Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
The Obihai OBi200/OBi202 Freephoneline setup guide has been updated to version 1.51 and can be found here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
People trying to use VLAN with Asus routers to eliminate Bell Hubs should probably take a look.
Last edited by Webslinger on Aug 5th, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.51x) can be found here.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3116 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
umm... did FPL go down???

I haven't been able to dial in or our on my line all morning,

Using FPL with Obi200

FPL website shows my status as disconnected.

EDIT:

No clue what's going on here... haven't touched my settings in nearly 2 years. And now all of a sudden I can't connect to the FPL server through my Obi ATA. I just did a firmware update to 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX), but with no luck.

In the obitalk portal expert configurator for service status it's currently showing:
Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.44:5060)

... has the server address or port changed recently or something?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13554 posts
4330 upvotes
Gatineau
FPL is working here.

djino
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3116 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
damnit... what the hell could have changed by itself?

It's gonna be a long day trying to sort this out :(
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3365 posts
437 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:05 pm
damnit... what the hell could have changed by itself?

It's gonna be a long day trying to sort this out :(
It shouldn't take a day. Verify connectivity to the voip server by traceroute, FPL desktop app, phone app (e.g., csipsimple). Sometimes my fpl connection screws up, but a reboot of the adapter usually fixes it.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:13 am
umm... did FPL go down???
No.

(And FWIW, I never have to reboot my ATA. Refer to the UDP timeout section below).

This is where you can double check: http://status.fongo.com/.

What brand and model router are you using?

And are you able to ping Voip.freephoneline.ca?
No clue what's going on here... haven't touched my settings in nearly 2 years. And now all of a sudden I can't connect to the FPL server through my Obi ATA. I just did a firmware update to 3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX), but with no luck.
Not that it matters, but that's not the latest firmware version. Firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5695EX) is:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 3#msg82333.
In the obitalk portal expert configurator
You should not use that for anything other than provisioning Google Voice, imo.
Always check registration status in your ATA instead.
You'll see the same thing this time, but in the future, dial ***1, and enter the IP address you're told into your web browser.
Navigate to status-->System Status-->SP(FPL) Service Status-->Status to check registration status in the future.

For configuration, if you used the OBitalk web portal to configure your ATA, you need to continue using www.obitalk.com for now. Enter the expert menu (advanced configuration; it's an "E" icon).
The grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.
It appears when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

Otherwise, dial ***1, and enter the IP you're told into your web browser.

If you use the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA unless you disable Obitalk Provisioning first. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten (they will be transferred from your Obitalk.com account to your ATA) by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Afterwards, obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal if your Obihai ATA is using post-OAuth 2.0 firmware.

A few of the settings using the Obitalk FPL profile are wrong. Instead, you should be checking your settings using this PDF guide:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 836#p74836.
The notable settings that are not correct are listed on pages 5 and 6, but I encourage
you to go through the guide and check all of your settings anyway.

has the server address or port changed recently or something?
No.

From page 41 from the PDF guide found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p74794 . . .

Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 19). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegistrationRetryInterval should be 120. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you will end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to.

C. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need
need to use Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Xwrt-Vortext for Netgear R7000 routers should also offer those two UDP timeout settings, since it's supposed to be the same thing as Asuswrt-Merlin.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

D. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting data)–>ATA (in that order).

By the way, for step B, if you've been temporarily IP banned, you can try changing ProxyServer to voip2.freephoneline.ca or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.
Step D is always the proper device reboot order.
Last edited by Webslinger on Aug 12th, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
Jan 28, 2010
163 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Hi, My FPL account got deleted 2nd time (without unlock key). In past i just used to ensure that i receive a call in 90 days period but does not seem to be the case any more.
while looking further, i found that they now require to "make an outgoing call". is there a change in policy? I'm pretty sure that the condition was to get an incoming call in 90 days to keep the account active.

http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... t-deleted-
1) FreePhoneLine Accounts which have not been used to place an outgoing call for over 90 days are considered inactive and are subject to deletion
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
CanadaDealSeeker wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:10 pm
i found that they now require to "make an outgoing call". is there a change in policy?
No. FPL has had the 90 day outgoing call requirement for free accounts for years.

You may be confusing FPL's free account with Callcentric's free account, which did require an incoming call of at least 3 minutes duration.
Last edited by Webslinger on Aug 12th, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3116 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
@Webslinger Thank you SOOOO much for your step-by-step tutorial!! I updated my settings incorporating your recommended changes and now my service is back online!! I also updated the firmware to the latest build you noted above too.

@djino , @recordman , @CanadaDealSeeker thank you guys for your quick feedback today.

This is such a weight off my shoulders now.

Definitely keeping this setup tutorial PDF saved for easy access in the future!

Cheers fellas!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:11 pm
@Webslinger Thank you SOOOO much for your step-by-step tutorial!! I updated my settings incorporating your recommended changes and now my service is back online!!
The part below may have be of interest to you in the future (UDP timeouts). If you have a Mikrotik router, refer to recommendations-new-router-2115672/2/#p28056619, for instructions on how to change Assured and Unreplied UDP timeouts (the instructions I gave were just examples). The default UDP unreplied timeout (10s) in Mikrotik routers is fine.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Xwrt-Vortext for Netgear R7000 routers should also offer those two UDP timeout settings, since it's supposed to be the same thing as Asuswrt-Merlin.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3116 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting that you bring up mikrotik... I do have a RB750Gr3but haven't set it up yet. I bought it as part of my "home network overhaul" combined with a unifi AP AC LR. I bought this gear about 6 months ago :(

Unfortunately, I'm still running everything off of my (ancient) ASUS N66U router flashed with Merlin because I'm-- quite frankly --very scared to delve into setting up this mikotik router setup. I played around with it for a bit, but all this command line/winbox coding is waaaay over my head when it comes to scripts and stuff. I was hoping that the online community for the mikrotik would have been a bit more established to come across great setup tutorials like you've made for the OBihai 2xx + FPL

I'll definitely bookmark your post above for future reference when I grow a pair and switch over to the mikrotik ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:58 pm

Unfortunately, I'm still running everything off of my (ancient) ASUS N66U router flashed with Merlin
Okay, then that's great because Merlin is pretty decent for SIP services, including Freephoneline. The latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin (at the time of this post) is 380.67_0: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download. The two UDP timeout settings you want are located under General-->Tools-->Other settings. I use 10s for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117s for UDP Assured Timeout.

For SIP Passthrough (Under Advanced Settings-->WAN-->NAT Passthrough) use "Enabled+NAT helper."
Ensure that whatever modem/router combo your ISP may have given you is in bridge mode.

I also fixed some extremely minor issues in the OBi200/202 FPL guide. New download can be found here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Last edited by Webslinger on Aug 13th, 2017 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 28, 2010
163 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
Webslinger wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:24 pm
No. FPL has had the 90 day outgoing call requirement for free accounts for years.

You may be confusing FPL's free account with Callcentric's free account, which did require an incoming call of at least 3 minutes duration.
Thanks Websllnger. No im not confusing with callcentric. i think i remember you once posted that FPL makes money through incoming calls (correct me if im misquoting) ., that's why i thought incoming call is what is needed to keep account active,

and in the past i used FPL account solely for call forwarding and it remained active as long as i get the call within 90 days ... but somehow it is not working with my new account. Also, in past i used to get an email in 60 days that the account has not been used and will be deactivated if not used in next 30 days .. that is not happening either.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8181 posts
2410 upvotes
CanadaDealSeeker wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 6:53 pm
i think i remember you once posted that FPL makes money through incoming calls (correct me if im misquoting)
That's correct. They make money from termination fees from incoming calls originating outside Fibernetics' network.
that's why i thought incoming call is what is needed to keep account active
It's always been outgoing.

As for email notifications, I have no clue.
May 22, 2014
31 posts
22 upvotes
Saint-Laurent, QC
I followed Webslinger's guide for the OBI200 and most thing seems to work. I followed all the steps and configured the OBI200 through the ip address page.

I can't get Caller ID to work tho, both when I make a phone call (and the receiver only see my number) or when someone else is calling me (I only see their phone number). I did put my desired caller ID in the caller ID space in the SP voice profile.
Also, I get weird and loud metallic echoes/screeching on both sides when one (or both the receiver and the caller) uses speaker/hand free mode.

Thanks