Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7415 posts
2003 upvotes
Firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5589) is now the latest OBi200/202 ATA firmware: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5589.fw

Changelog is located at https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=987

If you're not having problems, there's no need to update.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.32). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Feb 3, 2006
929 posts
16 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 8:30 am
The most powerful ATAs for home use are Obihai OBi200 or OBi202 (if you need two phone or FXS ports), due to their powerful call routing features, sold by Newegg Canada.

OBi200 is currently on sale: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2083622/
Today (Sunday) is the last day of the sale.

Obihai ATAs were designed by the same people who engineered the PAP2T.
Thanks Webslinger for the response.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to buy the OBi200 that was on sale because I was able to get my Linksys PAP2T going again for a few weeks and then it went stopped functioning again.

I have a question for anyone that can help.
My Linksys PAP2T like I mentioned stopped working.
It displays a red solid light for Power and a green solid light for INTERNET. There's no light on for Phone Line 1 or 2. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Is it bricked?

One last question, what are the differences/advantages of buying a OBi200 over a Cisco SPA122, ATA with Router - Affordable and Feature-Rich Voice over IP (VoIP)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7415 posts
2003 upvotes
fogo wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:40 pm

It displays a red solid light for Power and a green solid light for INTERNET. There's no light on for Phone Line 1 or 2. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Is it bricked?
Is it a fake? http://voipfan.net/other/fakepap2.php

I believe the red light indicates the boot loader isn't even working. There may be a poor soldering job.

You could also try popping it open to look for bulged capacitors (maybe the unit is also overheating). You could also try another power supply.

To me, the solid red light doesn't sound promising. I'm guessing you can't even get it to do a factory reset, but if you can that might be worth a shot.

One last question, what are the differences/advantages of buying a OBi200 over a Cisco SPA122

Given the price difference when an OBi202 goes on sale, any other 2 phone jack ATA for home use is a waste of money, imo. Why anyone would limit him or herself to something inferior over a difference of $20-$45+tax doesn't make any sense to me at this price point--despite Obihai having annoying support policies.

Also, visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r304704 ... -providers

If you absolutely need two phone ports, then I would look into an OBi202 at Newegg Canada instead of an OBi200.

Pianoguy is one of the biggest VoIP gurus on RFD (and in general):
PianoGuy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2015 4:28 pm
The SPA's features are very rudimentary compared to the OBi which has many excellent inbound call routing features, as well as the ability to seamlessly use multiple providers for incoming and/or outgoing calls - including Google Voice - on a single line. I know you're trying to save a buck and I don't blame you for that - this IS RedFlagDeals after all. But when you think how much you'll save in monthly costs, the extra $61 ($76-15) for an [OBi] will seem pretty insignificant.
The first post in this thread (click) pretty much explains everything an SPA122 ATA can't do that an Obihai can, starting with "OBi200/202 offers support for up to 4 SIP trunks and 8 voice gateways. That means you can use up to 12 different VoIP services on one telephone . . ."

It's not just an advantage with Google Voice. It's also iNUM, SIP Broker, etc., and being able to route calls between them. It's being able to route telemarketing calls elsewhere as I've outlined in my guide with Freephoneline and being also able to use Nomorobo with Freephoneline, etc.

Obihai ATAs also have far more powerful call routing abilities.

They're almost mini-PBXes.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.32). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Feb 3, 2006
929 posts
16 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:29 pm
Is it a fake? http://voipfan.net/other/fakepap2.php

I believe the red light indicates the boot loader isn't even working. There may be a poor soldering job.

You could also try popping it open to look for bulged capacitors (maybe the unit is also overheating). You could also try another power supply.

To me, the solid red light doesn't sound promising. I'm guessing you can't even get it to do a factory reset, but if you can that might be worth a shot.

Given the price difference when an OBi202 goes on sale, any other 2 phone jack ATA for home use is a waste of money, imo. Why anyone would limit him or herself to something inferior over a difference of $20-$45+tax doesn't make any sense to me at this price point--despite Obihai having annoying support policies.

Also, visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r304704 ... -providers

If you absolutely need two phone ports, then I would look into an OBi202 at Newegg Canada instead of an OBi200.

Pianoguy is one of the biggest VoIP gurus on RFD (and in general):

The first post in this thread (click) pretty much explains everything an SPA122 ATA can't do that an Obihai can, starting with "OBi200/202 offers support for up to 4 SIP trunks and 8 voice gateways. That means you can use up to 12 different VoIP services on one telephone . . ."

It's not just an advantage with Google Voice. It's also iNUM, SIP Broker, etc., and being able to route calls between them. It's being able to route telemarketing calls elsewhere as I've outlined in my guide with Freephoneline and being also able to use Nomorobo with Freephoneline, etc.

Obihai ATAs also have far more powerful call routing abilities.

They're almost mini-PBXes.

Webslinger, thanks again.
I do appreciate your time and effort.
Your post is much appreciated.

fogo
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7415 posts
2003 upvotes
http://status.fongo.com/

"We will be performing an extensive upgrade to our backend voice calling system on March 28 and 29 from 12:00AM-06:00AM EST. Voice calling may be intermittently disrupted; please do not submit a support ticket during these times."
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel