Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

[OP]
Apr 17, 2004
315 posts
88 upvotes

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

I have found this pretty amazing, especially for their life time free phone line and long distance deal. If you need to attach a VOIP ATA device then you need to purchase their configuration file for a one time fee of $50.

http://freephoneline.ca/

Features:

Free Phone Number
Free Caller ID
Free Voice mail
Free Call Forwarding
Free Long Distance to most Canadian Cities

Have been using this for more than two years now, and personally speaking, works like a charm and found no difference between Bell voice quality and FPL as long as you use G711u codec.
6302 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
1355 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Wow... where have you been? -- REPOST --

This site/service has been discussed many times here on RFD. Please search before you post.

BTW, great service. I've had it for almost the last year and a half. Paid my $50 for the ATA adapter file very early on and the service is still running with way less hiccups then when I first signed up.

Still, search before you post.
Nov 1, 2003
781 posts
95 upvotes
Thanks for the post :) I think it has been posted a few times before but its worth bringing is back up :)

I have paid the $50 about 2 years ago, still works good :)
Salesperson
[OP]
Apr 17, 2004
315 posts
88 upvotes
Azenha wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 4:39 pm
Wow... where have you been? -- REPOST --

This site/service has been discussed many times here on RFD. Please search before you post.

BTW, great service. I've had it for almost the last year and a half. Paid my $50 for the ATA adapter file very early on and the service is still running with way less hiccups then when I first signed up.

Still, search before you post.
Sorry for the REPOST. However, when I saw the deal I was too excited and thought to let fellow RFD members know about it too !
I am sure that many RFD members will benefit from this even if this is a REPOSt.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2362 posts
352 upvotes
Hamilton
napoleon1769 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 4:44 pm
I would rather have a real phone line just in case. It's not that much anyways.
its time to let the "real" phone line go. it might not be much, but it probably has next to no features and still costs more than voip.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
1355 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
imran909 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 4:50 pm
Sorry for the REPOST. However, when I saw the deal I was too excited and thought to let fellow RFD members know about it too !
I am sure that many RFD members will benefit from this even if this is a REPOSt.
Hey... nothing to be sorry about. As another member said, it's always nice to get a refresh. In the future just do a search and post a reply to the original message and that will push it back up to the top of thread chain.

Nonetheless, it's a great service. The only downfall is that you'll be unable to call most rural communities. You can only make calls to major Canadian cities. For example, I can't call Peterborough since it's not a major city. I get the "your call is not part of the service plan" message (or something like that).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 4:44 pm
I would rather have a real phone line just in case. It's not that much anyways.
Oh yaa? Why don't you pay for my Bell phone then? :lol:
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1519 posts
49 upvotes
ON
Azenha wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 5:00 pm
The only downfall is that you'll be unable to call most rural communities. You can only make calls to major Canadian cities. For example, I can't call Peterborough since it's not a major city. I get the "your call is not part of the service plan" message (or something like that).
Freephoneline has Unlimited Calling to Anywhere in Canada for $3.95/mth.

Alternatively, you may register with one of the numerous Betamax Voip clones (internetcalls, 12voip, voipcheap) which will allow free* calls in the the US, Canada and many other countries around the globe. You will need to change the dial plan and add the new VoIP provider to the existing FPL in your ATA.

*10 EUR/120 days
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15531 posts
971 upvotes
xenocidic wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 4:49 pm
I wonder how this company stays in business?
They charge for LD to Canadian cities where they don't offer the free voip service (they only offer it in select cities) as well as charging for LD to the US and overseas. It's owned by the same parent as 295.ca internet which has been around since the '90s so they have experience on now to operate a low cost service and stay in business. I have it and use the softphone app and it's been fine for me.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wegmans- ... #p27788812
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5434 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
murdoc2k wrote:
Dec 1st, 2009 9:37 pm
I'm just curious here, what happens to your voip during a black out?
It's out, but who are you going to call anyway? If you call someone's cellphone, you probably have one too. The fact of the matter is, the networks will be overloaded, so your calls will never terminate anyway. This scenario is not something you should worry about.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3131 posts
588 upvotes
Quality is iffy, reliability is not perfect (then again no VOIP product is). If you have a burglar alarm you should have a wired phone line - and if you have DSL you're already contributing 8 or so dollars each month toward the copper, so you might as well just get a phone line.