Computers & Electronics

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:01 pm
Jan 4, 2021
142 posts
258 upvotes
Ottawa
I cant really find an answer to this online so maybe someone here knows?

I forward my Public Mobile Cellphone number to voip.ms. I have a softphone on all my devices and use this for all my calls. With Voip.ms I have 2 sub accounts, one with the caller ID of my Public Mobile Cell number and one with my Voip.MS DID. Doing things this way allow me to call from both my cell number and from my voip.ms number using the softphone app via voip.ms.

If I do the voip unlock key, is it possible to "spoof" the number I'm calling from to look like my cellphone number? I'd like to get rid of VoipMS but before I spend the $100 on the unlock key I'm curious if my setup will still work. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1012 posts
266 upvotes
g8t3pKAW wrote: I cant really find an answer to this online so maybe someone here knows?

I forward my Public Mobile Cellphone number to voip.ms. I have a softphone on all my devices and use this for all my calls. With Voip.ms I have 2 sub accounts, one with the caller ID of my Public Mobile Cell number and one with my Voip.MS DID. Doing things this way allow me to call from both my cell number and from my voip.ms number using the softphone app via voip.ms.

If I do the voip unlock key, is it possible to "spoof" the number I'm calling from to look like my cellphone number? I'd like to get rid of VoipMS but before I spend the $100 on the unlock key I'm curious if my setup will still work. Thanks!
I have three accounts with voip.ms, and tried with freephoneline.ca, and they no longer provide support. So far, I have not find a way to spoof it... anyone else have insights?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
g8t3pKAW wrote:
Freephoneline does not officially support number spoofing, although I’ve done it in the past. They may have blocked that method now.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2300 posts
947 upvotes
Anyone from experience know if I buy the VOIP unlock key and also transfer in an external number. If later on I decide to transfer out that number, will I need to buy an entirely new VOIP unlock key? Or will I simply be able to get another number from FPL that's usable with the existing VOIP unlock key.

The interpretation from https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... er-carrier seems to be they just delete your whole account along with the VOIP unlock key is that accurate?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote: If later on I decide to transfer out that number, will I need to buy an entirely new VOIP unlock key?
Yes, the account is automatically terminated when porting out. It's always been that way.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
ArrowFlynn wrote: Yes, the account is automatically terminated when porting out. It's always been that way.
Agree. This is the reason why I use the phone number provided by FPL to test for a month before port my landline number to FPL for good.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7566 posts
5264 upvotes
Toronto
emiabe wrote: Hi, at my current home location I don’t have an option to get a landline or home wifi. I’ve had Rogers-based cell #s before at this location which was reliable. Now I use Fido data only service with voip.ms and GV. I also have a FPL # which I use as voicemail only service 99% of the time because I don’t leave the desktop app on. (I turn it on when I need to receive 2FA calls from CIBC, as GV # does not work with them, both for text and call options.)

I miss GV calls a lot and wondering why I had Rogers-based cell #s working well here before, but Voip not working as well, presumably using the same Rogers cell tower. I would upgrade my FPL # by paying $100 + tax (VoIP Unlock key) + buying something like this https://www.amazon.ca/Obihai-OBi200-Ada ... B07FCS1NGM if that would make phone calls reliable. I guess I don’t have this option because I cannot get wired home wifi here. Is there a similar device which I can insert a Fido data only SIM? Even if such a device is available, how would I know how reliable that setup would be?

Thank you :)
If you are looking for wireless home phone where you insert the simcard and hook up your home phone to it, then you might want to try :

ZTE WF723 from Fido for $70

Their plan is expensive imo, if freedom network works for you in your area, you can sign up to their $99/yr call txt plan.

This is all under impression you don't get wired internet at home to utilize freephoneline sip key and obihai.
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
Can someone guide me on what to do in either situation??

Situation 1: when I’m on the phone (1st line), the 2nd line call does Not ring. Instead it’s auto forwarded to a secondary line and only rings 1x, so I’m unable to answer in either case.

Situation 2: during the same day, some phone calls ring like a normal phone would. And then Some phone calls don’t ring and are once again forwarded to the secondary phone number.

Additional info: I have a second phone line.
Unit: OBi200.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4072 posts
1959 upvotes
Toronto
I just found out that GV wasn't working on my Obi200. Apparently there is a firmware update that I manually did and all is good.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1755 posts
385 upvotes
GSD wrote: I just found out that GV wasn't working on my Obi200. Apparently there is a firmware update that I manually did and all is good.

What else does the firmware update covers?

I haven't done any firmware update for sometime.. wonder if i should..
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4072 posts
1959 upvotes
Toronto
softech wrote: What else does the firmware update covers?

I haven't done any firmware update for sometime.. wonder if i should..
Dunno, I had my firmware upgrades blocked as per Webslinger's old advice. Did the manual upgrade and seems to be working fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
3421 posts
1860 upvotes
Hi. I hope someone here can answer a question for me with Fongo or Freephone line.

I have recently acquired a Fido data only plan but I have added the service (SIM) to my mobile phone which already has phone and data service with Shaw/Freedom. However, my cellular service with Shaw/Freedom is terrible. Fido warns me that if I try to forward my calls automatically to my Fongo/Voip number using the data plan to access the voip calls, I may be charged $2.25 a minute.

Has anyone had any experience with using the Fido only data SIM with a dual SIM device?

cc: @peteryorkuca
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7566 posts
5264 upvotes
Toronto
sheyenne wrote: Hi. I hope someone here can answer a question for me with Fongo or Freephone line.

I have recently acquired a Fido data only plan but I have added the service (SIM) to my mobile phone which already has phone and data service with Shaw/Freedom. However, my cellular service with Shaw/Freedom is terrible. Fido warns me that if I try to forward my calls automatically to my Fongo/Voip number using the data plan to access the voip calls, I may be charged $2.25 a minute.

Has anyone had any experience with using the Fido only data SIM with a dual SIM device?

cc: @peteryorkuca
If you are planning to call forward shaw number to freephoneline sip using fido data, it will work but call quality would be questionable.

What fido is telling you though is if you receive phone calls on your fido data only line, you will be charged for minutes using voice call option.

You can download app like TextNow and try the call forwarding from shaw to voip(freephoneline sip/TextNow), but even though TextNow is free, no one can use it for extended period of time without static and breakup. But you can use it to test your theory without having to pay.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sheyenne wrote: I have recently acquired a Fido data only plan but I have added the service (SIM) to my mobile phone which already has phone and data service with Shaw/Freedom. However, my cellular service with Shaw/Freedom is terrible. Fido warns me that if I try to forward my calls automatically to my Fongo/Voip number using the data plan to access the voip calls, I may be charged $2.25 a minute.
1. How do you enable call forwarding on a Fido data-only plan? Both calling and texting are disabled on this SIM.
2. Where did Fido warn you that CFing to VoIP will incur $2.25/minute charges? Perhaps this is the case for their other plans but I've never seen any reference to CFing on their data-only plan.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
g8t3pKAW wrote: I'd like to get rid of VoipMS but before I spend the $100 on the unlock key I'm curious if my setup will still work. Thanks!
With an Obihai ATA/IP Phone, you can call into its Auto Attendant using any allowed number that you specify to make outbound calls from any service provider provisioned on it. The bridged outbound call can show FPL's number. This is just one of several reasons why using an Obihai device helps to make up for a lack of FPL's features. That's basically the same thing as DISA, which FPL doesn't offer.

So if you can't get a SIP app working well with Freephoneline, you could use Fongo Mobile, Google Voice, or anything else that's free, to make outbound calls using your FPL number if you just want to use data so long as you're using an Obihai device.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Sep 3rd, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
barginfreak wrote: Unit: OBi200.
Additional info: I have a second phone line.
I don't know if I can answer your question once I have all the facts, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't understand your post.

An OBi200 only has one phone port.

So how do you have a second physical phone line attached to the ATA? Are you using a jack splitter?

Do you mean you have two FPL (two VoIP unlock keys) numbers provisioned on the ATA?
when I’m on the phone (1st line), the 2nd line call does Not ring. Instead it’s auto forwarded to a secondary line
What secondary line? To another FPL number? To FPL's voicemail system? To a cell phone number?

Are you using the ATA to call forward? Or are you using FPL's Follow Me feature?

Are you talking about the incoming call reaching FPL's voicemail system when incoming calls don't ring?

If I'm on a call using my FPL number, and if an incoming call comes in using another Service Provider (SP) that I've provisioned on the ATA, the second incoming call appears on my phone's call display (treated as a call that's waiting to be answered). The phone itself needs to support call waiting.
Jan 4, 2021
142 posts
258 upvotes
Ottawa
ArrowFlynn wrote: With an Obihai ATA/IP Phone, you can call into its Auto Attendant using any allowed number that you specify to make outbound calls from any service provider provisioned on it. The bridged outbound call can show FPL's number. This is just one of several reasons why using an Obihai device helps to make up for a lack of FPL's features. That's basically the same thing as DISA, which FPL doesn't offer.

So if you can't get a SIP app working well with Freephoneline, you could use Fongo Mobile, Google Voice, or anything else that's free, to make outbound calls using your FPL number if you just want to use data so long as you're using an Obihai device.
This is interesting, I have an Obihai100 from way back in the day collecting dust so I'll have to try it again. Thank you. The problem is, I'd want my cellphone number to show up instead of the FPL number.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
g8t3pKAW wrote: This is interesting, I have an Obihai100 from way back in the day collecting dust so I'll have to try it again. Thank you. The problem is, I'd want my cellphone number to show up instead of the FPL number.
Actually, number spoofing using an Obihai ATA with FPL does work, but now that I've posted, they'll probably block that method.

groundwire-sip-client-add-ons-1-39-ios- ... #p30098924
Webslinger wrote: Navigate to ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP-->X_SpoofCallerID (enable).
Then in Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port-->OutboundCallRoute, use {(Mspx):spx(5191234567>)} towards the beginning of the Outboundcallroute
where x = the SP # you have FPL provisioned on and where 5191234567 is the spoofed number.
I tested right now, and that works.

So, you can spoof whatever number you want using an Obihai ATA with FPL at the moment, but who knows how long that will last before it's shut down.
Webslinger wrote:You will probably run the risk of getting your FPL account banned for abuse, depending on your usage. Again, at the time of this post, what I wrote here works.
That's probably worth considering too.

Anyway, since you can call into an Obihai ATA and have the Auto Attendant bridge calls with whatever service is provisioned on it, outbound calls can show your cell number if you want with FPL.
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
Some of my calls come in. Some dont. Some go directly to the “follow me” option.

I have isp modem —>WiFi router—>Switch—>OBI port 2.

Wifi router offers QOs but asks to enter highest/lowest kbs/Mbs, which I don’t know.
Also, one ON, the qos slows down all connections.
Any guidance?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)