Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:16 pm
Can security systems be setup to work with freephoneline?
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27516035
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Aug 22, 2001
654 posts
203 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for your help re: R7000, Webslinger. Before I read your detailed post I had updated to the newest stock R7000 firmware from Netgear and changed the server to voip2.freephoneline.ca. I didn't make any other changes.

Since then, all incoming phone calls have succeeded (and yes, I have called repeatedly at different times in the day from different phones). Before I implement your changes, I will keep testing it for a while and then report back. I hope it's not wishful thinking that it will continue to work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
AEmgee wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 1:55 am
Thanks for your help re: R7000, Webslinger. Before I read your detailed post I had updated to the newest stock R7000 firmware from Netgear and changed the server to voip2.freephoneline.ca.
Switching SIP servers didn't help. Updating firmware is the only step that would have addressed your issue.
and yes, I have called repeatedly at different times in the day from different phone
That doesn't matter either for the issue you were encountering.

Regardless, you haven't addressed the UDP timeout issues I mentioned earlier (I know people with your router), but those issues occur under specific conditions. Hopefully, you won't encounter them. Otherwise, you know what you should be doing so that you can't have those problems--as opposed to hoping you won't.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Jun 24, 2005
387 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AEmgee wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:15 pm
First day using the service with my ported number and running into problems.

Phone did not ring on all incoming calls this morning and went straight to voicemail.

When I got home from work I immediately went to test it. There was dial tone and I could dial out and connect to my cell phone appropriately. After making the outbound call, incoming phone calls resulted in my home phone ringing again. I thought the problem might be temporary.

Left it for a few hours, and incoming phone calls no longer worked again until I made an outbound call! Of course now that I have made the outbound call, inbound calls are ringing again.

Do I have some kind of problem with the settings? Should I be using the workaround for Rogers Hitron modems i.e., voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.? I am using Obi 110 connected via Netgear R7000 Nighthawk (SIG ALP disabled) to a Shaw Hitron CGNM2250 modem (bridge mode).
I switched from Vmedia to Cannet recently and all of a sudden after 3 years of trouble free use, I have problems such as cannot dial out, "registration failed" messages which cause a trouble on my house alarm. I switched to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 and am problem free for two days now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
rngun wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 12:54 pm
I switched from Vmedia to Cannet recently and all of a sudden after 3 years of trouble free use, I have problems such as cannot dial out, "registration failed" messages which cause a trouble on my house alarm. I switched to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 and am problem free for two days now.
That's completely unrelated to the issue you just quoted. voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is used to circumvent faulty SIP ALG functions in routers.
SIP ALG was disabled in AEmgee's R7000 router, and the Shaw Hitron CGNM2250 modem/router combo was in bridge mode. SIP ALG is not operating at all. Consequently, using
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 in that scenario doesn't matter. AEmgee's problem was not caused by SIP ALG. Yours may have been.

Typically it's far better to have your own router with strong QoS functions and a restricted cone NAT firewall,
disable whatever SIP ALG feature is enabled in the router, and stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP
gives you into bridge mode. These router combos issued by ISPs frequently have faulty (and hidden) SIP ALG/SPI
features enabled with no way for the customer to disable them without getting a technical representative from his or her
ISP to turn this feature off. Quite frequently, the first representative you speak to will have no idea how to accomplish this,
much less know what SIP ALG is. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your modem/router combo or port forward; doing
either is a huge security risk. Be aware if you reset your modem or when your ISP pushes a new firmware update to your
modem/router combo, SIP ALG may be enabled again by default (and, therefore, it’s simply better to have your own
router with SIP ALG disabled in it).

To understand why SIP ALG often causes horrible problems, please visit
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
pocket1 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:54 pm
>Can security systems be setup to work with freephoneline? My box is the same one from 6 years ago if that makes a difference?

Yes, sure it works for me with FPL (using obihai). Been like this for several years. The response rate to alarm calls has been 100% - I get a call back from the alarm company within one minute of the alarm being triggered.
Okay I'm assuming that means I need to update my freephoneline "box" (ATA right?) to get it working? I just did a test with my current box and it didn't work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:01 pm
Okay I'll take a look.

Thanks for both replies! I'm willing to spend a bit upfront to save $12 a month!
I likely won't be able to help you troubleshoot alarm systems. However, my point in posting the link is to show that a number of people are using them with VoIP services, including Freephoneline.
I have no clue what ATA you're using, but you might want to try a different DTMF mode. Try RFC2833. And then if that doesn't work, try Inband. You can also try disabling the echo canceller in your ATA and also the jitter buffer in the ATA.

You should be using the G.711u audio codec only.

Beyond that, I probably won't be able to help you.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Okay I've read the linked posts and it sounds like my current ATA might work? I have a Grandstream HandyTone-286.

Although someone mentioned they kept one ATA for the home phone and one for the alarm? So I'd need to setup a new number with freephoneline or I'd program them both to the same number I'm already using with my Grandstream?

I did a simple test of removing my ATA from my home wiring and hooking it up to the alarm panel (Honeywell Vista) and it didn't work. Got the error code of no phone connection.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:05 pm
I likely won't be able to help you troubleshoot alarm systems. However, my point in posting the link is to show that a number of people are using them with VoIP services, including Freephoneline.
I have no clue what ATA you're using, but you might want to try a different DTMF mode. Try RFC2833. And then if that doesn't work, try Inband. You can also try disabling the echo canceller in your ATA and also the jitter buffer in the ATA.

You should be using the G.711u audio codec only.

Beyond that, I probably won't be able to help you.
Thanks again. I was reading and posting my reply above and didn't see this reply of yours. I haven't touched my ATA in 6 years. Is there a thread somewhere that shows how t configure them so I can test the settings you've recommended?

Cheers!

Edit: never mind I just googled it and will play around with some settings and post back results.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Okay, wow there are a ton of options! I don't know what any of them mean, but I'm good at following instructions and I'm decent overall techie wise.

Here is my current config. Is there anything I should be updating that jumps out for anyone?

Last edited by Ssseth on Jul 20th, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
So I did find a post saying they got it working with Grandstream HT486 and the HT502. I have the HT286. What is the difference between them? Is mine just a crappy/old non-compatible ATA perhaps? I'd still prefer of course to be cheap and just use this one if it is just a setting I have to change! Also I have a Vista (Honeywell) panel if that makes a difference.

https://www.bicomsystems.com/products/C/P/797/264/

ontario-only-free-installation-your-own ... #p27166801
kanata2004 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:51 pm
I use freephone line + Grandstream HT502 and it works great with my alarm company (ADT). Also I tried the Fido home phone (gsm based) and it works fine too. I went with Freephoneline way since no monthly cost. I tried FPL + Obi200 device and it works just fine too. Search RFD if you want know more obi200 and Freephoneline . There are thousands of posts.

You can make the alarm system work first and switch internet after.
ontario-only-free-installation-your-own ... #p27167499
kanata2004 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 7:27 pm
Right they didn't officially support, because they want sell their expensive GSM module to you.

It did work with voip. It doesn't work with all linksys voip modem I tried though.

So grandstream is the way to go with alarm. Tested with ht502. Other older ht286 ht386 ht486 should work too.
free-phone-line-grand-alarms-946314/2/#p26903989
kanata2004 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2016 6:25 am
Here I confirm freephoneline + Grandstream Ht486 works with ADT ( ex-Protecton).

Voip modem does make difference. Tried on linksys ata. Doesn't work.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Okay, so sorry for all the posts but I thought it best to document my searches here for anyone in the future who might be looking into something similar.

So I did find out that the GT286 does not have G.711u. At least it's not an option on the drop down menu that I could see. I only have G.729a/b which the HT286 config guide for FPL said should be set to PCMU as the first option and G.729a/b as the second option. Should I swap the G.729a/b as the first option and see if that works instead?

Could my problem be that the alarm companies need the G.711u protocol?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:57 pm
Should I swap the G.729a/b as the first option and see if that works instead?
No. In fact, it would be better to switch that entry to PCMU. Keep them all at PCMU, especially for alarm systems.
Could my problem be that the alarm companies need the G.711u protocol?
PCMU is G.711u

G.729a is an inferior, lossy codec.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 20th, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:45 pm
So I did find a post saying
This appears to be the latest firmware for your ATA: http://www.grandstream.com/sites/defaul ... 1.0.45.zip
I do not accept responsibility for failed firmware updates and/or bricked devices.

Ensure that your time zone is set correctly.

The rest of your settings are a complete mess. I have no clue how your ATA maintains registration with FPL.

Refer to the PDF guide here:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334

And then for settings that are missed, refer to the PDF guide here:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 839#p74658

Keep Alive Interval --> should be 20
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120
Register Expiration should be 3600

http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... redentials
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)