Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Aug 11, 2011
252 posts
43 upvotes
Montreal
Hello friends!

Just recently got my first voicemail and unfortunately I haven't been able to access it. A little bit of googling showed that *98 should allow me to access VM from the softphone using the VOIP key but that doesn't work (just hear a harsh tone for ~ 30 seconds before it disconnects). I tried modifying some settings in the OBIHAI system management based on a post on the obihai forums. That hasn't worked for me either ( the poster suggested disabling auto provisioning and then modifying the digimap for SP1 but the change reverts back to default after reebooting the obihai). I was finally able to access my VM using the regional code but that took forever and is most definitely not convenient - especially for the wife.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
myst88 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 6:19 pm
That hasn't worked for me either ( the poster suggested disabling auto provisioning and then modifying the digimap for SP1 but the change reverts back to default after reebooting the obihai).

It's not auto provisioning that you need to disable. It's Obitalk provisioning.

How do I stop Obihai from updating firmware without my permission and stop using Obitalk.com?

If you don't disable Obitalk Service (in addition to other settings), Obihai can remotely upgrade firmware on your device without your permission, in the middle of a storm with power flickering, while you're out somewhere. If the power goes out in the middle of a firmware upgrade, you run the risk of wrecking your ATA. Do you want a bricked device? I don't. A UPS might be a good idea, by the way (http://www.newegg.ca/UPS/SubCategory/ID-72. Doesn't have to be from Newegg. Tons of places sell them).

If firmware can be upgraded remotely, Obihai has access to your ATA and can make changes. That's fine if you need technical support. It's not fine if you're into privacy.

After 1 year is up, in order to continue using Obitalk.com to upgrade firmware, you'll need to pay a $10 USD annual fee. However, you don't need to pay if you upgrade firmware manually. Best to learn now how to do it manually, unless, of course, you like paying annual fees.

There's two ways to update firmware for free even if the ATA is out of warranty:

A. Dialing ***6 (and then pressing "1" if an update is available)

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiProvisioningGuide.pdf (page 15)

This is a faster method than using the Obitalk web portal since you don't have to log into anything.
If no update is found for you, you'll have to do step B.

B. Manually updating firmware via the device:
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf (page 43)

Also found after visiting http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads and clicking on "OBi Device Firmware"

New firmware releases offer new options that sometimes aren't quickly added to the web portal. Consequently, imo, it's best to stop relying on the web portal. You can (and, imo, should) use the Obitalk.com portal for initial setup (and keep in mind that you must use the web portal to activate Google Voice on your ATA), but eventually, people should learn to stop using it, in my opinion--unless, of course, you want to use OBiExtras ($4.99/month USD service). I don't.

To ensure Obihai and a ITSP provider can't, without your permission, update your device's firmware remotely, you must do the following (all three steps):

1. Dial ***1, and enter the IP address you're told into your web browser

2. Navigate to System Management-->Auto Provisioning

a) For Auto Firmware Update ---> ensure method is disabled

b) For ITSP Provisioning ---> change method to disabled (uncheck default box)

c) For OBiTalk Provisioning--->change method to disabled (uncheck default box)
Keep in mind changes made in Obitalk.com web portal will no longer transfer to your device
after this change is made.

(submit)

3. Navigate to Voice Services-->OBiTALK Service-->Obitalk service Settings
a) uncheck enable and uncheck the default box
You will not be able to call other Obihai devices using their respective Obitalk numbers after making this change. Also the OBi Echo test will no longer work if you disable OBiTALK Service.

(submit/reboot)

Credit goes to Pianoguy for teaching me about this issue.

Most OBi200/202 guides can be found over here: newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-79-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2036007/

newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-79-99-1-50-ehf ... #p26724387
How do I retrieve Voicemail using the telephone for Freephoneline?
To access your FPL voicemail, dial your FPL phone number from a phone attached to an Obihai ATA using FPL.

OR

Log into https://www.freephoneline.ca/mailbox (do not delete voicemail using the FPL portal, or you'll encounter a Freephoneline bug that leaves your Message Waiting Indicator permanently stuck on)

OR

Dial a Freephoneline voicemail remote access phone number (useful from your smartphone) followed by your FPL account phone number (starting with 1) + #, followed by your voicemail password + #: http://www.freephoneline.ca/vmAccessNumbers

OR

Let's get voicemail access working by dialing *98. I think that's what most of us are used to.

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.

It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

For these changes, don't copy and paste entire sections. Just add the bolded stuff.

1. Navigate to Physical Interfaces-->PHONE Port(FPL)-->PHONE Port->DigitMap

Yours probably looks something like this:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|##|**70(Mli)|**8(Mbt)|**81(Mbt)|**82(Mbt2)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4(Msp4)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

You need to stick |*98| in there somewhere.

So, change that to

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|*98|**0|***|#|##|**70(Mli)|**8(Mbt)|**81(Mbt)|**82(Mbt2)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4(Msp4)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

2. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (freephoneline)-->General-->DigitMap

It probably looks something like (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Add |*98| in there.

So, change that to

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

Now FPL voicemail should be set to work with *98 when you dial. But there's a problem. In the OBi ATA, *98 is set to Blind Transfer. Let's change that to *99.

3. Navigate to Star Codes-->Star Code Profile (Freephoneline)-->Code28

To Figure out what Star Code Profile you should be using look at Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port (FPL)-->Calling Features-->StarCodeProfile
It's probably set to A. So for step 3, it's probably Star Code Profile A that you need to change.

It will show: *98, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

Change that to
*99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn)

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

Here's an OBihai Star Code quick reference guide: http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiFeatureStarCodes.pdf

Blind Transfer is neat by the way: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0
Obviously, if you change Blind Transfer to *99, you need to use *99.
How do I retrieve the VM using the telephone for Google Voice?
Dial your GV phone number from your OBi, using GV.

or

Login to https://www.google.com/voice#inbox

or login to https://www.google.com/voice#voicemailsettings and configure GV to email voicemail to you
(there are also other settings there)
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 18th, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9407 posts
2348 upvotes
wow, was looking to buy my 2nd unlock key, and now it's 80$. I remember when it was 50$. a few years ago. I guess it's the inflation :P

Question. What happens if I buy a 2nd ATA adapter and install it at a different location and use the same unlock key? Will neither work? Will only the first who registered online?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Question. What happens if I buy a 2nd ATA adapter and install it at a different location and use the same unlock key? Will neither work? Will only the first who registered online?
Only one device can be properly registered with an FPL account at any time.

The mostly recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The other will not.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9407 posts
2348 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 6:50 pm
Messerschmitt wrote: Question. What happens if I buy a 2nd ATA adapter and install it at a different location and use the same unlock key? Will neither work? Will only the first who registered online?
Only one device can be properly registered with an FPL account at any time.

The mostly recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The other will not.
But it will work on both devices for outgoing calls?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 6:54 pm

But it will work on both devices for outgoing calls?
In my testing, using Groundwire smartphone SIP app and an ATA with the same FPL account will work for outbound calls on either device, provided you're using the right SIP credentials.

However, you have to be careful with FPL because if you make more than 5 registration attempts within a 5 minute period, you'll end up with a temporary IP ban.

What you want will definitely not work for inbound calls.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 18th, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9407 posts
2348 upvotes
Sounds good, thanks for the info. Does FPL ever do sales on the unlock key?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 7:26 pm
Sounds good, thanks for the info. Does FPL ever do sales on the unlock key?
No
Apr 20, 2009
78 posts
I'm wondering if someone could give me a bit of a tutorial. I've been using WinMTR on random Sunday evenings in prep for dropping my Rogers Home Phone when my current deal with them runs out in a month or so. Instead of posting multiple results for all 3 numbers, I'm hoping someone could tell me how to interpret them. In layman's terms. I've read some guidelines online but they didn't make much sense to me. I have a basic working knowledge of networking, but... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
indebted wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 8:38 pm
I'm wondering if someone could give me a bit of a tutorial. I've been using WinMTR on random Sunday evenings in prep for dropping my Rogers Home Phone when my current deal with them runs out in a month or so. Instead of posting multiple results for all 3 numbers, I'm hoping someone could tell me how to interpret them. In layman's terms. I've read some guidelines online but they didn't make much sense to me. I have a basic working knowledge of networking, but... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks!
A.Use winmtr http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

B. For Freephoneline.ca (based in Ontario), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping about 100 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want.

C. Look at the very last hop or line. Take a look at your average ping--and your maximum. You want those values to be relatively close.
You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping). If you get horrible results (pings over 200ms), you should probably avoid FPL.

I get between 11 (voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca)-24ms (voip4.freephonline.ca) on average, depending on the server I'm testing to. Preferably, you want pings below 100ms.

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

Try the free FPL desktop app first: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/
(fwiw, I dislike this app)

Make sure that you're not muting anything (microphone/speakers), and that you tested to ensure your mic is working before fiddling around with the app: http://win10faq.com/fix-microphone-settings/

And make sure you test incoming calls for 1-way audio issues before paying a dime to FPL (you'll need a mic and headphones/speakers to test). Test on a computer that's connected to your router (without DMZ or port forwarding enabled). Should you encounter 1-way audio issues, look for a feature called SIP ALG in your router (you may need to call your ISP if you're using a modem/router combo) and disable that feature.

C. Hitron CGN3 series modem/router combos from Rogers

i. Typically it's better to have your own router and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode.

ii. Disable SIP ALG in your own router. Many modem/router combos that are issued by ISPs have faulty SIP ALG/SPI functions enabled, with no way to disable them. These features can mangle SIP headers.

To understand why SIP ALG is often a serious headache visit http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

Otherwise, get Rogers via @CommunityHelps or TechXpert to disable SIP ALG for you. The TechXpert you speak to may not know how to disable SIP ALG. Be prepared for stupidity and resistance. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your Hitron modem/router; that's a security risk and very stupid. Be aware if you reset your modem or when Rogers pushes new firmware to your Hitron modem/router combo, SIP ALG will be enabled again by default, but there's a workaround listed in the second quotation below.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 972#M28972
Datalink wrote: Call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting of the modem.

If the CSR refuses to check or uncheck the function switch, or tries to direct you to the Techxpert support which is a pay service, terminate the call and send a private message to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG. Include your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area. The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number. This can be obtained by calling Customer support. You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

When that is confirmed as complete, reboot the modem to determine if disabling the SIP/ALG has remedied the problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/12535
Datalink wrote:The only problem now is that a modem reset will require you to send a pm to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG setting again. To possibly avoid that, do the following:

1. Login into the modem,

2. Navigate to the ADMIN..... BACKUP page.

3. Run the Backup function and store the backup configuration file somewhere on your pc.

If you ever have to reset the modem, return to the ADMIN.... BACKUP page, run the Restore function using the configuration file that you have just created and then reboot the modem. Hopefully that also restores any parameters set by @CommunityHelps, which you are unable to accomplish from the user interface

iii. Properly enable QoS in your router for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual or contact your ISP if you were issued a modem/router combo from them (typically those routers suck and have horrible or absent QoS functions).

I'm not a huge fan of this website, but it suffices for an explanation of QoS: http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm
Avoid anything it says about the G.729

iv. If you still get one-way audio issues with the desktop app, you may need to port forward, which is a security risk (and not advisable).

The FPL desktop app uses ports 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001 if you're going to port forward for the desktop app (you need to port forward to the LAN IP of the computer you're using. For most home networks the IP will begin 192.168.xxx.x). Refer to your router's manual to learn how to port forward (if your router came from your ISP, contact your ISP).

I would start just by port forwarding 13000-13001 only, which is for RTP (audio packets). If that still doesn't work, you can try adding 6060 or 6061. The most dangerous ports to forward are 5060-5061 and really shouldn't be necessary if you're forwarding 6060 or 6061 anyway. I guess if all else fails, forward all of them: 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001

These are all UDP ports.

5060, 5061, 6060, and 6061 should be alternate SIP ports.

Only port forward if all else fails (and only do it temporarily, since it's a security risk).

Most Obihai OBi200/202 ATA guides can be found over here: newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-79-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2036007/
Apr 1, 2006
11 posts
I have a question about freephoneline.ca. if I'm using an Obitalk with it are there any connection fees for local calls? per minute fee? or does that stuff only apply to long distance calls?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
kenw232 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 12:57 am
I have a question about freephoneline.ca. if I'm using an Obitalk with it are there any connection fees for local calls? per minute fee? or does that stuff only apply to long distance calls?
Obitalk, Obihai, or whatever ATA you use has no bearing on fees. What you pay is always dependent on the service provider you use.
Service providers set the fees.

If the call is within Freephoneline's free calling area, there are no fees: https://www.freephoneline.ca/cityListing

If the call is outside the free calling area, the call won't go through unless you prepay with World Credits:
https://www.freephoneline.ca/ldServices
Dec 11, 2014
37 posts
3 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
When starting FreePhoneLine desktop app to make a call from PC, it always pops up HOSTS window asking to choose a host IP for this session. The PC has a LAN card, and also VirtualBox network adapters listed in Network Connections used by virtual machines and set with local IPs. Is there a way to set the outgoing IP in FPL Settings file or another file on my PC, so FPL always use the same IP at startup? Or possibly, some extra app can help with that?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
mayacara wrote:
Sep 26th, 2016 11:55 am
When starting FreePhoneLine desktop app to make a call from PC, it always pops up HOSTS window asking to choose a host IP for this session. The PC has a LAN card, and also VirtualBox network adapters listed in Network Connections used by virtual machines and set with local IPs. Is there a way to set the outgoing IP in FPL Settings file or another file on my PC, so FPL always use the same IP at startup? Or possibly, some extra app can help with that?
Sorry, I've never encountered this and don't know the answer to your question (I don't use the desktop app very often and tend to dislike it). I hope someone else knows.
You may also want to try asking here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f=8 (but I don't think very many people use the desktop app, and there's no official support for it, so no one way respond).