status is not refundable

pkphilip wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 1:39 pm
Global SIM is a roaming SIM, you have to turn on Data Roaming on your phone, you also need to setup "freedompop.foggmobile.com" APN.

If you want to make calls or text, you still have to use the FreedomPop app.

The Global 100 plan is available in your account page under My Account -> International.
nutN2Lewz wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 6:28 pm
FreedomPop Email Preferences

Edit your email preferences in the 'My Account | Account Settings | Email Preferences' section of each FP account.

Friend Requests: Yes
Special Promotions: No
Service Notifications: Yes
Third-Party Offers: No

I opt out of 'Special Promotions' and 'Third-Party Offers'. I figure I do not need to know about FP 'Special Promotions" because I will read about those special promotions here or at other sites. I opt out of 'Third-Party Offers' because I don't want spam emails about non-FreedomPop offers.

'Friend Requests' are requests you get from others to be a "Freedom Friend". I have no problem with that and, being the unpopular guy that I am, I never get requests because I never give out my FP email address to anyone. FreedomPop is like my sex life - I only "friend" myself.

'Service Notifications' are email notices that the FP service is not working for some reason - I have only received one email about that in several months.
APN
Global sim apn is freedompop.foggmobile.com
LTE apn is fp.com.attz
1597 replies
Dec 9, 2007
974 posts
387 upvotes
Also the T-Mobile network... I use this when I go to Europe & USA.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2876 posts
554 upvotes
If they ever get mexico and those asian countries listed.. it'll be pretty awesome. Looking forward to using it when I go down to the states next month
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5378 posts
979 upvotes
coilz wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 11:40 pm
If they ever get mexico and those asian countries listed.. it'll be pretty awesome. Looking forward to using it when I go down to the states next month
It's available now but some Mexicans have complained it's not valid in their area. I'll find out if it works in 2 weeks.

http://www.freedompop.com/Mexico
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4679 posts
1074 upvotes
Vancouver
so u can only order 1 SIM.So once you sign up ;u just downgrade to the free plan before the 30days is up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1395 posts
3357 upvotes
Pawtucket
hesp wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 12:30 am
so u can only order 1 SIM.So once you sign up ;u just downgrade to the free plan before the 30days is up?
I'd recommend one order per email address so that you can add "Friends" to each account and accumulate the 700mb each. You can downgrade right before the trial period is up but I usually do it right away.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4679 posts
1074 upvotes
Vancouver
redboy69 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 12:41 am
I'd recommend one order per email address so that you can add "Friends" to each account and accumulate the 700mb each. You can downgrade right before the trial period is up but I usually do it right away.
Thanks.So I just signed up for mymailbox. I can use my CAN credit card in the billing information on the freedompop along with the mymailbox address
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2322 posts
1246 upvotes
GVRD
One email per SIM, because 2nd SIM on account cannot get bonus.

This is the complete instruction to download to 100% free. https://forums.freedompop.com/discussio ... ate#latest

I setup email alias for 7 SIMs so I can check all in one email.

Although you can choose to roam on AT&T or T-Mobile HSPA+, these are still 3 UK's SIM, you will have to choose the mobile operator and enter the APN manually. I have used them for more than 2 weeks in LA and Minneapolis, you will get an UK IP address so you might trigger security issues with many web services like GMail. Also because of the ISP is in UK, expect your data speed to hover around 3M down and 0.5M up.

My speed in LA was really bad that Uber and Lyft can't do a proper GPS lock and hover about 1M in the best case. In Minneapolis, I got about 3M and no issues with Uber and Lyft.

If using data in US is your primary need, maybe consider getting a FreedomPop phone or Hotspot when on sale as they offer 1GB of data for free (no world roaming) under Sprint network. Sprint is significantly faster when LTE is available comparing to the global SIM. I carry both global SIM and FreedomPop phone with me in case one works better.

For voice application, I use Google Voice and Zoiper with VoIP.ms.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1196 posts
271 upvotes
Edmonton
After i made the purchase, it gave me a bonus offer of another sim card for additional 1cent. Did you ppl get that?
Apr 21, 2012
27 posts
14 upvotes
West Kelowna
What's the best way to get this delivered to BC?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1196 posts
271 upvotes
Edmonton
nsimon wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 1:57 am
What's the best way to get this delivered to BC?
use https://www.mymallbox.com/

it is the best and cheapest. i signed up through a referral and gave me $5, which would be enough to cover the shipping for the sim card
Last edited by acekiller on Nov 18th, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2617 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
acekiller wrote:
Nov 18th, 2016 2:07 am
use mymailbox.com
Isn't that only for email? And nothing to do with delivery or postal mail.
Aug 19, 2015
21 posts
44 upvotes
Macdonald, MB
Got it OP. Thanks.

Just a heads up. Once you have signed-up, you have to downgrade TWO things so that you are not charged every month:

1. Go to My Accounts> Plans and downgrade your monthly plan (otherwise you will be charged $19.99/month)
2. Go to My Accounts> Services and unsubscribe from the 'Premium plus trial' (otherwise you will be charged $7.99/month)

OP, could you please add this to the original post as someone may not know what all to downgrade (I almost missed the premium plus trial part :))

Also, if I have missed downgrading anything, please let me know and add it to this thread for others.
Dec 22, 2008
105 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Even with everything downgraded, I'd recommend spend another $5 per SIM to switch your payment method to a prepaid card (you can't do it when first ordering the SIM). Having a prepaid card on file (w/ a low balance of course) instead of your credit card reduces the risk of unpleasant surprises in the future.