Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

May 29, 2009
43 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill
Just be cautious when providing a phone number to FPL.
I recently created an account in FPL for receiving in-coming fax. It requires my home address and a contact phone number to setup the account. The phone number cannot be a Dell Voice or FPL number, so I fill in my cell number. Since then, I receive calls from 866-515-5550 at least once a day. For the first few times, I did not pick up the call because it is 1-866-xxxx. Last week, it left a recording of 7 minutes music in my voice mail. I called the 1-866 number and realized that it is from FPL. I then changed my contact number in FPL to a land line number that is no longer in service. Today, 866-515-5550 called my cell again. I answered the call to find out what it is all about. The caller speaks with an accent that is annoying to continue the conversation. I ended the call after 3-4 min. But I was charged 7 minutes (it is OK, but it just seems odd that it is exactly the same duration as the music in my voice mail).
I read the signup terms and conditions again. I cannot locate a clause regarding FPL calling the customer for whatever purpose.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
wonghouse wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 6:33 pm
Just be cautious when providing a phone number to FPL.
I recently created an account in FPL for receiving in-coming fax. It requires my home address and a contact phone number to setup the account. The phone number cannot be a Dell Voice or FPL number, so I fill in my cell number. Since then, I receive calls from 866-515-5550 at least once a day. For the first few times, I did not pick up the call because it is 1-866-xxxx. Last week, it left a recording of 7 minutes music in my voice mail. I called the 1-866 number and realized that it is from FPL. I then changed my contact number in FPL to a land line number that is no longer in service. Today, 866-515-5550 called my cell again. I answered the call to find out what it is all about. The caller speaks with an accent that is annoying to continue the conversation. I ended the call after 3-4 min. But I was charged 7 minutes (it is OK, but it just seems odd that it is exactly the same duration as the music in my voice mail).
I read the signup terms and conditions again. I cannot locate a clause regarding FPL calling the customer for whatever purpose.
When I signed up, the only reason they called me was to verify the address for emergency/911 purposes. After I returned their call and verified everything, I have never heard from them again. It was very simple for me.

What was discussed during your 3-4 minute conversation?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8174 posts
1930 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sillysimms wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 7:27 pm
When I signed up, the only reason they called me was to verify the address for emergency/911 purposes. After I returned their call and verified everything, I have never heard from them again. It was very simple for me.
Ditto here. I thought it was unusual that they'd call to confirm what I'd told them in my enrolment form. After all if I gave them a fake address and 911 couldn't find me in an emergency how could they possibly be liable? But nevertheless I was grateful that they cared enough about my safety in an emergency to call. What other carrier does that?

So Image to FPL.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 24, 2007
455 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
I just came back from Canada Computers and got an open box Cisco SPA122 for $61 all in. The SPA112 was sold out. The condition still looks new. I was wondering if this was a good deal for an ATA + router.

Also, I already have a router (DIR-615) so would it be better for me to remove it and just use the SPA122 built in router or is it better to connect this to my current router?
Dec 28, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
d0rksterr wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 9:36 pm

Also, I already have a router (DIR-615) so would it be better for me to remove it and just use the SPA122 built in router or is it better to connect this to my current router?
if you need wireless or want more than one computer hooked upto the net you need to use your old router.

The dir-615 is not very VoIP friendly and it's in your best interest to flash it with ddwrt.
Jan 24, 2007
455 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Red89GT wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 9:29 am
if you need wireless or want more than one computer hooked upto the net you need to use your old router.

The dir-615 is not very VoIP friendly and it's in your best interest to flash it with ddwrt.
If I have already flashed it with ddwrt, is the router then suitable for voip?
Dec 28, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
d0rksterr wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 12:21 pm
If I have already flashed it with ddwrt, is the router then suitable for voip?
It will be perfect
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3014 posts
537 upvotes
You reflashed it, but what's this 'not VoIP friendly' stuff? VoIP is IP traffic, plain and simple. If you have adequate bandwidth available it will work. Period. I have 3 VoIP lines and everything else here running through a DI-524 - that`s as plain vanilla as they get and it works just fine.
Dec 28, 2004
98 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
fredsmith wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 11:43 pm
You reflashed it, but what's this 'not VoIP friendly' stuff? VoIP is IP traffic, plain and simple. If you have adequate bandwidth available it will work. Period. I have 3 VoIP lines and everything else here running through a DI-524 - that`s as plain vanilla as they get and it works just fine.
The stock dir-615 firmware just doesn't play nice with VoIP traffic. You can make it work but it's a lot easier tO just flash it with an open source firmware and avoid any hiccups.
Nov 2, 2011
671 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
wait so, fpl is charging 5 bucks a month now? i switched from rogers to primus for the time being. theyre charging 10 bucks for 3 months. i have to figure all this out before then lol
May 17, 2012
53 posts
3 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
ilapastel wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 3:25 am
wait so, fpl is charging 5 bucks a month now? i switched from rogers to primus for the time being. theyre charging 10 bucks for 3 months. i have to figure all this out before then lol
FPL is free once you paid the $50 file . Fongo is $5 month + the $50 file.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2014 posts
238 upvotes
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot an issue with freephoneline.

I paid for the configuration file and I'm using it with my ATA but there is a constant static/hissing background noise that is bothersome.

I'm using an older unlocked vonage linksys pap2 but I don't think that is the problem because I also switched over to my backup unit which is an unlocked vonage d-link vta and it still gives the static. My router is a linksys wrt160n running ddwrt. My Internet connection is teksavvy standard cable. Any ideas? Is it possible to remove that noise? Some searches I've done seem to indicate that it is put there on purpose.
Nov 2, 2011
671 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Ritchie3 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 3:58 am
FPL is free once you paid the $50 file . Fongo is $5 month + the $50 file.
thanks for the clear up. but why would you use fongo if fpl is cheaper? is the quality better on fongo? also, cant i just use a friend file, im sure its all the same..
May 9, 2003
919 posts
154 upvotes
ilapastel wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 6:52 pm
thanks for the clear up. but why would you use fongo if fpl is cheaper? is the quality better on fongo? also, cant i just use a friend file, im sure its all the same..
No, you can't use someone elses file, the login and password is unique to you.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1377 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
ilapastel wrote:
Aug 18th, 2012 6:52 pm
because you might already be using a certain number that is connected to FPL or Fongo (dellvoice) , so you don't have a choice :P
× < >