freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:57 pm
Okay, so sorry for all the posts but I thought it best to document my searches here for anyone in the future who might be looking into something similar.

So I did find out that the GT286 does not have G.711u. At least it's not an option on the drop down menu that I could see. I only have G.729a/b which the HT286 config guide for FPL said should be set to PCMU as the first option and G.729a/b as the second option. Should I swap the G.729a/b as the first option and see if that works instead?

Could my problem be that the alarm companies need the G.711u protocol?

I changed my voip modem and alarm company so I can't tell you the difference. Sorry.

Here are the two type modems I tried and it's working with Protecton alarm system recently (this year) .

1. Grandstream HT502 (works with any ISP with internet connection, dsl or cable). I can't remember HT486 works or not. Someone tried HT486 and update us here.
2. Edgewater 200a or 200aw ADSL2+ modem + router combo. (This ONLY works with ADSL2+ connection up to 15m/1m. I use Freephonline in this modem to do alarm dialout only. Works great).

NOT WORKING devices I tested: Cisco/Linksys SPA1000/2000 , PAP2/PAP2T, SPA2102
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:21 am
Don't post anything that shows your public IP address. Delete the first screenshot.
It was a 192.168.x.x which is the IP of the ATA, not my public IP? Anyway, removed. Thanks.
Webslinger wrote:
This appears to be the latest firmware for your ATA: http://www.grandstream.com/sites/defaul ... 1.0.45.zip
I do not accept responsibility for failed firmware updates and/or bricked devices.
Okay thanks I'll take a look.
Webslinger wrote:
Ensure that your time zone is set correctly.
It is.
Webslinger wrote:
The rest of your settings are a complete mess. I have no clue how your ATA maintains registration with FPL, much less, allows you to make calls at all.

Refer to the PDF guide here:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334

And then for settings that are missed, refer to the PDF guide here:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 839#p74658

Keep Alive Interval --> should be 20
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120
Register Expiration should be 3600

http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... redentials
Okay thanks, I'll play around with the settings then.

So Fongo is the same as FPL in essence right?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
[Edit: So I put all of them to PCMU and I did check the via SIP INFO box (along with all the other updates settings) and... success! So it looks like it was just my messed up settings then. I haven't tested with the alarm company yet, but the error code on my alarm panel that was showing no connection last time I tested isn't there anymore when I tested again with the updated settings... so something is working anyway!
/Edit]

Okay all done fixing the settings. To be honest I've had some random issues with it over the years but have never cared much since I barely ever use my home phone anymore. Anyway, if the settings have been messed up that probably explains it.

I'll leave the firmware upgrade as a last resort. A couple questions still.

So I used the two PDF guides (HT286 and HT701) and both say to leave 729A/B as the second option. You still recommend to put all of them to PCMU?

Also in the HT701 guide it says:
Preferred DTMF method: (in listing order)
◦ Priority 1: RFC2833
◦ Priority 2: In-audio
◦ Priority 3: SIP INFO

But on my HT286 all I can do is check three boxes (there is no priority option). The first guide shows only "RFC2833" and "In-audio" checked. Should I go ahead and check "SIP INFO" as well?

kanata2004 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 9:31 am
I changed my voip modem and alarm company so I can't tell you the difference. Sorry.

Here are the two type modems I tried and it's working with Protecton alarm system recently (this year) .

1. Grandstream HT502 (works with any ISP with internet connection, dsl or cable). I can't remember HT486 works or not. Someone tried HT486 and update us here.
2. Edgewater 200a or 200aw ADSL2+ modem + router combo. (This ONLY works with ADSL2+ connection up to 15m/1m. I use Freephonline in this modem to do alarm dialout only. Works great).

NOT WORKING devices I tested: Cisco/Linksys SPA1000/2000 , PAP2/PAP2T, SPA2102
No worries, thanks anyway for replying!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:24 pm
Also in the HT701 guide it says:
Preferred DTMF method: (in listing order)
◦ Priority 1: RFC2833
◦ Priority 2: In-audio
◦ Priority 3: SIP INFO

But on my HT286 all I can do is check three boxes (there is no priority option). The first guide shows only "RFC2833" and "In-audio" checked. Should I go ahead and check "SIP INFO" as well?

This has nothing to do with your alarm system, but use RFC2833 only if you do plan to use this phone modem manually occationally.

When you dial a company phone number (ie. your local bank), you need RFC2833 to dial an extension in grandstream (earlier) modems.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:09 pm
It was a 192.168.x.x which is the IP of the ATA, not my public IP?
My bad. I quickly glanced through your post when I was very tired last night.

So Fongo is the same as FPL in essence right?

Fibernetics owns Fongo and Freephoneline.

Freephoneline is not Fongo Home phone. Fongo Home phone is not Fongo Mobile.
They are not the same services. FPL and Fongo don't use the same servers (at least, they aren't the same IPs). And it costs money to port phone numbers between these services. They are not treated as being the same service. So, it's best not to get them confused.

Fibernetics, which owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo, is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada, and FPL/Fongo generates revenue from incoming phone calls or termination fees to its network in addition to the fees paid by its customers. The more phone calls made to their network, the more money they make. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.
However, they are run by, basically, by the same group of people.

They do want everyone to buy Fongo Home Phone instead of FPL though. $59.4+tax/yr ongoing vs. $79.95+tax lifetime
Obviously, there's more revenue from Fongo Home Phone over time.

Fibernetics also operates/owns Nucleus Information Service, Worldline.ca, 1011295.com, 295.ca, Vonix, NEWT, etc.

By the way, voip.ms uses Fibernetics as one its carriers.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 12:24 pm
[Edit: So I put all of them to PCMU and I did check the via SIP INFO box (along with all the other updates settings) and... success! So it looks like it was just my messed up settings then. I haven't tested with the alarm company yet, but the error code on my alarm panel that was showing no connection last time I tested isn't there anymore when I tested again with the updated settings... so something is working anyway!
/Edit]
Your ATA simply wasn't registered with Freephoneline because your settings (including registration timers) were messed up. Now that Freephoneline is registered in your ATA (with proper settings), it works.
Should I go ahead and check "SIP INFO" as well?
No. There's no need to be sending DTMF as SIP messages/headers.

So I used the two PDF guides (HT286 and HT701) and both say to leave 729A/B as the second option. You still recommend to put all of them to PCMU?
I do because G.729a sounds horrible and will decrease the likelihood of your alarm system working. It's a lower bandwidth, lossy codec.

That said, it shouldn't make a difference since it's the second preferred choice.
Your ATA when calling your alarm company should default to the 1st preferred choice of PCMU (G.711u).
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
I just wanted to document the working settings in case it helps anyone else out down the road. Thanks again for the help and replies, I appreciate it!

ATA: Grandstream HT286 ( HandyTone-286 )
Security provider: Protectron (now merging with ADT)
Alarm Panel: Honeywell Vista 15P
Working settings:

Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
So my next challenge will be going from the alarm panel to my phone house wiring, but that should be pretty simple. I assume I just have to wire it from the "handset" portion of the Vista panel to where the input used to be on my phone house wiring panel (not sure what it's called). The panel says to use the "brown" (21) and "gray" (22) for the handset wiring, but the input into my home phone panel was "green" (23) and "red" (24). I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the they are in the right order from the alarm panel to the home house panel? Interesting that they didn't ground it either (25) isn't connected to anything.

ImageImage

Another option I saw someone else post on was having two ATA's. One for the alarm and one for the home phone. Is that necessary or recommended?

Webslinger wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:27 pm
Your ATA simply wasn't registered with Freephoneline because your settings (including registration timers) were messed up.
Odd, because it has been working with my home phone for the last 6 years. I'd lose the connection a few times a month, but I never bothered checking the settings. Lesson learned I guess.
Last edited by Ssseth on Jul 21st, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:31 pm
I just wanted to document the working settings in case it helps anyone else out down the road.
It shouldn't be necessary for SIP info to be checked.

The second choice codec can be G.729a for the reason I explained above (although, I hate that codec so much I ensure there's no way I'll ever use it, so I disable it, as you have done). It's probably better to keep it disabled just to be safe with your alarm system.

Basically, the combination of these two official guides will do what you want:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16334
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 839#p74658
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:38 pm
Odd, because it has been working with my home phone for the last 6 years.
There's no way your ATA with FPL was working properly for you for an extended, uninterrupted period for incoming calls with those registration timers set so low.
Registration is required for incoming calls. It's not required for outgoing as long as the SIP username and password are correct.

More than 5 registration attempts within a 5 minute period results in a temporary IP ban.

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8

"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

These are the settings:

Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Failed Registration Re-Try Interval:120 seconds

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."
I'd lose the connection a few times a month, but I never bothered checking the settings. Lesson learned I guess. One thing I noticed is the phone used to beep-beep-beep before it got a steady dial tone and now when I pick it up the dial tone is there instantly.
You should always be checking registration FPL's registration status in your ATA when you have problems.

If you hear a stutter tone that usually indicates voicemail is waiting. After voicemail is deleted, it takes up to 10 minutes before a packet is sent from FPL's server to disable MWI (message waiting indicator) to make the stutter tone disappear.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:38 pm
So my next challenge will be going from the alarm panel to my phone house wiring
Unfortunately, this is the stuff I won't be able to help you with. Hopefully, someone else can.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:46 pm
There's no way your ATA with FPL was working properly for you for an extended, non-interruputable period for incoming calls with those registration timers set so low.
Registration is required for incoming calls. It's not required for outgoing as long as the SIP username and password are correct (and as long as you haven't been temporarily IP banned).

More than 5 registration attempts within a 5 minute period results in a temporary IP ban.

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8

"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

These are the settings:

Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Failed Registration Re-Try Interval:120 seconds

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

You should always be checking registration FPL's registration status in your ATA when you have problems.

If you hear a stutter tone that usually indicates voicemail is waiting. After voicemail is deleted, it takes up to 10 minutes before a packet is sent from FPL's server to disable MWI (message waiting indicator) to make the stutter tone disappear.
Thanks, not sure what to say except it worked for the most part but most of my usage was outgoing calls. The only incoming I'd ever get was spam or a doctor appointment or something and typically those all go to voicemail anyway and then I get emailed. It would go out from time to time, I was just too lazy to fix it since my wife and I both have cell phones that we could use if it went down. Now that I'm motivated to save some money though, that got me off my butt to take the time to fix it.

Ahhh the stutter tone is for voicemail. I never knew that, learn something new every day! :) I never delete my voicemails since I get them to my email and then I just delete the email.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Two port ata. One for me. Other is for alarm.jidy get a long enough phone cord, from phone2 port directly to alarm system.

Grandstrem ht502 is $50. 2 ports. That's all you need. Tested smg guarantee working.

You sell your old ht286 for $25.

The time you spent on it worths more than $25 for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 8:48 pm
Two port ata. One for me. Other is for alarm.jidy get a long enough phone cord, from phone2 port directly to alarm system.

Grandstrem ht502 is $50. 2 ports. That's all you need. Tested smg guarantee working.

You sell your old ht286 for $25.

The time you spent on it worths more than $25 for sure.
Great thanks for the advice. Agreed the cost is worth it since it will allow me to save $12 a month on a home phone line with Shaw.

Have you ever tried running from the panel to the home system? Or from the home system to the alarm panel? Or am I just asking for trouble that way?

Also is Grandstream still recommended if I'm buying new hardware? Apparently the hot new thing is Obihai.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Alarm installer give me a rj11 outlet where to plug phone cord from ht502.

Obihai obi202 works too but you won't like the price.

Ht502 is your best bet. It's proved working and it's cheap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)