Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
nightwalker wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 6:17 pm
Anyway to do it without ObiHai?

I have a PAP2
I could be completely wrong, but I'm not aware of an option that's similar to disabling Use302ToCallForward in the PAP2.
If so, no: call forwarding won't work without using FPL's portal.

Perhaps someone else knows for sure. Basically, the call needs to be bridged when using FPL.

Other than offering Follow Me, FPL disabled call forwarding due to potential abuse, AFAIK. Unless the calls are bridged, forwarding doesn't work.
Last edited by Webslinger on Oct 17th, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
For those who need it, I've updated the Obi200/202 guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

Server failover has been enabled again in this guide. It's a pretty big update.
Last edited by Webslinger on Oct 17th, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7423 posts
392 upvotes
Is it something going on with FPL ? I just notice I can't make outgoing call and if I call my FPL number from my cell phone, it went to voicemail directly. I know my OBi200 is working as the Google Voice on second line setup is working fine.

Any clue ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7423 posts
392 upvotes
Update: I just login my FPL account and SIP Status is disconnected ?? Is it supposed to be connected ? Honestly, I don't know the technical setting but I didn't touch the setting since I set it up years ago and have been working fine............

What do I need to do to make it work again? Thanks for any help
rdx wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
Is it something going on with FPL ? I just notice I can't make outgoing call and if I call my FPL number from my cell phone, it went to voicemail directly. I know my OBi200 is working as the Google Voice on second line setup is working fine.

Any clue ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:38 pm
Update: I just login my FPL account and SIP Status is disconnected ??
Always check your registration status in the ATA instead of from your FPL account portal. The FPL web account portal is slower to update realtime registration status than your ATA is.

1) Dial ***1.
2) Enter that IP address into a web browser, and login to your ATA.
3) Navigate to Satus-->System Status-->SP(FPL) Service Status-->Status
Is it supposed to be connected ?
Yes.

What do I need to do to make it work again?
The sure method is to reset all SP (FPL) settings back to default and use the latest version of the PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

From page 47 of the guide:

Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In
your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (remember that if you used Obitalk.com to provision your ATA, you must continue to use it unless you disable OBitalk Provisioning in your ATA), navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL)
Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and
60000. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the
“submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use
Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.
Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the
ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for
this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's
Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.
Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working
properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following
conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs
this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry
Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP
address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address,
the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval
(and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where
the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep
Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be
created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often
180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating
frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA.
Again, X_KeepaliveExpires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers
may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer
easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I
tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two
settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option.
The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for
UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

C. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 19 of the PDF guide). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegistrationRetryInterval should be 120. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5
minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending
registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer to a
different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca,
voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. If you followed this guide
properly, chances are you haven’t been temporarily IP banned and should skip ahead to step D.

D. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting
data)–>ATA (in that order).
Last edited by Webslinger on Oct 26th, 2017 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:32 pm
Is it something going on with FPL ?
No. http://status.fongo.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7423 posts
392 upvotes
Ok, thanks for all the details. Will check it out when I am home. Honestly, I haven't touched it since I set it up years ago. I now need to look for the user menu regarding how to access the ATA LOL
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:27 am
Always check your registration status in the ATA instead of from your FPL account portal. The FPL account is slower to update realtime registration status than your ATA is.

1) Dial ***1.
3) Navigate to Satus-->System Status-->SP(FPL) Service Status-->Status

Yes.

The sure method is to reset all SP (FPL) settings back to default and use the latest version of the PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

From page 47 of the guide:

Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In
your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL)
Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and
60000. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the
“submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use
Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.
Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the
ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for
this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's
Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.
Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working
properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following
conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs
this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry
Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP
address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address,
the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval
(and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where
the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep
Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be
created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often
180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating
frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA.
Again, X_KeepaliveExpires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers
may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer
easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I
tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two
settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option.
The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for
UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

C. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 19 of the PDF guide). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600, and
RegistrationRetryInterval should be 120. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5
minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending
registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer to a
different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca,
voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent SIP ALG features in routers. If you followed this guide
properly, chances are you haven’t been temporarily IP banned and should skip ahead to step D.

D. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting
data)–>ATA (in that order).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:45 am
Honestly, I haven't touched it since I set it up years ago.
I believe you, but that really doesn't matter. NAT corruption or other issues can develop on your end without you doing anything (explained in step B above).
I now need to look for the user menu regarding how to access the ATA
1) Dial ***1.
3) By default, the login is

User: admin
Password: admin

(No one with a device connected to the internet should be using default passwords.)

If you use the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind
that you must continue using it to configure your ATA unless you disable Obitalk
Provisioning first. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten
(they will be transferred from your Obitalk.com account to your ATA) by what you
previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1.
Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk
Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Afterwards,
obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP
address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device
settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires
using the Obitalk.com web portal if your Obihai ATA is using post-OAuth 2.0 firmware
(which it probably is).

I strongly suggest that you to go through everything, step by step, slowly, in this PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Feb 7, 2008
350 posts
140 upvotes
St Catharines
Easiest out-of-the-box ATA for use with freephoneline.ca?

Goal: Set my parents up with a new phone number from freephoneline.ca (single personal line, no need to port old number, no business lines, no fax).

Request: Advice for an ATA that is easy to set up and maintain since they have no technical skills, and I'm not local, and also it's frustrating as anything to try and give them tech support (basically, I'd like to do the phone equivalent of switching them from Windows to a Chromebook).

Router: R700 router (which I see can complicate use of the OBI ATAs)

Question(s):
I've searched through this forum and some of the linked guides and OBI seems to be the consensus choice; however, I did read a few posts saying that the Grandstream HT5* might be easier and cheaper to setup (we have no need for power-user features). I also see that the HT5* is a bit dated, and that there are newer HT8* models available, but no discussion of them per se. Is there a model in particular that would be 'best' for our needs, (or, another brand altogether)? Are there relevant guides to setting up those devices?

Thank you kindly for the organized and detailed information you've all shared so far, and I apologize if this has been covered previously and my search missed it.
~M
Mobile: Koodo - 8gb 55$ Canada-wide
Internet: Carrytel 60/10 29$
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
mgrimace wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 5:10 pm
Easiest out-of-the-box ATA for use with freephoneline.ca?
Doesn't matter

In general, there's a right way to provision FPL, and there's a wrong/incomplete way. And the right way is not extremely different on most consumer ATAs.

Moreover, some ATAs are incapable of providing call blocking, Nomorobo, forwarding, direct inward dialing (using an Auto Attendant to be able to dial into the ATA and access all services provisioned on it), etc. with FPL.
Why someone would pay money for something inferior than an OBi200 or OBi202 ATA is beyond me.

There's two different guides here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805.
The server failover guide provides more reliability, but if it's too complicated for you to follow, there's a non-failover guide.
You can simply skip sections easily that you're not interested in. The guides tell you when to skip sections.

I might be a little biased because I wrote those guides, but, in my opinion, they're probably the most comprehensive of any of the guides found on FPL's forums.
There's also a FAQ section at the back of them.

Advice for an ATA that is easy to set up and maintain
Given server failover provides increased reliability, using the OBi200/202 ATA failover guide makes the most sense, with respect to maintenance.
since they have no technical skills, and I'm not local
You could maintain their ATA remotely using Obitalk.com. However, imo, FPL is not a good choice for those who have "no technical skills."
FPL doesn't provide free technical support for device configuration issues or for problems that are on the user's end. Frankly, most problems I encounter are on the user's end.
(Also, it's impossible to expect me, for example, to be everyone's technical support constantly in the event of a problem.)

Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs also have an additional setting that helps deal with one-way audio issues that other ATAs don't offer.
And one-way audio issue with FPL can be more prevalent than with other SIP services due to the way FPL configures its switches.

FPL offers great value, in the long run, but if you think you're going to need tons of technical support, FPL probably isn't for you.
and also it's frustrating as anything to try and give them tech support
You could use teamviewer for free: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Install it on your computer, and install teamviewer on your parents' PC.
Router: R700 router (which I see can complicate use of the OBI ATAs)
No. Early R7000 firmware can complicate the use of FPL in general. The issue isn't specific to Obihai ATAs.

If you have a Netgear R7000 router, you may need to install third party XWRT-Vortex firmware. I recommend doing this anyway to obtain easy access to both UDP Unreplied and UDP Assured timeout settings. Afterwards, turn off the router and the ATA. Turn on the router. Wait for it to be fully up and running (including Wi-Fi). Then turn on the ATA. Download XWRT-Vortex here: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm. In your router, navigate to Advanced Settings–>WAN–>NAT Passthrough–>SIP Passthrough. Change SIP Passthrough to “Enabled + NAT helper.” Click “Apply.”

I would switch router firmware to Xwrt-Vortex, regardless:
http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/index.htm
http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm (you need to download the zip file starting with "R7000").
For instructions, visit http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th ... 000.71108/.
I do not accept responsibility for failed firmware updates.

I use Asuswrt-Merlin. R7000 is great with Xwrt-Vortex (Asuswrt-Merlin) installed.

I've searched through this forum and some of the linked guides and OBI seems to be the consensus choice; however, I did read a few posts saying that the Grandstream HT5* might be easier and cheaper to setup
Sure. They're cheaper, but they lack the powerful call routing (and other) features of Obihai ATAs, and there isn't a guide written for FPL server failover with Grandstream ATAs. Given the price difference, any other ATA for home use is a waste of money, imo. Why anyone would limit him or herself to something inferior over a difference of $20-$45+tax doesn't make any sense to me at this price point.

I don't have the same hatred for Grandstream that some do:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31663052-
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31663360-
But, you know . . . this might be good advice for someone looking for a new ATA, imo: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31664134-

Obihai OBi200 and OBi202 ATAs are found at Newegg.ca.
If you don't care about Google Voice and will never use it, the OBi30x series can be ordered from Acrovoice.ca.

Where Obihai falls short is with their customer support policies, imo. But for ATAs intended for general residential use, the OBi200/202/212 series are the most powerful. FPL is pretty bare-bones service compared to some others. Obihai ATAs help make up for the lack of some features that are provided by other SIP services.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
How do I tell anonymous callers that I don't accept anon calls with an Obihai ATA?

So . . .

I saw this thread: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31674 ... on-message.

I'm not sure whether I want to incorporate the following into the OBi200/202 FPL guide since adding stuff is getting a bit annoying (larger file size plus I didn't
use hyperlinks for page references #I'msostupid) now due to how large the guide is.

Anyway, I'm not typically a fan of blocking anonymous callers because some of them can be doctors, hospital admins, etc.
But it's not unreasonable to give important people your smartphone number instead and to block anonymous calls with your FPL number.

For those who remember the steps I took with Tropo before to block telemarketers, the following steps are very similar.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Went to www.tropo.com
2. Created a free developer account
3. Verified account and logged in
4. Found this audio file: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31680429-
5. Clicked on "My Files" in Tropo and stuck the file in the www folder
6. Selected "My Apps" and clicked "create application"
7. Entered anon for Basic information (you can put whatever you want here)
8. Clicked on "new script"

Entered the following:

Code: Select all

<?php
say("http://hosting.tropo.com/mytropoaccount#/www/blockanonmessageaudiofilethatIadded.wav");
say("http://hosting.tropo.com/mytropoaccount#/www/blockanonmessageaudiofilethatIadded.wav");
hangup();
?>
9. Saved the script as anon.php (just has to end with .php)

10. Scrolled down and picked a free Tropo phone number for Canada

11. Clicked "create app"

12. Stuck {(?|un@@.|Un@@.|anon@.|Anon@.):sp1(mytroponumber)} in X_InboundCallRoute (towards the beginning or left) for FPL in my OBi

(where sp1 is FPL), but it doesn't matter what SP you use, as long as you call your Tropo phone number for free using it.

Rebooted

It does take a good 30 minutes to an hour before new Tropo apps to start working properly with phone numbers.

Anyway, anonymous callers are greeted by SIT tones followed by a message instructing them to reveal their number if they want to reach me (in this example).
I'm not sure if I'm going to use this process for myself yet. But some might be interested.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
ssaketh wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 4:46 am
Seems like I missed out on the Newegg deal for the Obi200. Any ongoing deals on an Obihai or should we keep our eyes peeled for black Friday?
OBi200 is on sale right now: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... g-2138620/
mgrimace wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 5:10 pm
cheaper
Again, at a $49.99+EHF+tax sales price, other, inferior ATAs don't make any sense to me:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... g-2138620/
Feb 7, 2008
350 posts
140 upvotes
St Catharines
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 7:26 am
OBi200 is on sale right now: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... g-2138620/

Again, at a $49.99+EHF+tax sales price, other, inferior ATAs don't make any sense to me:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... g-2138620/
Thanks so much for the heads up + help and advice, much appreciated!
Mobile: Koodo - 8gb 55$ Canada-wide
Internet: Carrytel 60/10 29$
TV: FTA Antenna + Netflix
Sep 12, 2017
144 posts
15 upvotes
I have a new build I'll be moving into in December. How do I get a local number and port it over to freephoneline without first signing up with bell to get assigned a local number first?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8071 posts
2372 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:52 pm
I have a new build I'll be moving into in December. How do I get a local number and port it over to freephoneline without first signing up with bell to get assigned a local number first?
Does Freephoneline not provide free numbers where your new building is?
https://www.freephoneline.ca/phoneNumber

Do you already have a Freephoneline VoIP unlock key? You can request a new number for free here:
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... are-moving

"If you are a [free] desktop app user and wish to obtain a new number, please abandon your account, and sign up for a new one."

If your new building is not in one of these places, then you're out of luck: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... go-network.

If FPL does not provide numbers where your building is (https://www.freephoneline.ca/phoneNumber), then you will have to get a number from somewhere and port it in. I have no experience doing that, so you'll need to ask someone else. I'm aware that some people will sign up with a pay as you go cell service for a month or so, and then port in. Perhaps there's a cheaper approach that I'm unfamiliar with.

The price is $25+tax to port in a number to FPL: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... r-porting-.