Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
Jeff146 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:05 pm
Ok I will try that setting when I get a chance tonight. Thank you.

And which server and settings did you use for the Obihai?
FWIW, I contacted someone who has a R7000 with Vortex firmware yesterday. SIP Passthrough was left at defaults, and he used version 1.30 of my guide. FPL is working perfectly fine for him with all FPL SIP servers. However, he did reset his router after flashing to Vortex.

FPL does have a relatively known issue for some people's accounts if they don't request a forced registration.

I use Asus Merlin. SIP Passthrough is Enabled + NAT helper (default) in my router as well.

Asus routers/firmware don't have a problem when SIP Passthrough is left at default settings.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.33). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
I am no longer responding to technical support requests via PM. Please post on the forums instead so that others can learn (and possibly respond before I do).

Someone PMed the following . . .
Hello,

I tried following your guide to get nomorobo working with freephoneline but for some reason when I dial number I got from website it rings one and then return busy. But when I type I'm ready call me now, my home phone never rings.

I've tried both alcazar and sip proxy... Have Follow me - Disabled on FPL

here is my Inbound route:

{(MTelemarketers):},{ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@sip.tollfreeproxy.com;ui=$1)}

Any ideas what could be my issue?

A few thoughts occur to me:

a) Possibly Nomorobo is blocking the outbound call due your phone number not being owned by Vonage. If you don't see the test call in https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs, that might be one explanation. However, that's not a perfectly reliable method for determining what's happening because incoming phone numbers only appear in FPL's call log if the incoming call has been answered by you or FPL's answering machine.

b) If the test call to your FPL number is a SIP URI call from Nomoboro, the test call will never reach FPL because FPL blocks incoming SIP URI calls unless they're from Fongo Mobile.

c) Possible FPL doesn't allow incoming Nomorobo verification calls anymore.

d) Does it really matter if you can't verify the test call? If you don't verify the test call, Nomorobo still picks up the call with "please try your call again" when a telemarketer calls. If the test call is verified, the telemarketer hears this: https://soundcloud.com/nomorobo/nomorob ... er-captcha. I might actually prefer if the test call isn't verified.

Regardless, I suspect if you are seeing "busy" in your call history, then your Nomorobo toll free number is working as intended.

Here's a quick way to test:

1) use {ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=3194327596)}

2) dial your FPL number

The call should be answered within 3 seconds of ringing by Nomorobo ("please try your call again" message is played or something similar), and then call is disconnected by Nomorobo.

3). Now try {ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=yourcellnumber)}

youcellnumber needs to be replaced with your actual cell phone number.

4) Call your FPL number

You should see the following in your call histroy:
Call Failed (486 Busy Here; SP1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=yourcellnumber)

That's what's supposed to happen. If there's a busy response from Nomorobo, then the call will continue to ring your phone ports (beyond 3 seconds).

If nomorobo picks up the call, then your phone ports won't ring.

3194327596 is a known marketer.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 6#msg58226
(thanks to azrobert)

You will need to change xxxx to whatever the last 4 digits are of your nomorobo toll free number.

There's a related thread here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10368.20
Should you have further questions, you may want to try asking there.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 10th, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.33). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3245 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:19 pm
FWIW, I contacted someone who has a R7000 with Vortex firmware yesterday. SIP Passthrough was left at defaults, and he used version 1.30 of my guide. FPL is working perfectly fine for him with all FPL SIP servers. However, he did reset his router after flashing to Vortex.

FPL does have a relatively known issue for some people's accounts if they don't request a forced registration.

I use Asus Merlin. SIP Passthrough is Enabled + NAT helper (default) in my router as well.

Asus routers/firmware don't have a problem when SIP Passthrough is left at default settings.
Ok thanks I will try tonight and hopefully it will work.

Actually one thing I have is ab-solution that I totally forgot about, going to disable that too and see if that works. I also followed 1.30 version of the guide.

Thanks,
Jeff
Mar 7, 2011
116 posts
50 upvotes
Anyone have any experience with their number being unable to port into Fongo or Freephoneline? The number is a Bell landline from southern Ontario. Any suggestions as a workaround?
Oct 30, 2012
845 posts
224 upvotes
Hamilton
Jeff146 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:51 pm
Ok thanks I will try tonight and hopefully it will work.

Actually one thing I have is ab-solution that I totally forgot about, going to disable that too and see if that works. I also followed 1.30 version of the guide.

Thanks,
Jeff
I have Merlin FW + AB solution, it was never a problem for FPL setup and I also haven't turn off SIP and using NAT same like Webslinger's setup and it just works

I do have Advanced QOS with VoIP as Highest priority
Oct 30, 2012
845 posts
224 upvotes
Hamilton
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:38 pm
I am no longer responding to technical support requests via PM. Please post on the forums instead so that others can learn (and possibly respond before I do).

Someone PMed the following . . .

A few thoughts occur to me:

a) Possibly Nomorobo is blocking the outbound call due your phone number not being owned by Vonage. If you don't see the test call in https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs, that might be one explanation. However, that's not a perfectly reliable method for determining what's happening because incoming phone numbers only appear in FPL's call log if the incoming call has been answered by you or FPL's answering machine.

b) If the test call to your FPL number is a SIP URI call from Nomoboro, the test call will never reach FPL because FPL blocks incoming SIP URI calls unless they're from Fongo Mobile.

c) Possible FPL doesn't allow incoming Nomorobo verification calls anymore.

d) Does it really matter if you can't verify the test call? If you don't verify the test call, Nomorobo still picks up the call with "please try your call again" when a telemarketer calls. If the test call is verified, the telemarketer hears this: https://soundcloud.com/nomorobo/nomorob ... er-captcha. I might actually prefer if the test call isn't verified.

Regardless, I suspect if you are seeing "busy" in your call history, then your Nomorobo toll free number is working as intended.

Here's a quick way to test:

1) use {ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=3194327596)}

2) dial your FPL number

The call should be answered within 3 seconds of ringing by Nomorobo ("please try your call again" message is played or something similar), and then call is disconnected by Nomorobo.

3). Now try {ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=yourcellnumber)}

youcellnumber needs to be replaced with your actual cell phone number.

4) Call your FPL number

You should see the following in your call histroy:
Call Failed (486 Busy Here; SP1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=yourcellnumber)

That's what's supposed to happen. If there's a busy response from Nomorobo, then the call will continue to ring your phone ports (beyond 3 seconds).

If nomorobo picks up the call, then your phone ports won't ring.

3194327596 is a known marketer.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 6#msg58226
(thanks to azrobert)

You will need to change xxxx to whatever the last 4 digits are of your nomorobo toll free number.

There's a related thread here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10368.20
Should you have further questions, you may want to try asking there.
seems like my issue is a)

as Nomorobo never hits my FPL can't see in log on the website so not sure if it's because not using Simulring at Vonage or what's going on, I setup SP4 as false trunk like they recommended when you want to authenticate with GV, but no luck for me

when I try

use {ph,ph2,sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=3194327596)} - I am getting Please try again ...

when call from cellphone, my FPL # rings and I do see 486 Busy in the log from Nomorobo

but I'm not unable to get test call from nomorobo to go through, so not sure will it work properly
Last edited by puska83 on Mar 10th, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
puska83 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:50 pm

as Nomorobo never hits my FPL can't see in log on the website
Yeah, but incoming calls only appear in your FPL account call logs at FPL's site if those calls are answered. So, the website is inconclusive.

But the issue is either Nomorobo isn't calling the FPL phone number--or FPL is blocking Nomorobo test calls.

so not sure if it's because not using Simulring at Vonage
It's not.
or what's going on, I setup SP4 as false trunk

That's only needed when using GV because GV is not SIP. GV is XMPP. sp1(1866732xxxx@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=$1)} is a SIP URI call.
So SP1 can't be GV. It must be a SIP service. FPL is a SIP service. But some people on the Obihai forums are only using GV--and not SIP. There's
no need to do what they're doing.

As I mentioned before, I don't think it matters if you verify the test call. Do steps 1 to 4 to see if Nomborobo is working as intended, regardless of whether you've verified the test call.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 10th, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 30, 2012
845 posts
224 upvotes
Hamilton
I was editing the post, so yeah I can confirm 1) to 4) work as intended, so guess everything should be working OK
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
kdeleye wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:33 pm
Anyone have any experience with their number being unable to port into Fongo or Freephoneline? The number is a Bell landline from southern Ontario. Any suggestions as a workaround?
The phone number has to be from one of these cities: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212436086.

There is no work around--other than to use a different VoIP service that allows you to port your phone number into that service.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 10th, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
shan52 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 7:39 pm
Is FPL support calling card?
If you can call the access number using FPL, then yes. If not, then no.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3240 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
NAT filtering "disable sip alg" checked, "Open" is check,should I go with "Secured" option?Another issue is when pick up the phone,I didn't get dial tone but noise sound like "di di di ",but phone still working,please advise.

This is for my co-work,she has Netgear N300 router I guess.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
rui wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:23 am
NAT filtering "disable sip alg" checked, "Open" is check,should I go with "Secured" option?
Never having used the N300 or most Netgear routers with default firmware, I don't really know the answer to this question. It's impossible for me to become familiar with all routers on the market.
This thread was less than useful (lots of people guessing): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genera ... td-p/39980.
I would hope that one of the options (either secure or open) would offer the user a Restricted Cone NAT or Port Restricted Cone NAT firewall.

Basically, I don't have an answer, except to test first.

When buying a router for VoIP, ensure you buy one that does not have a full cone NAT.
Visit https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2 ... es-of-nat/.

Mango from the Obitalk.com forums writes,

“Use a restricted cone NAT router, and do not use port forwarding or DMZ. Restricted cone NAT will only permit inbound traffic from the service provider you're registered to. If you have a full cone NAT router, it will allow traffic from any source. This is probably not what you intend.

If you have a Windows computer, you can test your router using the utility here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22292023.To run it, use stun stun.ekiga.net from a command prompt.” Essentially, you download the stun-test.zip file; extract the stun.exe file from within the zip file to an easily accessible location; use an elevated command prompt (visit http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-ru ... inistrator); change directory (cd) to the directory or location where you extracted stun.exe (visit http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command- ... c-commands); and type “stun stun.ekiga.net” without the quotation marks followed by the enter/return button on your keyboard.

Asus routers, at the time of this writing, produce port restricted cone NAT routers, for example. They’re fine.

So, I would run that test with both the "secure" and "open" options to see what the results are.
I do see someone at dslreports recommending to use "open" with the N300: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r260447 ... N300-Setup.
But I would still run the above test first.

You do not want a Full Cone NAT router.

Also, if your co-worker is using DSL, the Netgear router should be doing the PPoE login. If you're co-worker is using cable, whatever modem/router combo or gateway her ISP gave her should be in bridge mode.
Another issue is when pick up the phone,I didn't get dial tone but noise sound like "di di di ",but phone still working,please advise.
Yeah, that sounds like there's a voicemail message waiting to me.

On the surface, it seems like Freephoneline is working perfectly fine for her. She may not have to change anything (test with an incoming phone call to her FPL number). If there's two-way audio, then great.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 15th, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3240 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:02 pm
Also, if you're co-worker is using DSL, the Netgear router should be doing to PPoE login. If you're co-worker is using cable, whatever modem/router combo or gateway her ISP gave her should be in bridge mode.
She is using CIK cable now but will be using carrytel cable 100M plan by the end of Apr.

Webslinger wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:02 pm
Yeah, that sounds like there's a voicemail message waiting to me.
On the surface, it seems like Freephoneline is working perfectly fine for her. She may not have to change anything (test with an incoming phone call to her FPL number). If there's two-way audio, then great.
I think so, will ask her to check,thanks so much.

[/quote]
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7445 posts
2010 upvotes
rui wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 4:10 pm
She is using CIK cable now but will be using carrytel cable 100M plan by the end of Apr.
Okay, the bottom line is if they gave her a modem/router combo, she should stick that device in bridge mode.
If they just gave her a modem without any router functions built into it, then she doesn't have to do anything.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel