• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:01 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3408 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
ArrowFlynn wrote: .
.Freephoneline doesn't offer free calling to the U.S. Many people on RFD with Google Voice numbers just use Google Voice instead for U.S. calling with Obihai ATAs (2xx series has been discontinued) or IP Phones.
Actually Obihai is still selling the 200 series ATAs. Poly (Used to be called Polycom), who own Obihai announced last month that the series will go end-of-life in December 2023.

You can buy them in Canada from Amazon or from Newegg - some local VOIP providers also offer it for sale, though I don't know whether those are locked to their respective providers.

Of course just because they stop selling and supporting the ATA doesn't mean that Google Voice is going anywhere and I've done a cursory search and find nothing anywhere from Google that suggests that they would be terminating the service. I use GV for US calling from my home phone system and I have Textnow's app on my phone and can use it from a browser if necessary.

Then there's (admittedly poor quality) phone calling available from my Nest devices,
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9570 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
My 2 lines of FPL both have problem to call in, but call out is fine. How to solve the problem? Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: Actually Obihai is still selling the 200 series ATAs.
They are not making them anymore. Once stock is gone, it's gone.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi212
"End of Sale date is December 18, 2021 (as supplies last)"

They are not available from authorized sellers.
Poly (Used to be called Polycom), who own Obihai announced last month that the series will go end-of-life in December 2023.
The announcement was made in December 2021. We're in March 2022.

You can buy them in Canada from Amazon
No, you can't, currently. Do a search.
More importantly, they are not available on amazon.ca nor Amazon.com (US) from an authorized seller.

The only in-stock Newegg Canada listings are from third party marketplace sellers. The warranty will not be honoured by Obihai/Poly.

Not a Canadian authorized seller and ships from China

OBi202 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

OBi200 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

OBi212 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

The only authorized sellers in Canada are Amazon (if sold by Amazon), Obihai (on Amazon), Newegg (if the seller is Newegg), and Acrovoice. Nothing is available.

OBi302, which is not from the 2xx series, is available from Acrovoice. You can use Google Voice on it if you use naf's modded firmware: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792 ... mware-mods. The OBi3xx series is not discontinued.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 10th, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3408 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
ArrowFlynn wrote: They are not making them anymore. Once stock is gone, it's gone.

"End of Sale date is December 18, 2021 (as supplies last)"

They are not available from authorized sellers.

The announcement was made in December 2021. We're in March 2022.

No, you can't, currently. Do a search.
More importantly, they are not available on amazon.ca nor Amazon.com (US) from an authorized seller.

The only in-stock Newegg Canada listings are from third party marketplace sellers. The warranty will not be honoured by Obihai/Poly.

Not a Canadian authorized seller and ships from China

OBi202 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

OBi200 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

OBi212 out of stock (authorized seller is Newegg)

The only authorized sellers in Canada are Amazon (if sold by Amazon), Obihai (on Amazon), Newegg (if the seller is Newegg), and Acrovoice. Nothing is available.

OBi302, which is not from the 2xx series, is available from Acrovoice. You can use Google Voice on it if you use naf's modded firmware: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792 ... mware-mods. The OBi3xx series is not discontinued.
So, you CAN still buy them (and Voipsupply, an official partner reports they have inventory of the 202 and 1022, so you would get a warranty if you purchased from them) and they will work just fine. As of December 2023 the remote configuration tool at Obitalk will stop working, but as far as anyone knows Google Voice will keep on running.

I'm not certain why you chose to read more into what I wrote than the words that appeared in my post. But until they sell out, they are available new, and if you buy from an unofficial provider they will work - and while Poly may, or may not honour the warranty, my credit card company provides warranty extension services, so there is a work-around, not that I'd indicated anything about bonafides.

In any case, these things are fairly bulletproof - The units I have installed, and which family and friends have also had running over the last 8 years have had zero issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: So, you CAN still buy them
The original statement I made is that they are discontinued. They are discontinued; they are no longer being produced.

You then replied, with "Actually..." and that they can be bought from Amazon (you can't) and Newegg (you can't, unless you trust unauthorized third party marketplace sellers from China or Hong Kong that are price gouging).

By the way, I have some collectible products that are still in shrink-wrapped boxes. I could list them for sale on Amazon. That doesn't mean those products aren't discontinued. They are.

and Voipsupply, an official partner

VoIPsupply is based in New York.
Shipping an OBi300 to Ontario from them, by the way, is $56.63 just for shipping alone.

reports they have inventory of the 202
They list the OBi202 only for the discontinued OBi2xx ATA series, and when you try adding 1 to cart, "the requested quantity is not available."
https://www.voipsupply.com/manufacturer ... 2-port-fxs

So, no, you can't buy OBi2xx series ATAs from them, since they don't have stock available, despite what their product page listing indicates.
and 1022, so you would get a warranty if you purchased from them
OBi1022, which I wasn't referring to when I mentioned that the OBi2xx series is discontinued, is an IP phone (the wrong product picture is displayed at voipsupply's website, currently) and not a part of the OBi2xx ATA series.

As of December 2023 the remote configuration tool at Obitalk will stop working
Obitalk will remain. Provisioning and configuring Google Voice on an OBi2xx series ATA using Obitalk won't be possible.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... #msg111204
dircom wrote: From Poly support:

Is the Obi Dashboard going away for all devices on Dec 18 2023 or just the ones mentioned in the notice?

Answer: No. OBiTALK portal will remain, to allow customers to register with other 3rd party VoIP Service Providers.

Can you clarify the *** Important notice to OBiTALK customers*** ?

Answer: OBi2xx ATA Device Series End-of-Life (EOL) will be at end of December 2023. Afterwards, no longer supported and troubleshooting info can be found at OBiTALK Forum if needed.

Will Google voice continue to work (on devices previously configured) at least until /unless Google Voice requires some sort of firmware update?

Answer: Yes.

While this contradicts the wording used (very last sentence) in the End of Life (EOL) notice, Mario at Poly technical support also confirmed that the local provisioning and configuration statement in the EOL notice only applies to provisioning and configuring Google Voice using official Obihai firmware at Obitalk.
fredsmith wrote:I'm not certain why you chose to read more into what I wrote
I quoted exactly what I was responding to every time.
and while Poly may, or may not honour the warranty
They won't if the purchase wasn't made from an authorized seller. It's not debatable. I've helped someone with that process before for a faulty power adapter.

my credit card company provides warranty extension services, so there is a work-around
The only options they could possibly offer, provided you are fortunate enough to have them overlook the fact that it's not sold by an authorized seller, which is one of the conditions of having the original warranty honoured, is to issue you a refund or a replacement with a different product for equal or lesser value. It's not as though you're going to easily find another brand new OBi2xx series ATA in Canada without looking on kijiji, ebay, or from third party marketplace sellers since the OBi2xx series is discontinued.
In any case, these things are fairly bulletproof - The units I have installed, and which family and friends have also had running over the last 8 years have had zero issues.
At least one of mine has lasted since 2012. rui had an OBi200 die though.
freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p35694898
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 11th, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12716 posts
25640 upvotes
Montreal
Don't mess with "ArrowFlynn". He knows his stuff!

Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3408 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
Temporel wrote: Don't mess with "ArrowFlynn". He knows his stuff!
I didn't say they were still manufacturing them, but that doesn't change the fact that you can still get them - perhaps only from gray market vendors, but considering how robust they are, for me that wouldn't be a barrier. And should one fail and if it is within the credit card coverage period, but outside that of OBI/Poly, you should be able to get the card company to either reimburse the cost or cover the repair.

They will keep working and you will be able to keep using them after December 2023. But you'll need to use the built in web server manage GV locally. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

I'm more concerned about whether GV will continue to support the ATA, though I have lots of other resources available beyond Google Voice for my US calling. I now want to look at getting a Euro number from GV as well.
Last edited by fredsmith on Mar 12th, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: I didn't say they were still manufacturing them, but that doesn't change the fact that you can still get them -
People can buy tons of unsupported (often used) and discontinued ATAs in general. There’s no advantage, unless there’s a cost savings.

Instead people can buy a brand new and supported OBi3xx series ATA that can, for now, use Google Voice if they use naf’s modded firmware. Provided you don’t completely brick the device, it is possible to flash back to official firmware before making a warranty claim with Poly. Acrovoice sells OBi302 (and others if you ask), and it’s a reputable source, as opposed to hoping someone or some third party marketplace seller (which could be anyone) doesn’t ship you a broken, used, or refurb OBi2xx product. The seller shipping from Hong Kong on Newegg has 88% feedback, and the one from China has no feedback yet. I know what I wouldn’t do.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 12th, 2022 11:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Don't mess with "ArrowFlynn". He knows his stuff!
I appreciate the support (thanks), but I’m not really into one-upmanship (although I’m sure I have bad moments). There’s enough stress and problems in the world right now without dunking on people.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
porksoda wrote: Looks like incoming for fpl is not working outside of fpl/fongo network. i.e fpl/fongo can place a call to a fpl number but outside bell/rogers/etc cannot make a call to fpl number.
Telus to FPL is working fine.

Connect your ATA directly to your modem/router combo or gateway briefly while it’s in bridge mode (or to your modem if it’s just a modem) and test with incoming calls to rule out a firewall or SIP ALG issue.

Power cycle the ATA before testing.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
ArrowFlynn wrote: Telus to FPL is working fine.

Connect your ATA directly to your modem/router combo or gateway briefly while it’s in bridge mode (or to your modem if it’s just a modem) and test with incoming calls to rule out a firewall or SIP ALG issue.

416 number or 905? number of people are reporting same... it does not even go to voicemail it says number is not in service.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
porksoda wrote: 416 number or 905? number of people are reporting same... it does not even go to voicemail it says number is not in service.
Multiple 416 numbers

I called four FPL numbers. They all work. People were annoyed I called so late. Oops

I would connect your ATA directly to your modem/router combo or gateway briefly while it’s in bridge mode (or to your modem if it’s just a modem) and test with incoming calls to rule out a firewall or SIP ALG issue.

If it matters I know at least two FPL accounts are registered on voip2.freephoneline.ca and another account is registered on voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, but if you have to switch proxy servers in order to get things working again, chances are you were temporarily IP banned or ran into a UDP timeout issue.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
ArrowFlynn wrote: Multiple 416 numbers

I called four FPL numbers. They all work. People were annoyed I called so late. Oops

I would connect your ATA directly to your modem/router combo or gateway briefly while it’s in bridge mode (or to your modem if it’s just a modem) and test with incoming calls to rule out a firewall or SIP ALG issue.

If it matters I know at least two FPL accounts are registered on voip2.freephoneline.ca and another account is registered on voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, but if you have to switch proxy servers in order to get things working again, chances are you were temporarily IP banned or ran into a UDP timeout issue.
I hear you, but even if it was rtr/mdm issue or registration issue atleast you would get voicemail? I get number not in service. Even on the portal incoming calls do not show at all.
have tried voip2, 4 etc.
Outgoing works fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
porksoda wrote: I hear you, but even if it was rtr/mdm issue or registration issue atleast you would get voicemail?
With lack of registration, you should get voicemail.

By the way, I ran into this: https://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 182#p78916.

SIP ALG (called SIP Passthrough) is Asus router was affecting incoming Rogers carrier calls: https://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 182#p78916.

Even on the portal incoming calls do not show at all.
FPL's call logs don't show events that aren't answered in some manner (including voicemail). So, if the caller hangs up before the call is picked up by the voicemail system or by the callee, nothing is shown in FPL's call log.

1. Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser.
2. Log into the ATA (default username and password are "admin" without quotation marks).
3. Navigate to Status-->Call Status
If the call isn't listed, it's not reaching the ATA.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 15th, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
thanks. its been running for 10+ years, nothing has changed and only today getting number not in service. I bet it will start working on its own in a day or so - or ill port it out somewhere else.

I am registered, i can call out and talk, just incoming calls says number is not in service and no voicemail.

I should disable the ata and see if i get voicemail to narrow down rtr issue, but i don't think it would be rtr issue.

The call log would say no answer from user, or user busy, or Normal call clearing.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
porksoda wrote: thanks. its been running for 10+ years, nothing has changed
Yes, I think a bunch of FPL users have been around since 2010. Not changing anything doesn't matter if the ISP, Rogers, for example, suddenly does a firmware update in the user's Hitron gateway and re-enables SIP ALG without the user's knowledge.

The Asus issue I raised is a SIP Passthrough/ALG router setting that never mattered until some point in 2021 when FPL's switch vendor performed a call platform migration. Then SIP Passthrough needed to be disabled: https://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 182#p78916.

Before 2021, that setting in Asus routers never mattered with FPL for incoming calls from Rogers carrier numbers.
I am registered, i can call out and talk
Registration isn't required for outgoing calls. Registration is required for incoming calls.

The call log would say no answer from user, or user busy, or Normal call clearing.
Nothing is recorded in FPL's call log at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs if the call isn't answered in some way. If I call and hang up before voicemail picks up, nothing is shown.

1. Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser.
2. Log into the ATA (default username and password are "admin" without quotation marks).
3. Navigate to Status-->Call Status

If the call isn't listed, it's not reaching the ATA.
incoming calls says number is not in service
I would have expected a 503 SIP error code in your case.

That's an unnerving error ("not in service") to receive, but I would be less concerned about your account being deleted or someone porting out your number, for instance, if incoming Fongo Mobile and FPL calls work for you. Those (FPL to FPL) are SIP URI calls.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 15th, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
ArrowFlynn wrote: I would have expected a 503 SIP error code in your case.

That's an unnerving error ("not in service") to receive, but I would be less concerned about your account being deleted or someone porting out your number, for instance, if incoming Fongo Mobile and FPL calls work for you. Those (FPL to FPL) are SIP URI calls.

If the problem occurs when the ATA is connected directly to a modem gateway or hub (while it's in bridge mode), the problem probably has nothing to do with anything on your end. A ticket would need to be submitted ("my account inquiry"). I would then tell them that you suspect an interconnect carrier problem that they need to fix.

An easier way to test might be with Fongo Mobile. Test while connected to your router's Wi-Fi. Then test an incoming call from Rogers carrier to Fongo Mobile while on cellular data (not Wi-Fi). Cellular data would bypass your router. If the problem can be reproduced while on cellular data, submit a ticket as a Fongo Mobile customer. I would then tell them that you suspect an interconnect carrier problem that they need to fix. Fongo is more likely to respond to a Fongo Mobile ticket than an FPL ticket. I'm reading that they can take up to a week now to respond to tickets.
Fongo app works fine whether via mobile data or lan internet... i dont use an ata per se.

I tried a few 416 numbers some work some dont, 647 numbers all work.

More than likely some sort of issue at their end.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1306 posts
1486 upvotes
porksoda wrote: Fongo app works fine whether via mobile data or lan internet... i dont use an ata per se.
I thought you were using an OBi200.

Are you using an IP Phone or Freepbx?
Smartphone SIP app?

Are you trying to register the same FPL account on multiple devices at the same time?
I tried a few 416 numbers some work some dont, 647 numbers all work.

More than likely some sort of issue at their end.
Could be routing channel congestion, but I'm not able to get incoming calls to fail on at least four accounts. I could try more, but it's late, and I'm not getting paid to do this. I think I've tested enough.

What proxy server are you using for registration? I could try voip.freephoneline.ca. I think that's the only one I didn't use.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Mar 15th, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)