• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2017 2:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2167 posts
394 upvotes
This may be a long shot in resurrecting a post from 8 years ago - but my situation is very similar to the OPs. Contrary to the advice here, I've heard that you do need to register for a business name. Is this something that has been changed over the past years? Or am I wrong?
Jul 8, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
your best bet is to route everything through your personal taxes for now (i.e. run revenue/ expenses through your personal income, however little that is right now). Most gov't assistance will provide support to the right project, and person that's established, not an incorporated part time free lancer. Your best bet to get involved in gov't support is to route your applications through the charities that you are provide free work, or low cost work to. The charities are established organizations and it looks better when you are behind a reputable establishment.
build out your portfolio and a few projects on your resume, then you can think about incorporation.

as another note, incorporate results in annual files, and registration costs. probably amounts to $100 - $1000 per annum, depending on the amount of time you put in lieu of accountants. so, yah, incorporate only after you carefully talk to a physical persona with experience.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3989 posts
831 upvotes
Halifax
on a high level you do not need to register a business name

i do recommend incorporating though.