Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
steadead1 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:44 pm
I can't get Caller ID to work tho, both when I make a phone call (and the receiver only see my number)
1) Your CNAM information must be entered at Voice Services–>SP(FPL) Service-->Calling Features-->CallerIDName. Refer to pages 28 and 29 from the PDF guide at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Based on your post, you've done this, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

2) Telus Mobility, Bell Mobility, and their subsidiaries do not support CNAM (Caller ID Name). Unless your phone number and corresponding name are in the recipient's cellphone contact list, your name may not appear on incoming calls with those services. If it does, CNAM info is simply being pulled from the contact list in the smartphone. CNAM working correctly is not guaranteed with cellular services.

So testing using Public Mobile (a subsidiary of Telus Mobility), for example, is useless since CNAM doesn't work with Public Mobile at all.

3) Dial *82 to ensure outgoing Caller ID is unblocked:
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiFeatureStarCodes.pdf

4) If you want to test properly, use the free Fongo Mobile smartphone app and make calls to it: https://www.fongo.com/ using Freephoneline. Make sure you delete your FPL # in your smartphone's address book before testing. Outgoing CNAM from FPL will appear in the Fongo Mobile app if your ATA is configured properly.
or when someone else is calling me (I only see their phone number)
From th PDF guide found at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839 . . .

"Why am I not receiving Caller ID Name information on all incoming calls?

CNAM lookups are dependent upon your VoIP service provider--and not the Obihai ATA.

Freephoneline doesn't do CNAM lookups (I.E., Freephoneline doesn't lookup the name of the caller, using the incoming phone number, in an external database). Unless CNAM is being sent by the call provider, which often is not the case with cellular calls, only the phone numbers are going to appear. CNAM lookups cost money, and for a moderately priced one time fee, FPL isn't going to do CNAM lookups.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 68&p=25678 (a lot of replies in that thread are incorrect; CNAM will show up if it's sent by the provider)
"Just a reminder, as has been provided in other threads, when the call display feature is enabled, it will only show the information that is being sent by the provider. If that provider only sends a number, we can only display a number. This is especially common for cell phone providers and a number of digital service providers."--Fongo_mike"

So, with an incoming call to your FPL #, an incoming phone number will appear on your callerid, but a name only shows if that info is also sent by the provider. Other VoIP services typically charge a fee per call to do a lookup in a CNAM database (phone number is queried for a name in a database). FPL doesn't offer that option. If CNAM info is passed on by the provider, FPL will display CNAM."

5) If you want to test incoming CNAM, then test by using the Fongo Mobile smartphone app, and call your FPL phone number, configured on an Obihai ATA, using Fongo Mobile. In the Fongo Mobile app, before making a call to your FPL#, under Account-->Settings--> Phone Service-->Caller ID, put a name in there. And make sure "Show My Caller ID" is enabled. Possibly you may need to pay to remove ads from Fongo Mobile to get access to the option to add an outgoing CID Name: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... from-Fongo.

If Fongo Mobile's outgoing CNAM is not showing up on incoming calls to your FPL number, login to your ATA and navigate to Status-->Call History. If incoming CNAM from Fongo Mobile shows up in the ATA's Call History, then there's some compatibility issue between the ATA and your specific phone. And if that's the case, you may want to check out my replies to frankw over here: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p26942133.
Also, I get weird and loud metallic echoes/screeching on both sides when one (or both the receiver and the caller) uses speaker/hand free mode.
It's not clear to me whether this issue is on your end or the caller's. Test by calling your smartphone. Keep the smartphone far away from the speaker on the other (FPL/Obihai attached) phone when testing. Otherwise, you will get feedback/screeching.

Anyway these are things I would try:

A) Lower speaker volume on your phone. I suspect outgoing speaker volume is too loud and feeding back into the mic, which would result in the noise you're hearing.

B) Try adjusting volume levels in the ATA.

Navigate to Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port-->

ChannelTxGain
ChannelRxGain

ChannelRXGain is for outgoing volume (mic). ChannelTXGain is for incoming volume (earpiece).
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 4#msg64084

Default for ChannelTXGain is -2. To me it just makes more sense to adjust volume on the handset.

ChannelRXGain default is -1. You could try lowering that value a bit further and testing.

C) Try a different phone

D) Possibly try a different power supply for the ATA

If the screeching continues, then you may want to consider the possibility that the ATA is defective.

Should you require further assistance, and if no one else here responds further, refer to the last page of the PDF guide, and try asking on the Obihai forums and at dslreports. You can also try contacting Obihai support.
Last edited by Webslinger on Aug 23rd, 2017 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3089 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
So, the latest quirk with FPL (I'm not sure if it's related to my last issues on Aug 12, when my line stopped working all of a sudden). But I've since followed @Webslinger PDF tutorial and now having issues with my local voicemail. I really don't know what could have changed.

Incoming and outgoing calls work flawlessly since I followed the tutorial.... however, for some odd reason any incoming calls that try to leave a voicemail, all I hear when I try to play the message back is beeping for the duration of the message until the caller finishes their message and hangs up.

I use a Panasonic cordless DECT set of 3 phones in my house, whereby there is an integrated voicemail function in the main base station. I have my FPL voicemail set to 5 rings and my Panasonic set to 4 rings; to ensure that incoming calls hit my panasonic voicemail before FPL. This setup has worked flawlessly for years until things all of a sudden changed earlier this month.

So now, it goes something like this:
- incoming call rings 4 times, panasonic base station answers calls and plays recorded message.
- caller hears custom message clearly and waits for tone before beginning message
- caller leaves message, while the base station's speaker simultaneously plays beeps during the entire recorded message (caller does not hear beeping noise on their end while leaving message. When this previously worked; caller's message could be heard through base station speaker)
- caller ends message by hanging up
- I then go to play the message back, and hear the same beeping that was heard during the live recording.

To troubleshoot, i turned off my pansonic voice mail and allowed the call to ring 5 times, hitting FPL's voice mail service. Left a message. Called in and was able to retrieve that message and hear my voice clearly.

So, it's really something between my obihai 200 and my panasonic base unit. I'm guessing some kinds of codec issue or hand off? Is there a difference between a phone call's codec and a voicemail's codec?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 9:39 am
To troubleshoot, i turned off my pansonic voice mail and allowed the call to ring 5 times, hitting FPL's voice mail service. Left a message. Called in and was able to retrieve that message and hear my voice clearly.

So, it's really something between my obihai 200 and my panasonic base unit. I'm guessing some kinds of codec issue or hand off? Is there a difference between a phone call's codec and a voicemail's codec?

I have zero clue what's causing this, but it has nothing to do with codec. G.711u is being used, which is the same as POTS (plain old telephone service).

Do you have follow me enabled? If so, disable it for testing purposes: https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings.
Voicemail settings can be found here: https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings.

The first step is to figure out where the beeping noises are coming from. Normally, when people mention weird beeping noises with VoIP, I think of DTMF talkoff, but your description makes that unlikely. Does the beeping sound like a steady busy signal? I wonder if your answering machine is somehow flashing the line twice (as you would in order to place a 3 way call).
Edit: Do you have voicemail waiting for you on FPL's voicemail system? Call *98 (if you followed my guide correctly). Delete all voicemail. Wait 10 minutes for the beeping tones (which indicates voicemail is waiting on FPL's system) to clear. Then test again. Anyway, if you have voicemail waiting for you on FPL's voicemail system that could reasonably explain why there's beeping noises. But as for why the beeping tone is heard while your Panasonic answering machine's voicemail is playing, I have no clue.

I use FPL's voicemail system (I vastly prefer it to the Panasonic ones I have at home), so I doubt I'm going to able to help you. For starters, FPL's voicemail answers incoming faxes. And I can check FPL's voicemail using a local call in various locations in Canada: https://www.freephoneline.ca/vmAccessNumbers. Lastly, not using FPL's voicemail seems like a lost cause to me since
FPL's voicemail kicks in automatically when your internet service drops or when you lose registration to FPL's proxyserver anyway.

Someone else is probably going to have to help you. Maybe Pianoguy would know the answer.
Last edited by Webslinger on Sep 6th, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 9:39 am
- caller leaves message, while the base station's speaker simultaneously plays beeps during the entire recorded message (caller does not hear beeping noise on their end while leaving message. When this previously worked; caller's message could be heard through base station speaker)
- caller ends message by hanging up
- I then go to play the message back, and hear the same beeping that was heard during the live recording.
Only thing I found was this: http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/ans ... -kx-hnb600
and
http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/ans ... unit-beeps.

Not terribly helpful
Dec 6, 2011
303 posts
130 upvotes
Montreal
Hi, I have experience call disconnecting after 20 min call. This happened a few time. I have a cable modem and a TP-link router.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
shan52 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:09 pm
Hi, I have experience call disconnecting after 20 min call. This happened a few time. I have a cable modem and a TP-link router.
The following instructions apply.

I'm getting choppy audio, what should I do?

Generally speaking it's best to have a decent router for VoIP with strong QoS features.
Stick your ISP's modem in bridge mode, use your own router, and properly enable QoS for your ATA.
Refer to your router's manual.

I'm not a big fan of this site, but for a general QoS description, visit http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm (avoid anything it says about G729 codec).

FPL's SIP servers are in Ontario. When you test (below), pick the location that is closest to your VoIP service provider's server location.
sfrancis wrote:
Mar 30th, 2016 11:28 pm
Have been using freephoneline with obihai 202 behind Asus RT N66U router. Often time people complain that my voice very choppy on their end, yet I seem to hear them fine. Is there setting that I should tweak on ATA set up or on router? Thanks very much
That's usually related to upload jitter/packet loss.

1) The typical reaction would be to try enabling QoS properly in your router for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual.

Probably in the traffic manager area, use a drop down box to select "User Defined Rules". Then create a rule giving traffic highest priority to your ATA's MAC address.

2) Another possibility is you're dealing with congestion during prime time (8p.m. to midnight, especially on Sundays). That's an ISP issue (possibly oversold its service in your area).

Try running Running http://vac.visualware.com/index.html at 8p.m. (especially on Sunday).

Pick the test location that's closest to where your VoIP server is situated.
A MOS score below 4.0 is bad news. It means call quality will not be good.
The advanced (+) tab provides interesting info.

You can also try http://voiptest.8x8.com/voip.php?voipli ... codec=g711.
You want all the test results to be green. This test uses Java.

You should also try the winmtr test I mention over here around 8 p.m. to FPL's servers:
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27515963

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

One reason why jitter can occur is due to other devices on your LAN (local area network) using bandwidth. That’s why properly enabling QoS in your router for your ATA is always a good idea. Refer to point 4 in the Preamble.

Bad jitter can produce broken up audio or choppiness during phone calls. Severe jitter can cause calls to drop (especially severe packet loss). Ping affects delay.

If the problem only occurs during prime time (as opposed to weekday mornings), then I would probably start thinking your ISP is to blame.

Navon01 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:17 pm
The Internet is 100down/10up.
Down doesn't matter. What people hear from you is upload.
No other devices are being used at time of bad voice quality.
A lot of people say that without realizing other devices and/or programs may actually be using bandwidth in the background. It's really not a good idea, in general, to be using a router that doesn't have a good QoS feature for VoIP.

But if what you wrote is really true, then you may be dealing the possibility of congestion during prime time (8p.m. to midnight, especially on Sundays). That's an ISP issue (possibly oversold its service in your area).

Try running http://vac.visualware.com/index.html at 8p.m. (or between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.)

Select a test server location that's located close to the SIP server you're using.
A MOS score below 4.0 is bad news. It means call quality will not be good.

You should also try the winmtr test (or if you're on a mac, maybe this helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/TagPro/comment ... tr_on_mac/) I mention over here around 8 p.m. to FPL's servers:
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27515963

If the problem only occurs during prime time (as opposed to weekday mornings), then I would probably start thinking your ISP is to blame.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3430 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
SIP Status: connected
SIP User Agent:Media5-fone/4.23.5.11414 Android/6.0.1

Anyone is using media5fone android app? I set it up with FPL on my brother's phone but the app is keeping refreshing, according to the status on FPL website, it is connected. Any advice or any app ?
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
rui wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 3:45 pm

Anyone is using media5fone android app?
I don't. I use Groundwire with iOS.
I set it up with FPL on my brother's phone but the app is keeping refreshing
Sorry, I don't understand. What's the problem?
according to the status on FPL website
Registration status from the website isn't that useful since the status typically lags behind what's actually going on in the device.
Any advice
Keep in mind that FPL only allows one device registration per account at any given time. You can't register the same account on multiple devices. Only the most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls.

Registration Interval/Expiry needs to be 3600 s (1 hr). If you make more than 5 registration attempts within a 10 minute period, you may find yourself temporarily IP banned.

By the way, Fongo Mobile is basically the same thing as registering FPL on a SIP app on a smartphone.

Anyway, if you want specific help with media5fone, someone else will probably need to help you.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3430 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, Webslinger, I installed Zoiper and it works now.

When I described "keeping refreshing", it's like you refresh a web page every second, and there is no chance to get control of the app, I had to close it.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
rui wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 8:23 pm
When I described "keeping refreshing", it's like you refresh a web page every second, and there is no chance to get control of the app, I had to close it.
Wow, that's nuts. Sorry, I don't use that app, so I'm not sure what would cause that. Maybe try contacting the developer
Jan 16, 2016
63 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Can I have more than one phone number/FPL account? Or does each phone number need its own account?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
totti07 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 3:45 pm
does each phone number need its own account?
Yes. And each account requires a new email address.

If you're trying to get free numbers without paying for a VoIP unlock key each time (or paying the porting fee), you may want to refer to point #3 from https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... nt-deleted. If you're paying for each FPL account, then #3 doesn't apply. A number of people have multiple VoIP unlock keys from FPL.
Jan 16, 2016
63 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Webslinger wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:34 pm
Yes. And each account requires a new email address.

If you're trying to get free numbers without paying for a VoIP unlock key each time (or paying the porting fee), you may want to refer to point #3 from https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... nt-deleted. If you're paying for each FPL account, then #3 doesn't apply. A number of people have multiple VoIP unlock keys from FPL.
Thanks for the reply. I intend on purchasing voip unlock keys and transferring numbers to FPL for all 3 accounts. Was just hoping I could link them all to one account
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8010 posts
2351 upvotes
totti07 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:57 am
Thanks for the reply. I intend on purchasing voip unlock keys and transferring numbers to FPL for all 3 accounts. Was just hoping I could link them all to one account
I'm not sure if you're planning to use all 3 accounts with the same IP address. If you are (and don't have SIP ALG issues), I suggest not using the same ProxyServer for each account to help avoid temporary IP ban issues. That is, if you attempt for than 5 registrations within 5 minutes, you may be temporarily IP banned. If you have 3 accounts and are rebooting devices when configuring them (or for anything else), those registration limitations may be used up rather quickly:

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

So, if you're using all 3 accounts from the same IP address, I suggest using voip.freephoneline.ca for one account, voip2.freephoneline.ca for the second account, and voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the third account. If you have no other choice but to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 due to SIP ALG issues, then you may run into the temporary IP ban issue described above.

Lastly, and I have no clue if this applies to you, but strictly speaking, using Freephoneline for business purposes breaks its Terms of Service (just thought you might want to know).
Apr 29, 2014
594 posts
100 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Guys,
I disconnected my Obihai 200 for a few months because I was getting a lot of spam calls... I recently reconnect my Obiha back and still getting tons of random number and private calls...
Can you direct me where to get this fix?

I did the setup via ObiTalk.