Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 1:24 am
I'm have been using a LinkSys SPA-3102 for about 4 years. It has worked to make/receive calls. But I do have 1 strange problem which I can not figure out. I have a friend who uses Ooma. When I call his #, I can hear him but he can't hear me. He can call me and then we can hear each other. What setting do I have to tweak to resolve this problem ?
If calls to and from all other numbers work perfectly fine, I would suspect an issue on your friend's end (and possibly a carrier issue with Ooma).
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 4th, 2017 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.40). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Sep 1, 2005
623 posts
60 upvotes
As a customer with FPL, I used 911 service 3 months ago and never got the $35 charge
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
__wizard__ wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:42 pm
As a customer with FPL, I used 911 service 3 months ago and never got the $35 charge
Out of curiosity, are you a VoIP unlock key customer (are you using an ATA or IP Phone) with freephoneline?

Anyway, as I suggest over here, I think the fee was introduced as a deterrent against people making 911 test calls.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 4th, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.40). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Sep 1, 2005
623 posts
60 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 4:48 pm
Out of curiosity, are you a VoIP unlock key customer (are you using an ATA or IP Phone) with freephoneline?

Anyway, as I infer over here, I think the fee was introduced as a deterrent against people making 911 test calls.
Yes I am VoIP unlock key customer and using it on ATA phone. Yes that make sense, hopefully I wont have to test it out again!

And thank you for pointing me in the right direction about the OBI200 modem, I will look into that and have also downloaded your PDF manual. Sorry didnt rear your signature before sending you that message
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
__wizard__ wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 5:02 pm
Yes I am VoIP unlock key customer and using it on ATA phone. Yes that make sense, hopefully I wont have to test it out again!
That is interesting to find out that you weren't charged.
And thank you for pointing me in the right direction about the OBI200 modem, I will look into that and have also downloaded your PDF manual. Sorry didnt rear your signature before sending you that message
You might want to wait for a sale from newegg.ca.

By the way . . .

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p21479663
PianoGuy wrote:The PAP/SPA family of ATAs were an industry standard for many years until Linksys EOL'd them in 2012. Did you know that not only were Sipura and Obihai ATAs designed by the same engineers, those engineers also invented the ATA at Komodo technology 15+ years ago? OBi ATAs are really the latest versions of the PAP/SPA ATAs - granted, with more/better call routing features, better hardware, and better audio quality
Essentially, the engineering team that designed the original PAP/SPA series left and eventually started designing Obihai ATAs. The Obihai ATAs are the true successors--not the SPA112/122 series.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1185 posts
83 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 9:51 am
If calls to and from all other numbers work perfectly fine, I would suspect an issue on your friend's end that's likely related to the SIP ALG feature in whatever router he's using. He should try disabling SIP ALG in it, if possible: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg. If he's using an ISP issues modem/router combo, he should contact his ISP and ask about disabling SIP ALG in that device.

Otherwise, click freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p26808549, and go through the steps, in particular steps 3 through 12.
Thanks Webslinger.

I don't think my friend will know how to reconfigure his router or Ooma box. But just to be clear, he has no problems when making or receiving calls with his Ooma. I don't have problems with making and receiving calls with my SP-3102 except he can never hear me when I call his #. But if he calls me, the connection is perfect. I'll check with him if he can follow your link.

thanks for the suggestion !!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 11:05 pm
Thanks Webslinger.

I don't think my friend will know how to reconfigure his router or Ooma box. But just to be clear, he has no problems when making or receiving calls with his Ooma. I don't have problems with making and receiving calls with my SP-3102 except he can never hear me when I call his #. But if he calls me, the connection is perfect. I'll check with him if he can follow your link.

thanks for the suggestion !!
I understood what you meant. And the second link is for you to do, whereas the first one is for him. However, I suspect the issue is on your friend's end--or an issue with Ooma itself with respect to receiving calls from certain carriers. For example, click http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5614. If the problem is a carrier issue with Ooma--an issue that's specific to receiving calls from numbers (possibly specific to your area code) owned by Fibernetics (Freephoneline's parent company)--then your friend is going to have to try to find a decent tech support rep at Ooma (by decent, I mean one who isn't completely stupid) and explain the problem.

You can verify which carrier owns your phone number by entering it here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup. Should say Fibernetics.

At first glance, I thought it might be a SIP ALG issue, but it does sound more likely to be a carrier/trunk issue. And I suspect that issue is on Ooma's end.
Aug 22, 2001
657 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
I submitted the request to port my home number to FreePhoneLine yesterday and today got a call from Shaw offering 10 months of phone service with long distance for FREE, and then only $10/month afterwards. Too little too late, I'm afraid.
Dec 7, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote
Yes, free now and free moving forward is much more appealing.

Enjoy no more phone bills!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:04 pm
Obihai OBiWiFi5G 2.4/5GHz Wireless 802.11AC Adapter for OBi200, OBi202

Amazon.com - $26.57USD+$9USD Shipping
Amazon.ca - $85CAD

Any suggestions where I can get this in Canada other than Amazon.ca?
Official Obihai retailers in Canada are Newegg.ca and Acrovoice.ca, and if they aren't carrying what you want, you're pretty much forced to import or buy from a 3rd party seller.
Note that the seller is not actually Amazon.ca (it's a a 3rd party marketplace seller). Amazon.com would be the smarter choice between the two.

I do not recommend using OBiWiFi. You're just introducing the potential for increased lag and an additional point of failure instead of using a wired Ethernet connection.
Aug 22, 2001
657 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
First day using the service with my ported number and running into problems.

Phone did not ring on all incoming calls this morning and went straight to voicemail.

When I got home from work I immediately went to test it. There was dial tone and I could dial out and connect to my cell phone appropriately. After making the outbound call, incoming phone calls resulted in my home phone ringing again. I thought the problem might be temporary.

Left it for a few hours, and incoming phone calls no longer worked again until I made an outbound call! Of course now that I have made the outbound call, inbound calls are ringing again.

Do I have some kind of problem with the settings? Should I be using the workaround for Rogers Hitron modems i.e., voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.? I am using Obi 110 connected via Netgear R7000 Nighthawk (SIG ALP disabled) to a Shaw Hitron CGNM2250 modem (bridge mode).
Last edited by AEmgee on Jul 18th, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Hi all, I've been using freephoneline for 6 or so years now and have been fairly happy with it.

The problem is, 4 years ago I moved into a house and we got an alarm system and at the time I was told I couldn't use a VOIP phone. This is with ADT Protectron.

So I'm paying Shaw something like $10-$15 a month for a service I don't even use. And I now realize shaw is VOIP too! D'oh! My main home line is still with freephoneline! I feel like this is just a waste of money now and would like to do something about it.

Can security systems be setup to work with freephoneline? My box is the same one from 6 years ago if that makes a difference?
Jul 10, 2006
336 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
>Can security systems be setup to work with freephoneline? My box is the same one from 6 years ago if that makes a difference?

Yes, sure it works for me with FPL (using obihai). Been like this for several years. The response rate to alarm calls has been 100% - I get a call back from the alarm company within one minute of the alarm being triggered.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7747 posts
2207 upvotes
AEmgee wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:15 pm
First day using the service with my ported number and running into problems.
The problem is related to the firmware in your router. NAT association/connection closes after awhile. The solution is found under "Follow all the steps below." Follow steps 1 through 12.

Note that AuthUserName (ATA setting) needs to be changed after porting. It's your SIP Username found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.
AuthUserName is found by navigating to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->SIP Credentials.

Simple things to check

a) "If you’re getting an `invalid account’ error messages, or if people trying to call you are hearing "invalid account"
or a busy signal, please log in to your account online at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings,and reset
your Follow Me settings (or disable it). Please ensure your temporary FPL number is not listed as one of the Follow
Me numbers."

b) If you have calls going straight to voicemail, login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings, and ensure
"Rings before voicemail" is greater than 1.

c) Also, check in your ATA to ensure you don't have "Do Not Disturb" enabled. This is found after logging into your
ATA or at Obitalk.com under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->Calling Features-->DoNotDisturbEnable. Ensure
there is no checkmark under "Value".

Navigate to Voice Services-->SP (FPL) Service-->Calling Features
a) Ensure DoNotDisturbEnable is unchecked
b) Ensure CallForwardUnconditionalEnable is unchecked
c) Ensure CallForwardOnBusyEnable is unchecked
d) Ensure CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable is uncheked
e) Ensure AnonymousCallBlockEnable is unchecked

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk (SIG ALP disabled) to a Shaw Hitron CGNM2250 modem (bridge mode).
R7000 + Freephoneline = headaches

newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... #p24757427
(FPL works for rui and zoob using Xwrt-Vortex but not when using stock firmware)

merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24954793

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18004

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24101065 (port forwarding is a security issue)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighth ... d-p/472423

etc.

Not a pleasant experience, and that's not even including the PMs (trust me) I get from people asking me to help them with their R7000s and FPL.

Granted, this issue is firmware related. And people using third party firmware have reported success.

Follow all the steps below in the order listed:

1. Switch router firmware to Xwrt-Vortex: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/index.htm
http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm (you need to download the zip file starting with "R7000").
For instructions, visit http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th ... 000.71108/.
I do not accept responsibility for failed firmware updates.

2. After #1, ensure that in your router, SIP Passthrough (navigate to Advanced Settings-->WAN-->NAT Passthrough) is set to "Enabled + NAT helper".
If you need to change the SIP Passthrough setting to "Enabled + NAT helper", ensure you click "apply" afterwards.

3. Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and
working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures,
the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai
ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration
Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old
IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP
address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep
Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a
problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example,
10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A
new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout
(often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not
communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently,
not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer
routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers,
does offer easy access to these two settings
, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part,
for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato
firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be
another option.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use
10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

Xwrt-Vortex is basically Asuswrt-Merlin.

a) So, in your router, navigate to General-->Tools-->Other Settings-->TCP/IP settings

i) change UDP Timeout: Assured to 117
ii) change UDP Timeout: Unreplied to 10

b) Click "apply"

4. Click https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1008717.
Assign your Obihai ATA highest priority, and give everything else on your Local Area Network a lower priority than your ATA.

In order for Bandwith Monitor (found under Adaptive QoS in your router) to work properly, first, you must turn all devices in your household that connect to the internet (smartphones, computers, smart thermostats, hubs, console gaming systems, roku/apple tv, etc.) so that they are listed.

Drag and drop "Highest" onto your ATA. Do not assign "highest" to anything else. Assign a lower priority to everything else (it's your choice for what priority to use for each device--but don't use "highest" on anything other than your VoIP device). Click "apply".

Use QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor (and not the QoS tab) in router.
Login to your router. Navigate to Adaptive QoS-->Bandwidth Monitor. Assign your Obihai ATA highest priority, and assign a lower priority to every other device listed (turn on all devices on your Local Area Network first so that they all populate in the device list). You just drag and drop priorities onto the devices. Then you click the "apply" button.

5. reboot router

6. Choose the correct method to change settings in your ATA (dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser OR use Obitalk.com)

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.

It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

7. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Uncheck the default box (and Obitalk Setting box if using Obitalk.com).
X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range, and enter it.
By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in
your router.

(submit/save settings)

8. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL)

a. Uncheck default boxes for X_KeepAliveEnable, X_KeepAliveExpires, and X_KeepAliveMsgType.
If you're using Obitalk.com, also uncheck related Obitalk Settings boxes (and keep this in mind when I state to uncheck default boxes below as well).

b. Check or enable X_KeepAliveEnable.
c. Change X_KeepAliveExpires to 20.
d. Select “notify” from the dropdown box for X_KeepAliveMsgType (I'm not sure if that's possible with an OBi110. If it's not, then leave it at "keep-alive").

(submit/save settings)

9. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP
i) ensure X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled (it is by default)

10. Uncheck default boxes for RegistrationPeriod and RegisterRetryInterval

a) For RegistrationPeriod use 3600
b) RegistrationRetryInterval is 120

(submit/save settings)

11. a. Navigate to ITSP Profile (FPL)–>SIP–>RTP
b. Uncheck default box for KeepAliveInterval
c. Set KeepAliveInterval to 20
d. Click the “Submit” button.

12. Reboot devices in this order:
Reboot Modem (keep it in bridge mode)-->reboot router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to broadcast)-->reboot ATA
Remember this next time for proper device boot order.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 19th, 2017 2:49 am, edited 23 times in total.