Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 8:56 pm
Also is Grandstream still recommended if I'm buying new hardware? Apparently the hot new thing is Obihai.
Just to be clear, when you mentioned others buying an additional ATA, do you have a link? I'm a little tired and on pain killers right now, but the only reason I can think for doing that is because they bought another VoIP unlock key from Freephoneline to use separately from their home phone--and specifically for their alarm system. So, they're using one Freephoneline account for their home phone, and they're using another Freephoneline account for their alarm system. Only one FPL number is allowed per account. Each FPL account requires a different email address (with gmail, you may be able to use variations, such as johnsmith@gmail.com,
jo.hn.smith@gmail.com, and
john.smith@gmail.com though). And each FPL account costs $79.95 + tax for use with an ATA.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg-o ... #p27516035
fastlayne wrote: I use FPL and The Monitoring Center with an old DSC PC3000. I have two FPL numbers - one for the house phone system and one for the alarm.

I connected the DSC directly to a dedicated VOIP ATA. I did not want the DSC seizing my phone line and for $40 the extra ATA isolates any problems. If I needed to tweak the DSC ATA, I did not have to change my house phone ATA.

I had some problems initially with the useless Cisco SPA112, but have not had any problems with the Obi100.

(Disclaimer: I assume all risks in using VOIP for my alarm system. Thanks to everyone that is worried about my well being.)
Edit:
@Ssseth Buying another VoIP unlock key from Freephoneline costs $79.95+tax (FPL only allows one device registration per account at any given time). Let's work under the premise that each FPL account allows any combination of two simultaneous channels/calls (1 outgoing and 1 incoming; 2 incoming; or 2 outgoing). Regardless, most alarm system are going to be seizing a phone line anyway during an alarm event. While you'd be better off with a two phone port ATA so that when one port/line is seized you can use the other port/line to make an outgoing call, if you don't mind having not being able to use your home phone during an alarm event, you don't need to buy another ATA. If you need a phone jack splitter for use with your current ATA, a splitter will work (again, during an alarm event, with a single phone port ATA, if the line is completely seized, you won't be able to use FPL as a home phone). You can also wire your existing ATA so that all phone jacks work in your house (ensure that power from the telephone company is disconnected at the demarc):
(I won't be answering questions about this) visit http://www.voipmyhouse.com/#safestmethod and http://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg-o ... #p27069896.

If you decide to buy two FPL VoIP unlock keys and are concerned about both money (except for additional electrical costs) and features, I'd consider buying an OBi200 for the home phone and keep your existing Grandstream ATA for the alarm system. There's no way I'd pay any money for an inferior Grandstream ATA that can't route telemarketing calls elsewhere with FPL. (Also, I'm using a lot more VoIP services than just FPL.) I would then use voip2.freephoneline.ca for the OBi200 and use what you're currently using, voip.freephoneline.ca, for your Grandstream ATA.

If you buy a two phone port ATA, you don't need two ATAs.

Regardless of whether you decide you don't need two FPL VoIP unlock keys, you could get an OBi202, which does cost more than a HT502 and has a lot more features. While I haven't tested the capacity to use the second FPL channel to make an outgoing call during an alarm event, in theory, using a two phone port ATA should allow you to do this with one FPL VoIP unlock key. FWIW, regular prices for OBi200 (one phone port) is $69.99+tax from Newegg.ca and $99.99+tax for the OBi202 (two phone ports) from Newegg.ca:https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1 (avoid the OBi300 series since it doesn't support Google Voice, and the OBi100/110 series is discontinued and is no longer supported with future firmware development). The OBi200 and OBi202 have gone on sale before for $49.99+tax and $69.99+tax, respectively. But if you don't know why they're more powerful than any other ATAs intended for home use, then you probably don't need them. (And, in the end, it doesn't matter to me what you use. If you read through this guide, especially the telemarketer and Auto Attendant sections, you can probably figure out why I'm using an OBi202 with FPL: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p74624.)

If money is your primary concern, the HT502, as kanata2004, mentioned makes sense.

It should also be noted that if your power goes out--without a UPS--or if your internet service drops for any reason, your alarm system (and FPL) won't work either. It's a good idea to invest in a UPS: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6842101419 (this is just an example, you don't have to get this one or even buy one from Newegg).
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 21st, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7232 posts
365 upvotes
Just curious, did any of you recently get constant calls from a caller ID "Admin" ? I was getting those calls from caller ID 1,11,111, etc, and found a solution online to change the setting and stopped them. All the sudden, getting a bunch of these "Admin" calls on the weekend. Does anyone know how to stop it ? These are so annoying, worse and more frequent than those Air Duct Cleaning calls .........

Thanks

Note: It happened on Saturday, but nothing on Sunday. I am sure it will come back. Thus, looking for a solution before it happens again.......
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 10:13 am
Just curious, did any of you recently get constant calls from a caller ID "Admin" ?
No. And they aren't calls.
and found a solution online to change the setting
Possibly the method you used wasn't really a solution and more closely resembled a game of Whac-A-Mole.
If you answered the calls and don't see them in your FPL call log, they're SIP scanners: login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs.
You can stop them from following the instructions I posted for you before: need-help-keep-getting-calls-id-10000-m ... #p27132629.

And if they are listed in your FPL call log, they're robodialers, and you can still block them by following the Telemarketing section I posted for you awhile ago:
need-help-keep-getting-calls-id-10000-m ... #p27132629. Look at the instructions concerning blocking anonymous callers and apply them towards blocking Admin--if Admin isn't a SIP scanner. 99.9% of the time, Admin is a SIP scanner.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.39x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Dec 24, 2008
290 posts
6 upvotes
box
Gosh, years ago wanted to buy... it was 50$, now it's 80... Anyway got a sip account. For those with android you can get the APK here, plugin your details and works straight away.

http://nightlies.csipsimple.com/trunk/

playstore only has old version...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
georgiee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 2:44 am
Gosh, years ago wanted to buy... it was 50$, now it's 80... Anyway got a sip account. For those with android you can get the APK here, plugin your details and works straight away.

http://nightlies.csipsimple.com/trunk/

playstore only has old version...

FPL is intended for use as a home phone, with an ATA for example: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg-o ... x-2083622/. Since you mentioned price, if you just want to use the same outbound service with a different phone number (since FPL accounts aren't the same as Fongo Mobile accounts) on a smartphone, Fongo Mobile is cheaper. The disadvantage is being forced to use the Fongo Mobile app. One advantage is that Fongo Mobile supports SMS, whereas FPL doesn't. The RFD Fongo Mobile thread can be found at https://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged- ... e-1139985/.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 26th, 2017 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Interesting, I ever even thought about getting this on my mobile phone. Can I use the same number as my home line?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
Ssseth wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:37 pm
Interesting, I ever even thought about getting this on my mobile phone. Can I use the same number as my home line?
If you want to be able to dial into an OBi200 or OBi202 ATA from a cellphone or have the ATA call you back (great if you have a free incoming minute plan or have unlimited minutes) to get access to FPL's service (or any other service that's provisioned on an Obihai ATA), you can do that with an Obihai ATA's Auto Attendant feature: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0. This does not use cellular data. It uses regular cellular airtime. Obihai's Auto Attendant is pretty useful. I've also explained how to accomplish this in the OBi200/202 FPL setup guide located at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 624#p74624. Refer to page 23.

If you want to use data instead, you would use/buy a smartphone SIP app, such as Acrobits Groundwire, and provision your Freephoneline account on there, with the understanding that Freephoneline will not allow you to register the same account on multiple devices simultaneously. Only the most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. So if you're using an FPL account at home and register the same FPL account elsewhere (on a smartphone), your home phone will no longer ring for incoming calls. But you will be able to make outgoing calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls. It's required for incoming calls. This method uses either cellular data or Wi-Fi.

If you want incoming calls (and are not using the method outlined to block telemarketers with Obihai ATAs as described in the PDF guide) forwarded to your cellphone using regular cellular airtime, you can using Freephoneline's Follow Me feature: http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... Follow-Me-.

Fongo Mobile and FPL accounts are separate. You can not use an FPL number or account with Fongo Mobile. Fongo Mobile also uses cellular data or Wi-Fi.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there any possibility FPL start charging annually fee suddenly . The same company charge $9/month for their cloudatcost product which said "lifetime free" before.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 6:35 am
Is there any possibility FPL start charging annually fee suddenly .
Absolutely anything is possible. They haven't since 2009. And if they were going to, I'm sure they'd expect a flood of people like me to port out and gain a lot of public ill will at the same time.
They would have to expect to lose customers.

Regardless, I'd say the fee is monthly and already exists. It's $4.95+tax. And it's called Fongo Home Phone.

The same company
It's not the same company. Cloud At Cost is a subsidiary of Freephoneline's parent company, Fibernetics.
Fibernetics is the largest privately held CLEC in Canada, and also, part of its business is running SIP services for enterprise customers/businesses.

Maintaining cloud services/data servers for consumers is not necessarily the same as maintaining SIP servers that can be easily serviced
as a part of other Fibernetics' ventures, namely Fongo.

And my last point would be that Fibernetics makes money on each incoming call coming from outside its network. So Freephoneline generates some revenue from incoming calls. Conversely, (beyond the one-time fee), if Cloud At Cost doesn't charge annual or monthly fees, I fail to see how it can generate revenue on an ongoing basis.

What Cloud At Cost is doing is certainly not making Fibernetics look good, especially on Reddit and at dslreports. But Cloud At Cost is not the same
company as Freephoneline. Only the parent company is.
Last edited by Webslinger on Jul 27th, 2017 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2008
3448 posts
448 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 1:29 pm
If you want to be able to dial into an OBi200 or OBi202 ATA from a cellphone or have the ATA call you back (great if you have a free incoming minute plan or have unlimited minutes) to get access to FPL's service (or any other service that's provisioned on an Obihai ATA), you can do that with an Obihai ATA's Auto Attendant feature: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0. This does not use cellular data. It uses regular cellular airtime. Obihai's Auto Attendant is pretty useful. I've also explained how to accomplish this in the OBi200/202 FPL setup guide located at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 624#p74624. Refer to page 23.

If you want to use data instead, you would use/buy a smartphone SIP app, such as Acrobits Groundwire, and provision your Freephoneline account on there, with the understanding that Freephoneline will not allow you to register the same account on multiple devices simultaneously. Only the most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. So if you're using an FPL account at home and register the same FPL account elsewhere (on a smartphone), your home phone will no longer ring for incoming calls. But you will be able to make outgoing calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls. It's required for incoming calls. This method uses either cellular data or Wi-Fi.

If you want incoming calls (and are not using the method outlined to block telemarketers with Obihai ATAs as described in the PDF guide) forwarded to your cellphone using regular cellular airtime, you can using Freephoneline's Follow Me feature: http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... Follow-Me-.

Fongo Mobile and FPL accounts are separate. You can not use an FPL number or account with Fongo Mobile. Fongo Mobile also uses cellular data or Wi-Fi.
Sweet, that is great to know. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1244 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
Here is the e-mail Cloudatcost sent to me 100 times, keep asking me for $9 annual fee. I ask them to move one server from account to other account , so I can save $9/year maintenance fee, they took 2 months and still didn't do anything.

How hope FPL keep free and don't do this suicide thing in future.
To: me

Hello,

I would like to thank you for choosing us to host your servers.
As we value your business it is important to keep your account up to date.

You currently have an invoice that has not been paid.

If this invoice is not paid your service will be put in to a suspended state and deleted.

If you would like to cancel this server please let us know.
If you have any issues please contact us as this is an automated process.

To pay your invoice or to get help
Please login to our member site.
https://members.cloudatcost.com
Login Using your email address and password.

If you have problems logging in please use the Forgot Password option.
If you are having problems with our site or any other issues with billing please email support@cloudatcost.com

Thankyou for your business.
CloudAtCost
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 9:36 am

It's not the same company. Cloud At Cost is a subsidiary of Freephoneline's parent company, Fibernetics.
Fibernetics is the largest privately held CLEC in Canada, and also, part of its business is running SIP services for enterprise customers/businesses.

Maintaining cloud services/data servers for consumers is not necessarily the same as maintaining SIP servers that can be easily serviced
as a part of other Fibernetics' ventures, namely Fongo.

And my last point would be that Fibernetics makes money on each incoming call coming from outside its network. So Freephoneline generates some revenue from incoming calls. Conversely, (beyond the one-time fee), if Cloud At Cost doesn't charge annual or monthly fees, I fail to see how it can generate revenue on an ongoing basis.

What Cloud At Cost is doing is certainly not making Fibernetics look good, especially on Reddit and at dslreports. But Cloud At Cost is not the same
company as Freephoneline. Only the parent company is.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:55 pm
Here is the e-mail Cloudatcost sent to me 100 times, keep asking me for $9 annual fee.
Yeah, actually, I've been following the situation online at dslreports, reddit, etc. I don't feel the business models are similar.
I don't see where Cloud at Cost was generating ongoing revenue at all.

Fibernetics basically stopped pushing FPL, and started promoting Fongo Home Phone instead a number of years ago. And then there's also Fongo Mobile.
Fongo Mobile is basically free, except for its advertisements, and the FPL desktop app is free as well. I don't see a sudden rush to kill off Fongo Mobile or
the FPL desktop app, which are using the same network.

But, as I mentioned earlier, nothing is set in stone. I've never said FPL can't go under, for example--or that anything can't change. Many things in life are a bit
of a gamble.
Apr 20, 2017
20 posts
Thanks, Asuswrt Merlin. I have tried but UDP Timeout: Unreplied to 10, is not changed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7683 posts
2144 upvotes
FredrickG2 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 6:39 am
Thanks, Asuswrt Merlin. I have tried but UDP Timeout: Unreplied to 10, is not changed.

I have no clue what you're talking about. What isn't changed?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)