Computers & Electronics

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:01 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1980 posts
322 upvotes
Does Fongo free app with free 647 phone number work flawlessly for anyone? I've been using it for years with roughly 30-50% reliability in terms of signal , voice , app functionality (dialing , hanging up, etc.)

I am not complaining just trying to understand if it's just me ...

this is across 2 android devices by the way ... both modern
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
grilw wrote: Does Fongo free app with free 647 phone number work flawlessly for anyone? I've been using it for years with roughly 30-50% reliability in terms of signal , voice , app functionality (dialing , hanging up, etc.)

I am not complaining just trying to understand if it's just me ...

this is across 2 android devices by the way ... both modern
I've experimented with Fongo on Android and iOS over the years and achieved similar, maybe a bit better, results for voice. I only use it to receive faxes while mobile. Been very handy for that re: medical stuff.
I have my FPL home phone on OBI ring my cell with Groundwire app = flawless
May 17, 2004
221 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
eclipsemyl wrote: Hi all, apologies if this is answered, but my frephoneline incoming calls often disconnect at 32 seconds.

I'm using Groundwire on my Android phone and have disabled SIP ALG on my router. In fact, I've also noticed that my calls will disconnect even when I'm using my LTE data. Can someone please tell me if there's a setting that will fix this issue?
Anyone else using Groundwire for the FPL line? I'm still having the call dropping incoming calls at 32 seconds. Happens on both wifi and LTE data. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24148 posts
43041 upvotes
ONTARIO
Are OBI devices still what most people use these days? Been using an Obi100 since 2014 and while it still works relatively fine, there's been an issue now and again where despite everything seemingly fine, calls won't connect properly. A quick reboot immediately fixes the issue, but I am thinking about finally upgrading to something else.
Apr 22, 2015
280 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BobSagget wrote: Are OBI devices still what most people use these days? Been using an Obi100 since 2014 and while it still works relatively fine, there's been an issue now and again where despite everything seemingly fine, calls won't connect properly. A quick reboot immediately fixes the issue, but I am thinking about finally upgrading to something else.
Not sure about most people but I am using an Obi200
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4072 posts
1959 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote: Are OBI devices still what most people use these days? Been using an Obi100 since 2014 and while it still works relatively fine, there's been an issue now and again where despite everything seemingly fine, calls won't connect properly. A quick reboot immediately fixes the issue, but I am thinking about finally upgrading to something else.
Had the same issue with my obi200 the last few days. I have had fpl for over 6 yrs
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5195 posts
2474 upvotes
Vancity
AsianXL wrote: I'm using a PAP2T still from ages ago. I need a reason to upgrade.
If it's not broken, don't fix it. I replaced my pap2t due to its power supply died. The obi is probably more energy efficient also.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2300 posts
947 upvotes
Wow they just keep raising the price on the unlock key to $100 now.
Apr 22, 2015
280 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
That is why for those sitting on the fence to bite the bullet now
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18642 posts
5669 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote: Wow they just keep raising the price on the unlock key to $100 now.
Damn i an thinking to move my another numver over
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18642 posts
5669 upvotes
does anyone know how many FPL number can I have per account? i already have one...wondering if i can register another one...thinking to move my parents existing number over..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5195 posts
2474 upvotes
Vancity
kiasu wrote: does anyone know how many FPL number can I have per account? i already have one...wondering if i can register another one...thinking to move my parents existing number over..
I moved my parent's over a few years ago. Just create a new account with a parent's name, with you as the contact.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1258 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: I paid $50 back in 2011, but it's still a good deal at $100, considering a basic phone line cost $40/month with Telus and Shaw these days.
You should compare against the alternatives, e.g. FPL, voip.ms or other VoIP providers.

I'm moving my parents to voip.ms. Porting costs half as much as FPL. Will be US$0.85/month for the line, US$1.50/month for 9-1-1 (not free on FPL), half a cent per minute for incoming calls and free outgoing calls to North America via Google Voice. FPL's LD rates are close to double Voip.ms' for destinations that we call. But that's the expensive way. Cheaper if I went with Anveo et al.

And I don't have to worry about the inevitable email from FPL that they're cancelling their pay-once-get-forever service. Dealt with that too many times in life. Fine if that works for you though.
Jan 31, 2013
43 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria
Anyone know of a way to have CallFollowing? or Call Hunting? Essentially wanting my cell voip software to ring the same time as my grandstream voip box.. I have done this successfully with voip.ms but I have a line on freephoneline that I'd like to have similar functionality..
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
wealthdesigners wrote: Anyone know of a way to have CallFollowing? or Call Hunting? Essentially wanting my cell voip software to ring the same time as my grandstream voip box.. I have done this successfully with voip.ms but I have a line on freephoneline that I'd like to have similar functionality..
I'm pretty sure freephoneline stipulates only one end point can be active at a time. I tested it in the past and it was true. That's all you get for free.
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
wealthdesigners wrote: Anyone know of a way to have CallFollowing? or Call Hunting? Essentially wanting my cell voip software to ring the same time as my grandstream voip box.. I have done this successfully with voip.ms but I have a line on freephoneline that I'd like to have similar functionality..
You can install the Fongo Mobile smartphone application, and then insert the Fongo Mobile number in Freephoneline's Follow Me settings.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Follow-Me-
Last edited by Dahlya on Oct 16th, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
HammerRFDer wrote: You should compare against the alternatives, e.g. FPL, voip.ms or other VoIP providers.

I'm moving my parents to voip.ms. Porting costs half as much as FPL. Will be US$0.85/month for the line, US$1.50/month for 9-1-1 (not free on FPL)
It’s just a threat against testing 911. No one has posted evidence of being charged a 911 fee so far.

As for LD fees, a bunch of us using Obihai ATAs are using multiple service providers.

And I don't have to worry about the inevitable email from FPL that they're cancelling their pay-once-get-forever service. Dealt with that too many times in life. Fine if that works for you though.
People have been making the same claim for over a decade. And yet Fibernetics, the parent company, is still around, and VoIP.ms uses Fibernetics as a carrier.

When it was $50, Freephonline was an incredible bargain.
Last edited by Dahlya on Oct 15th, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)