Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Freedompop US] US Only Sim with Free Talk/Text/Data - US only LTE GSM SIM - $0.99 - BEWARE OF MONTHLY $.01 MAINT. FEE

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 1:35 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
If I don't care about calling/VM, all I do is set APN, if not already set, once I pop in the SIM card?

Global sim apn is freedompop.foggmobile.com
LTE apn is fp.com.attz

First time going to the States with no R+ or Roam Mobility but two Global SIMs and picking up five (should not have purchased the 200 MB SIMS but what the heck).
Apr 4, 2008
173 posts
67 upvotes
Windsor
marklin wrote: lol someone sent me a free sim!! Just received a notification from MyMallBox for which I never ordered. Check your suite number and make sure it's not Suite B4761!!

You might have ordered that free or 1 cent sim when you placed an order. I hear FP was really messing up those free sim offers. They might have sent it separately and later.
Apr 4, 2008
173 posts
67 upvotes
Windsor
alanbrenton wrote: If I don't care about calling/VM, all I do is set APN, if not already set, once I pop in the SIM card?

Yes. The APN is written on the packaging you get with the card. You also have to set roaming on for the Global sim. It's all written on the packaging.
Feb 9, 2017
235 posts
260 upvotes
pkphilip wrote: 100MB (exclude 100MB buffer) from your free plan + 500MB from freedom friends + another 500MB shared data, that's almost 1.1GB of usable data. That's why you order multiple of them and alternate data + use a prepaid card to prevent them from charging you.
I know people that have 30+ SIM cards (1 for each day). I'm currently at 20 now.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1147 posts
389 upvotes
Kitchener
Hi everybody!

I just found out about Freedopmop and really want to get one SIM.

It's hard to go through all 66 pages so I'd like to ask quick question:

may I use my Canadian Amazon.ca VISA to order SIM? And get it shipped to US hotel I'll be staying for week?

The SIM will not get activated automatically, right? I need to login and activate it?

Thanks in advance!!!
Слава Україні!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
AShenCA wrote: I know people that have 30+ SIM cards (1 for each day). I'm currently at 20 now.
The only time I had 30+ SIM cards was when I was doing Virgin Mobile's Starbucks offer ($10 for $15). I had to label them 1 to 30 or so.

That is hard core. Unless I have a place to stay at in the US, I wouldn't even want to be staying there for too long because hotel costs can add up. Or course if I move there, I may need 365 SIM cards so I can save on internet costs.
Feb 9, 2017
235 posts
260 upvotes
Zhopa wrote: Hi everybody!

I just found out about Freedopmop and really want to get one SIM.

It's hard to go through all 66 pages so I'd like to ask quick question:

may I use my Canadian Amazon.ca VISA to order SIM? And get it shipped to US hotel I'll be staying for week?

The SIM will not get activated automatically, right? I need to login and activate it?

Thanks in advance!!!
Canadian Visa = Yes
Shipped to a Hotel = Ask your hotel, but yes.
SIM will get activated right when it's ordered/shipped.
Feb 9, 2017
235 posts
260 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: The only time I had 30+ SIM cards was when I was doing Virgin Mobile's Starbucks offer ($10 for $15). I had to label them 1 to 30 or so.

That is hard core. Unless I have a place to stay at in the US, I wouldn't even want to be staying there for too long because hotel costs can add up. Or course if I move there, I may need 365 SIM cards so I can save on internet costs.
Well the data resets so you don't need 365 SIM cards, just get 30+. Those people live in the US. I go to the US periodically because it's a short drive from where I live. Benefits of living by the border.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
AShenCA wrote: Well the data resets so you don't need 365 SIM cards, just get 30+. Those people live in the US. I go to the US periodically because it's a short drive from where I live. Benefits of living by the border.
Are you in Richmond/Vancouver?

Mine is an hour's drive. Don't forget the $25 of $100 Bestbuy.com offer. :)
Feb 9, 2017
235 posts
260 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Are you in Richmond/Vancouver?

Mine is an hour's drive. Don't forget the $25 of $100 Bestbuy.com offer. :)
Metro Vancouver. Ive gotten a lot of deals at bestbuy.com. I even have a few US credit cards.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
AShenCA wrote: Metro Vancouver. Ive gotten a lot of deals at bestbuy.com. I even have a few US credit cards.
I make money in Canadian so I prefer to just pay with Amazon Visa or Rogers MC. I know there's Norbert's Gambit for those who have investment accounts but it's almost a wash with the cash back being offered by these cards.

okay, here's the link to that offer:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... #p27475364
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
So, first of all the second SIM for a penny is pretty much a waste since the second SIM can't profit from the friends benefit nor, apparently from data sharing either.

In any case yesterday I went and collected my new US SIMs (I already had a global SIM) and stuck into my Android phone - set the APN and all works well.

When I got back I checked and the app can both make and receive calls via WiFi and they don't seem to geolocate the way Rogers does. Not that it's a huge issue. And in any case I have a Fongo number AND a TextNow number of my phone, both also located in Montreal.

However the ability to assign a Canadian phone number to the Freedompop account is handy if you don't want to be running multiple apps - You can simply forward your Canadian cellphone to your Freedompop number and there are no issues with long distance charges and such.

Don't forget to activate the free 100 minute international calling plan so you can phone back to Canada without incurring charges

Of course with TextNow you can make calls to any Canadian or US number without any restrictions

I wonder which of the various apps is the best in terms of quality and data usage?

The question now is whether it is worth getting a bunch of extra SIMs solely for data sharing? Or do the anonymous 'friends' on my account generally agree to offer their data in response to a request?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4239 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
If I only need a few Gigs of data when travelling to US for 5 days (and not care about future free 200mb monthly data), can I not do the downgrade and just pay the initial purchase price? (just pop in the sim and use)
As far as I know it's free 1gb promo upon purchase right?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: If I only need a few Gigs of data when travelling to US for 5 days (and not care about future free 200mb monthly data), can I not do the downgrade and just pay the initial purchase price? (just pop in the sim and use)
As far as I know it's free 1gb promo upon purchase right?
Yes, you get 1 GB free in the first month but remember the cycle starts as soon as it ships so plan accordingly.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4239 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
dealseeker wrote: Yes, you get 1 GB free in the first month but remember the cycle starts as soon as it ships so plan accordingly.
Thanks very much for the confirmation. After that 1gb, do I have to do anything to stop future charges? or can I just cut the sim and call it a day?
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
Once you hit 600MB, and on Paypal billing agreement that is cancelled

Does data stop working? (good case) or does your SIM get cancelled? (bad case)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: So, first of all the second SIM for a penny is pretty much a waste since the second SIM can't profit from the friends benefit nor, apparently from data sharing either.
I am not sure if that's the case. I have two global sims on the same email account and both of them ended up having 700mb data. I've used both sims before Christmas in Boston so I can verify both took data from a different pool of 700mb. Although initially it showed 700mb for one and 200mb for the other when I first signed up, sometime in end of november / early december it changed to 700mb for both which surprised me. Any one else experience this?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
SuckaB wrote: Thanks very much for the confirmation. After that 1gb, do I have to do anything to stop future charges? or can I just cut the sim and call it a day?
Actually, you need to stop using the account at 900 megs, since they charge a topup when you get within 100 megs of your limit.

Go online and get 10 friends and you'll move that number from 1 gig to 1.5 . . . . . and in subsequent months you'll have 700 megs available. So why cut up the SIM at all?

But don't forget to downgrade the plan or else you'll probably find it was cheaper to simply pay the $25 to Rogers for Roam Like Home for those 5 days. Also you can't call back to Canada without a charge unless you sign up for 100 minutes of international calling, though you can always use Fongo or TextNow for your phone calls and avoid that issue altogether
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1534 posts
415 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: Thanks very much for the confirmation. After that 1gb, do I have to do anything to stop future charges? or can I just cut the sim and call it a day?
Cutting up the sim won't close your account but why would you do that anyway? You can still get 700mb free every month (200mb+friends). Just downgrade everything as mentioned in the thread, cancel future payment authorizations/use a prepaid card and you won't see any future charges.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1147 posts
389 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks!

Next question :)

What's the best way to protect myself from future charges - move payment method to PayPal that is not assossiated with credit card? Or there is another way?

I know about downgrading everything but would like to get extra protection from charges :)

Thanks again!
AShenCA wrote: Canadian Visa = Yes
Shipped to a Hotel = Ask your hotel, but yes.
SIM will get activated right when it's ordered/shipped.
Слава Україні!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)