Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:09 pm
Hey, just a follow up on this... it is working now but there is some odd behaviour so it might help you if you ever need to help out someone else with AA. I actually went to disable the AA and I was going to submit/reboot and then enable it again to see if it worked. But, I went to disabled it (i.e. took off the check box under "Autoattendant" and then I called the phone number again for the ata and the AA actually answered. So, I have it working now even though it isn't enabled under that setting so I am going to leave it as is. I tried it with two different numbers.
The Enable checkbox for Auto Attendant does nothing. That's a bug that, AFAIK, has never been fixed for years: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 80#msg9580. So, AA is always on, but the only way to reach it is through X_InboundCallRoute or by dialing **0 (Physical Interfaces-->Phone Port-->OutboundCallRoute--> {**0:aa}) from a handset attached to the ATA.

For strictly making phone calls is there a big difference between the quality on a Linksys Pap2 vs. an obi device?
The echo canceller is supposed to be improved in Obihai ATAs, but if you weren't getting any echo using the PAP2 anyway, then the answer is no.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Mar 13, 2013
217 posts
75 upvotes
LONDON
hi all,

I am currently trying to set up freephoneline with LG G4, which does not have a native SIP dialer. I have experimented with a few sip dialer but can't find one that works properly. I seek your help.

I have paid for the unlock key. I am on a data-only (Fido) plan.

Using Zoiper, as an example, freephone works great on wifi. Both incoming and outgoing calls works as expected with good quality.

On Fido data, I can dial out. It works as expected, quality is good.

However, when receiving a call, I can pick up the call, but I cannot hear anything or can the caller hear anything fro me.

I have also tried CSipSimple, but it cannot receive incoming call if the phone is idle/stand-by (i.e. screen off).

My questions are:

1) what sip (free and ad free preferred) dialer is commended on android?
2) what are some of the settings I should adjust to make incoming call work properly on data?

any help is very much appreciated,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
chene7 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 11:11 pm
hi all,

I am currently trying to set up freephoneline with LG G4, which does not have a native SIP dialer. I have experimented with a few sip dialer but can't find one that works properly. I seek your help.

I have paid for the unlock key. I am on a data-only (Fido) plan.

Freephoneline was never developed specifically for anything other as a basic home phone replacement (it's intended to be used with ATAs/IP Phones using a wired Ethernet connection). The reason i’m stating this is due to the registration limit restriction, which I mention below. For mobile devices that restriction is somewhat limiting. The smartphone app that Fibernetics, Freephoneline and Fongo's parent company, intends for use with smartphones is Fongo Mobile, which is almost exactly the same service as Freephoneline, except you're forced to use the Fongo Mobile app. Fongo Mobile supports SMS while FPL doesn't.

Note that you can't have your FPL account simultaneously registered in a SIP app (Groundwire, for example) and in another device (ATA, IP Phone, another SIP app, etc.). Only the most recent registration will be valid. The older registration will not. You may only register your FPL account on one device at any given time. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. The most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The previously registered device will not. Registration is required for incoming calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls (unless you specify that registration is required for outgoing calls in the device or app being used).

What I typically do is choose to not register my FPL account using Groundwire (I have the FPL account set to "Off -- Do Not Register" for incoming rings in Groundwire). I can then make then make an outbound call using Groundwire. But during that call period, inbound calls to the ATA will not work. When I end the call in Groundwire, inbound calls to the ATA work again. In Groundwire, under advanced settings for your FPL account, I ensure that I have disabled "Outgoing calls need registration."

You can also disconnect your ATA and just use Groundwire (register your FPL account in Groundwire) while traveling. Incoming calls to your FPL number would ring in Groundwire.

Using Zoiper, as an example, freephone works great on wifi. Both incoming and outgoing calls works as expected with good quality.

On Fido data, I can dial out. It works as expected, quality is good.

However, when receiving a call, I can pick up the call, but I cannot hear anything or can the caller hear anything fro me.
Is the caller using a VoIP service? Have you tested with an incoming call from a regular landline or mobility service instead? The problem may be on the incoming caller's end.

You can try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the proxy/registration server. The purpose of that server is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. Given that you're on cellular data when this problem occurs, I'm skeptical that will help, but trying doesn't hurt anything. It would pretty disconcerting if voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 does work (wouldn't look great for Fido--or, at least, it would seem pretty odd).

Also, visit
wip-fido-lte-data-plan-tech-discussion- ... #p29455518
wip-fido-lte-data-plan-tech-discussion- ... #p29464900 (important post)
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/20/roge ... ted-users/
I don't know if the issue is IPv6 related. If Fongo Mobile works for you over cellular data, I'm not sure why FPL wouldn't--unless Fongo Mobile supports SIP with IPv6 while
FPL doesn't (I have no clue whether that's the case).
I'm not familiar with your phone, and I don't use Android. But with some Android models (and service providers), you can
force IPv4: https://www.pocketables.com/2013/11/tip ... xus-5.html.
Try contacting your provider, Fido, and LG for more help.

You can also try asking for a "forced registration" by submitting a ticket (mention your one way audio issues) at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Select VoIP Unlock Key-->My Account Inquiry for the issue type. I'm skeptical that will help though because you're not having issues over Wi-Fi. If you're going to send
in a ticket anyway, please ask whether FPL supports IPv6 with SIP (and also ask if Fongo Mobile does). I would actually be interested in the answer about IPv6.

Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions.
1) what sip (free and ad free preferred) dialer is commended on android?
I don't use Android, so I can't make a recommendation. However, it seems to me that a number of Android users on RFD are now using Groundwire, which is what I use on iOS. I'm doubtful that switching apps is going to solve your problem, but if you're looking for a new SIP app, there's a number of people on RFD using Groundwire now.
what are some of the settings I should adjust to make incoming call work properly on data
You shouldn't have to do much of anything, other than ensure FPL is registered and that no other device or app is attempting to register the same FPL account.
You can check registration in the smartphone app and also at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.
Check SIP Status and SIP User Agent. If you ever see a SIP User Agent that you don't recognize, someone else is using your FPL SIP credentials without your permission.
Note that Registration Interval/Expiry be should 3600 seconds (1 hour).
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

More than 5 registration attempts within 5 minutes can result in a temporary IP ban.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Mar 13, 2013
217 posts
75 upvotes
LONDON
@Webslinger

Thank you for the detail explanation. Indeed I was using my FPL with an ATA previously and was simply testing it on my android phone before I purchase another unlock key. In the process, I have disconnected my ATA (so only 1 device is registered at a time).

Like I said, I initially tested the Android SIP client on wifi and both incoming/outgoing call works. When switching to Fido data, only out-going call works; incoming call from a real cell phone (Bell) will ring the FPL but when answered, nor I or the caller can hear each other; it was a 2-way silence.

I'll experiment it a bit more.

regards,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
chene7 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 8:55 pm
and was simply testing it on my android phone before I purchase another unlock key.
I'm going to be honest: I don't advise using FPL with smartphones over cellular data. If you really want to go with Fibernetics on a smartphone, Fongo Mobile usually makes more sense unless the Android firmware doesn't work well with Fongo Mobile (and that can happen).
Like I said, I initially tested the Android SIP client on wifi and both incoming/outgoing call works. When switching to Fido data, only out-going call works; incoming call from a real cell phone (Bell) will ring the FPL but when answered, nor I or the caller can hear each other; it was a 2-way silence.
Typically, I would associate this sort of problem with an RTP port/SIP ALG issue, but there's no home router involved.

The following section that I wrote previously still applies:

1. You can try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the proxy/registration server. The purpose of that server is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. Given that you're on cellular data when this problem occurs, I'm skeptical that will help, but trying doesn't hurt anything. It would pretty disconcerting if voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 does work (wouldn't look great for Fido--or, at least, it would seem pretty odd).

2. Also, visit
wip-fido-lte-data-plan-tech-discussion- ... #p29455518
wip-fido-lte-data-plan-tech-discussion- ... #p29464900 (important post from daniyo27)
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/20/roge ... ted-users/
I don't know if the issue is IPv6 related. If Fongo Mobile works for you over cellular data, I'm not sure why FPL wouldn't--unless Fongo Mobile supports SIP with IPv6 while
FPL doesn't.
I'm not familiar with your phone, and I don't use Android.
But with some Android models (and service providers), you can
force IPv4
: https://www.pocketables.com/2013/11/tip ... xus-5.html.
Try contacting your provider, Fido, and LG for more help.

3. You can also try asking for a "forced registration" by submitting a ticket (mention your one way audio issues) at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Select VoIP Unlock Key-->My Account Inquiry for the issue type. I'm skeptical that a "forced registration" will help though because you're not having issues over Wi-Fi. If you're going to send
in a ticket regardless, please ask whether FPL supports IPv6 with SIP (and also ask if Fongo Mobile does). I would actually be interested in the answer about IPv6.

4. Ensure you're not using a VPN when testing.

5. Seems unlikely this problem would be due to a codec mismatch, but ensure you’re using G.711u only when troubleshooting.

6. In order to troubleshoot properly, a SIP trace or log files of some sort would be needed. If either app developer you're currently using is willing to collect logs and help you troubleshoot that would be another avenue to pursue. The peer RTP IP address from FPL is 208.65.240.165 (for the audio stream). The local (on your cellphone) RTP Port would be a random one within the UDP port range specified by the app. If RTP is being blocked for some reason that would explain why you're not hearing anything.

Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions. I can't reproduce your issue, but I'm not using your cellphone or Fido.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 13th, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1111 posts
30 upvotes
Hello

I was wondering if someone could help.

I've been using freephoneline with a obi200 for a few years now.

Withing the last few weeks when I dial many numbers I get the message the my call was rejected by the service provider reason 480.

The last time this happened I unpluggd the obi and replugged it again and was able to make my call.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9429 posts
983 upvotes
GTA
I am going to signup for an account for my mom. In the new account process I see it asks for a mobile phone to get SMS verification for the account setup. Are you only allowed one account per cell phone number? I don't remember if I had to provide my cell number when I signed up many years ago. I would prefer not to use her cell number to signup and just use mine or use a landline if it is possible for verification (I know can receive text to landline sometimes).

So my question is about setting up the account, not receiving sms messages later on the FPL number.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
fogo wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 12:28 pm

Withing the last few weeks when I dial many numbers I get the message the my call was rejected by the service provider reason 480.
Sip error 480 means temporarily unavailable, but it can be triggered by an FPL user attempting to use too many simultaneous registrations. FPL only allows 2 channels at any time, by the way: 1 incoming and 1 outgoing call, for example. If rebooting the ATA worked, it may have helped clear a call that was in progress. Certainly a new registration with the ATA would prevent incoming calls for any other device that was registered with your FPL SIP credentials. And other devices would lose registration.

Note that you can't have your FPL account simultaneously registered in a SIP app (Groundwire, for example) and in another device (ATA, IP Phone, another SIP app, etc.). Only the most recent registration will be valid. The older registration will not. You may only register your FPL account on one device at any given time. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. The most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The previously registered device will not. Registration is required for incoming calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls (unless you specify that registration is required for outgoing calls in the device or app being used).

If you ever see a SIP user agent that you don’t recognize at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings you’ve been hacked (someone else is using your FPL account). It may also be useful to check your ATA’s registration and call status when this problem occurs.

From http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.phpf=8&t=19286&p=75587

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt (page 188)
480 Temporarily Unavailable

The callee's end system was contacted successfully but the callee is
currently unavailable (for example, is not logged in, logged in but
in a state that precludes communication with the callee, or has
activated the "do not disturb" feature). The response MAY indicate a
better time to call in the Retry-After header field. The user could
also be available elsewhere (unbeknownst to this server). The reason
phrase SHOULD indicate a more precise cause as to why the callee is
unavailable. This value SHOULD be settable by the UA. Status 486
(Busy Here) MAY be used to more precisely indicate a particular
reason for the call failure.

This status is also returned by a redirect or proxy server that
recognizes the user identified by the Request-URI, but does not
currently have a valid forwarding location for that user.

480 SIP errors are also caused by capacity issues. FPL offers a maximum of 2 channels (you can have a maximum of two concurrent calls) per account. With some service providers, trying to exceed that 2 channel limit produces that 480 error. Possibly trying to register your FPL account with another device or SIP app simultaneously could cause that 480 SIP error. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status). In other words people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps/desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28918051- (At that link you'll see the 480 error with FPL).

Should you find the problem is only happening with a specific phone number, submit a ticket: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 587#p75585

Finally, please use this PDF guide to ensure your ATA is configured properly: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 12th, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 4:08 pm
I am going to signup for an account for my mom. In the new account process I see it asks for a mobile phone to get SMS verification for the account setup. Are you only allowed one account per cell phone number? I don't remember if I had to provide my cell number when I signed up many years ago.
I doubt you did. I never did. It’s a newer (last few years) process that’s in place to help prevent abuse/fraud.

I would prefer not to use her cell number to signup and just use mine or use a landline if it is possible for verification (I know can receive text to landline sometimes).

So my question is about setting up the account, not receiving sms messages later on the FPL number.
I really have no clue what the limitations are with new FPL account verifications. If you need help, submit a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Select Freephoneline Desktop App—>Activiation Code Assitance for the issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1111 posts
30 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 5:40 pm
Sip error 480 means temporarily unavailable, but it can be triggered by an FPL user attempting to use too many simultaneous channels. FPL only allows 2 channels at any time: 1 incoming and 1 outgoing call, for example. If rebooting the ATA worked, it may have helped clear a call that was in progress. Certainly a new registration with the ATA would prevent incoming calls for any other device that was registered with your FPL SIP credentials.

If you ever see a SIP user agent that you don’t recognize at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings you’ve been hacked (someone else is using your FPL account). It may also be useful to check your ATA’s registration and call status when this problem occurs.

From http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.phpf=8&t=19286&p=75587

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt (page 188)
480 Temporarily Unavailable

The callee's end system was contacted successfully but the callee is
currently unavailable (for example, is not logged in, logged in but
in a state that precludes communication with the callee, or has
activated the "do not disturb" feature). The response MAY indicate a
better time to call in the Retry-After header field. The user could
also be available elsewhere (unbeknownst to this server). The reason
phrase SHOULD indicate a more precise cause as to why the callee is
unavailable. This value SHOULD be settable by the UA. Status 486
(Busy Here) MAY be used to more precisely indicate a particular
reason for the call failure.

This status is also returned by a redirect or proxy server that
recognizes the user identified by the Request-URI, but does not
currently have a valid forwarding location for that user.

480 SIP errors are also caused by capacity issues. FPL offers a maximum of 2 channels (you can have a maximum of two concurrent calls) per account. With some service providers, trying to exceed that 2 channel limit produces that 480 error. Possibly trying to register your FPL account with another device or SIP app simultaneously could cause that 480 SIP error. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status). In other words people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps/desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28918051- (At that link you'll see the 480 error with FPL).

Should you find the problem is only happening with a specific phone number, submit a ticket: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 587#p75585
Thank you, much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9429 posts
983 upvotes
GTA
Hey Webslinger,

Wondering what your thoughts are on other providers vs. freephoneline and if you are planning to port over a number, buy the SIP credentials and don't make a lot of calls if it is worth the freephoneline vs. Voip.MS or something? My friend has his phone setup with Voip.MS and his parents line. I currently use Freephoneline but I am looking to help out my sisters get rid of their homephones. They want to keep their numbers. They want to have an ATA device vs. softphone option. Do you use both providers and others as well? I don't like that Voip.MS invoices in USD but it still seems like the best alternative to compare to freephoneline for low volume calls. I know I missed the recent free porting promo from them but it seems like the price for Freephoneline keeps to creep up ($89.99 for credentials and $25 to port the number). I know I can do the math of around maybe $3 a month with Voip.MS vs. $89.99 (don't know what Voip.MS charges for porting off hand so just comparing the base) so that would be less than 3 years for the break even point.

Just curious of your thoughts
Oct 25, 2014
169 posts
78 upvotes
Boswell, BC
Thanks Webslinger for your failover guide!

My experience has been that once my preferred server becomes unreachable, the OBi200 registers the next reachable entry in the list of candidate servers as a PrimaryProxyServer. But it seems that once this happens, the OBi200 stays with the 'backup' entry and never checks if my preferred server is back up.

Is there a solution for (automatically) reconnecting to my preferred server without rebooting? What happens if I enable X_SecondaryRegistration? X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval defaults to 60 minutes, but since that didn't seem to work (at least not over a recent period of about 12 hrs after my preferred server came back up), I wonder if checking the primary requires X_SecondaryRegistration to be on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
YLSF wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 6:00 pm
Hey Webslinger,
Wondering what your thoughts are on other providers vs. freephoneline and if you are planning to port over a number, buy the SIP credentials and don't make a lot of calls if it is worth the freephoneline vs. Voip.MS or something? My friend has his phone setup with Voip.MS and his parents line. I currently use Freephoneline but I am looking to help out my sisters get rid of their homephones. They want to keep their numbers. They want to have an ATA device vs. softphone option. Do you use both providers and others as well?
I use VoIP.ms for iNUM only, pretty much. I used to use them for occasional long distance calls as well, but Anveo Direct typically has better long distance rates, in particular when using Tier 1 carriers, for the places I make international long distance calls to.

I don't know what you mean by "ATA device vs. softphone option". Does that mean they want to use a single phone number with an ATA and also with Groundwire on a smartphone, for example? If so, they're probably better off using VoIP.ms, creating a subaccount, registering the subaccount in Groundwire, and then creating a ring group at VoIP.ms that includes the subaccount. However, if they want a home phone replacement service only and are also in Southern Ontario (able to more easily get low pings and minimal jitter to FPL's servers), like you are, FPL is a no-brainer to me. I mean, you're going to be charged, at bare minimum, for each outgoing minute with VoIP.ms. I like not having to monitor how many outgoing minutes my household uses, but you know your sisters' usage patterns better than I do. FPL really doesn't make a ton of sense as a mobile service due to the 3600s registration period/interval (and, more importantly, the risk of getting temporarily IP banned), in my opinion.

There's also Anveo (USD), which is Anveo’s retail service (as opposed to Anveo Direct’s wholesale service that’s intended for use with a PBX), but it's not considered a newcomer friendly VoIP service. They do have special rates for Obihai customers: https://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp. I don't really want to start discussing other services in the FPL thread. That starts becoming off-topic.
I don't like that Voip.MS invoices in USD but it still seems like the best alternative to compare to freephoneline for low volume calls. I know I missed the recent free porting promo from them but it seems like the price for Freephoneline keeps to creep up ($89.99 for credentials and $25 to port the number). I know I can do the math of around maybe $3 a month with Voip.MS vs. $89.99 (don't know what Voip.MS charges for porting off hand so just comparing the base) so that would be less than 3 years for the break even point.
You probably understand your sisters' needs and finances better than I do. FWIW, certain credit cards such as Home Trust Visa and Rogers Mastercard offer no forex fees (or in the case of Rogers MC, they give you cash back in excess of the forex fee). You might want to visit http://forums.redflagdeals.com/credit-cards-f189/.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 22nd, 2018 4:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
emma30 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:05 pm
But it seems that once this happens, the OBi200 stays with the 'backup' entry and never checks if my preferred server is back up.
Your ATA does check.

By the way, no Freephoneline server has been down since Tuesday, January 30, 2018 between 12:30 p.m. EST and about 3 p.m. EST: https://status.fongo.com/.
There was an outbound call issue with FPL between 11:23 a.m. and 11:40 a.m. EST on Nov. 23rd, 2018, but the proxy servers weren't down.

Log in to your ATA (dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser). Navigate to Status-->System Status-->PrimaryProxyServer

You'll see the Proxy server you're registered with first. Then for the next entry, you'll see when your ATA is going to retry registration with your preferred server again.
For example, you may see something like
"208.65.240.44:5060;expire in 3502s; renew in 2902s;Retry 162.213.111.22:5060 in 54s". In this example, voip2.freephoneline.ca (162.213.111.22:5060) is the preferred server (but is failing registration for whatever reason--possibly due to you being temporarily IP banned by voip2.freephoneline.ca). The ATA will attempt to register with the primary server again in 54 seconds. voip.freephoneline.ca (208.65.240.44:5060) is the proxy server the ATA is currently registered with instead.

The default interval for the ATA to attempt to register with the Primary Server once more after failing registration is based on the value for X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval, which is found by navigating to ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP in your Obihai ATA.
I'm going to need to update the PDF guide at some point to remove Tropo references since that service no longer works. I've been preoccupied with other things, such as health complications, but hopefully I'll get some more free time in 2019. I may decide to to change X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval in the guide
to 7200 seconds to help ensure temporary IP bans with the primary server have a chance to clear.
Currently the default is 60 seconds. That's an oversight on my part. I was mostly thinking of scenarios where a proxy server was actually down--as opposed to a FPL user being temporarily IP banned when I wrote the PDF guide. But FPL's proxy servers are rarely down. Temporary IP bans are more common.
Regardless, clearly, 60 seconds is too short. Freephoneline stipulates 120 seconds for failed registration retry interval.

More than 5 registration attempts within 5 minutes can result in a temporary IP ban.

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

If the ATA loses registration for any reason, incoming calls won't work on it. Note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings (or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device). Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. If you simply want to make outgoing calls using your FPL number, configure, but don't register the account, on the SIP app being used. This is also important to consider if you're using Freephoneline's desktop application (don't have it running while using your ATA with the same FPL account). Additionally, keep in mind that if someone else is also attempting to register the same SIP credentials on another device where you live, too many registration attempts can result in a temporary IP ban. If you ever see a SIP user agent that you don't recognize after logging in at the above link, someone else is using your credentials (possibly, you've been hacked in that scenario).

Each time your reboot your ATA, it's attempting to register with FPL. The only way to clear a temporary IP ban by a specific Proxy Server is to wait until the next registration period (or a couple of hours to be safe, I would imagine) before attempting to register with the specific proxy server (that's IP banned you) again. If that's happened to you, you'll have to remove that specific proxy server from your local DNS records in your ATA, at least until the ban clears to ensure your ATA isn't attempting to register with the problematic proxy server--or change X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval to, perhaps, a couple of hours (7200 seconds), which is probably easier.

Is there a solution for (automatically) reconnecting to my preferred server without rebooting? What happens if I enable X_SecondaryRegistration?
FPL doesn't support secondary registrations.

With respect to registration failures due to corrupt NAT associations in routers (as opposed to temporary IP bans), in
your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (whichever method you choose; don't use both methods; stick with one method), navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL)
Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and
60000. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the
“submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use
Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.
Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the
ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for
this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's
Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working
properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following
conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs
this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry
Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP
address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address,
the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval
(and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where
where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 17, and the NAT Keep
Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be
created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

(the above settings are making reference to those in Obihai ATAs)

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin (I would avoid any model less powerful than an RT-AC68U), third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. My understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

Apparently, Mikrotik routers also allow users to change both Assured and Unreplied UDP timeout settings as well:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/recomme ... #p28056619 (I've never used them and can't advise buying them or answering questions about them)
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/recomme ... #p28059363
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/recomme ... #p28059444

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 17 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

ISPs do not issue customers routers that can do the things I just listed. Typically it's far better to have your own router with strong QoS functions and a restricted cone NAT firewall,
disable whatever SIP ALG feature is enabled in the router, and stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode (for Bell Hubs you can just do PPPoE login using your own router if you want). For Bell Hubs, visit please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... r-1993629/. For Rogers Hitron, visit https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... ridgemodem (CGN3 instructions also apply to CODA-4582).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 27th, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:51 pm

The default interval for the ATA to attempt to register with the Primary Server once more after failing registration is based on the value for X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval, which is found by navigating to ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP in your Obihai ATA.
I'm going to need to update the PDF guide at some point to remove Tropo references since that service no longer works. I've been preoccupied with other things, such as health complications, but hopefully I'll get some more free time in 2019. I may decide to to change X_CheckPrimaryFallbackInterval in the guide
to 7200 seconds to help ensure temporary IP bans with the primary server have a chance to clear.
Currently the default is 60 seconds. That's an oversight on my part. I was mostly thinking of scenarios where a proxy server was actually down--as opposed to a FPL user being temporarily IP banned when I wrote the PDF guide. But FPL's proxy servers are rarely down. Temporary IP bans are more common.
Regardless, clearly, 60 seconds is too short. Freephoneline stipulates 120 seconds for failed registration retry interval.
@emma30
The OBi200/202 PDF guide has been updated to version 1.60: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.